But in general, I'm never THAT satisfied. I always want it to be better than it is 90% of the time. There are times that it is spectacular (like when the peanut butter flavor at Yoppi is really creamy, really peanut buttery, and topped with dark chocolate shavings ... or the insanely good peanut butter flavor at JP Licks in Boston, in a cone, with sprinkles ... drool). But for the most part, froyo in San Francisco just always leaves me wanting something better.
I recently read about a place I hadn't tried yet - Nubi Yogurt, in Portero. It gets great reviews. The weather was warm and sunny Saturday, so I went to check it out.
It is a self serve place, with 12 different flavors, some sweet, some tart, a sorbet, a non-sugar option. Tons of toppings, ranging from dry ones (cereals, nuts, candy, etc) to wet ones (sauces, poppers, fresh fruits). Unfortunately, I didn't find a single flavor that I liked much. The frozen yogurt was overall too icy and not creamy enough for my taste.
- Plain tart (non-fat): Just tart, not very interesting flavor, icy.
- Pomegranate-Raspberry (non-fat): Kinda icy. Sweet, yet tart at the same time. Decent berry flavors. Favorite of the day.
- Lychee (non-fat): Just sweet, not good flavor, icy. [ Nice balance of tart and sweet, good flavor, but fairly icy. ]
- Taro (non-fat): Decent tartness, good taro flavor on the finish, but a bit icy.
- Sweet Coconut (low-fat): Slight coconut flavor but mostly just sweet, icy.
- Very Berry (non-fat): Icy and runny, not much berry flavor.
- French Vanilla (non-fat): Not creamy, not vanilla flavored, really quite bad.
- Chocolate (non-fat): Not creamy, icy, very dark, rich but not in a real chocolate way, not good.
- Coffee (non-fat, no sugar added): Icy, ok coffee flavor.
- White Chocolate Macadamia (non-fat): Medium icy, sorta strange flavor, not really able to pick up on white chocolate or macadamia.
- Snickerdoodle (non-fat): Good cinnamon flavor but icy.
- Red Velvet Cake (low-fat): Creamiest one I tried (hmm, I think being low-fat rather than non-fat had something to do with that!), but not much flavor.
- Oreo Cheesecake (non-fat): No real flavor at all, not oreo, nor cream cheese. Creamy though. Sad, as this sounded great!
- Gingerbread: Great ginger flavor, lots of spicing, pretty good, particularly swirled with eggnog.
- Eggnog (non-fat): Very creamy, very good spicing, one of my favorites.
- Peanut Butter Macaroon (low-fat): Some peanut butter flavor, but not any macaroon. Fairly creamy.
- Caramel Cookie (low-fat): Way too sweet, some caramel flavor.
- Dole's Pineapple: Sweet, icy but that is expected with sorbet, refreshing, good pineapple flavor.