Monday, November 11, 2013

Seasonal Offerings from Jamba Juice

If you've read my blog for a while, you have probably heard me mention that I was on a medically necessary liquids-only diet for months a few years ago, and thus smoothies were a huge part of my life.  During that time, I had way more than my share of smoothies, including of course, Jamba Juice, which I've reviewed before.  I was totally sick of smoothies, and have pretty much avoided them since.  I sorta grew to hate them.  After several weeks of consuming only liquids, it really doesn't matter how good a smoothie is, you just don't want another.  Years later, and smoothies still aren't really appealing to me.

But then I saw that Jamba juice offered a matcha green tea smoothie.  I've been loving matcha lately, and it sounded more like a Peet's matcha freddo or a Starbuck's matcha frappuchino than a smoothie, listed in the "Creamy Treats" section of the menu, made with frozen yogurt and not any fruit or vegetables.  So, even though I thought I'd never set foot inside a Jamba Juice again ... I did.

The Jamba Juice near me allows for ordering through your phone via Paypal, so I made my order, and then walked the few blocks to pick it up.  When I entered however, I was met with disappointment.  Jamba Juice discontinued the matcha!  (Although, outcry was so loud over this, that they are bringing it back ... soon).

Since I'd already paid via the phone app, the worker said she'd make me whatever I wanted in its place.  As I said, I don't like smoothies really.  I didn't want a classic smoothie.  I didn't really want anything.  I sadly glanced over the menu, pausing at the rest of the milkshake-like "Creamy Treats" section of the menu.  These are the ones that even Jamba Juice isn't trying to claim are healthy.  They are made with frozen yogurt and more decadent ingredients.  I've tried several of them before, and although I liked them more than the smoothies, I didn't find one that I really wanted to repeat.  Having no real good choice, I went for the seasonal special, the pumpkin smash.  I wasn't really sure if I'd like it or not, but, there wasn't anything I wanted more.

It was good, but I still really want to try that matcha, when it makes its return!

Pumpkin Smash. Original Size. $5.59.
Since Jamba Juice didn't have the matcha, the friendly worker upgraded me from the 16 ounce size I ordered to the "original" size, aka, 24 ounces.  It was massive!  I honestly didn't think I'd even come close to finishing it, yet somehow ... I did.  107 grams of sugar later, I somewhat regretted that move.  So. Much. Sugar.

It was creamy, icy, well blended.  Basically a milkshake.  A very pumpkin-y milkshake.  The spicing was present, but not all that strong.  It was sweet, but not too sweet.  It wasn't bad.  It wasn't great.  Would I go back for another?  Probably not.  But, if I found myself needing to pick a random Jamba Juice creation to get again, I'd consider it.

At $5.59 for the gigantic size, it was priced right in line with all of their other drinks, but I still find them to be really expensive and not worth the price.  For the fruit ones, I can somewhat understand, as fruit is expensive, but this was froyo, dairy base, and "pumpkin spice base", not exactly premium ingredients.
Jamba Juice on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails