Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Cookie Department

At a product fair, I was recently introduced to cookies from The Cookie Department, a local (Berkeley) based maker of pre-packaged cookes.  They make what they have deemed "functional" cookies.  Each type of cookie has a particular function.  In their words, "TCD bakes "Fully Functional" cookies. By taking classic cookie favorites fortified with innovative ingredients like coffee caffeine, superfoods, probiotics and whey protein, cookie customers receive extra health benefits in every mouthwatering bite."

Hmmm.  I am all for excuses to eat more cookies, but these just weren't that great.
Great Full.
This is a vegan sweet potato, cranberry and oatmeal cookie.

It was dry and crumbly, with a super strange taste.  I couldn't identify what I was tasting at all.  I did not like this.  I didn't know it was vegan until later, which might explain the dryness and crumbliness?
Chocolate Chip Nookie.
Chocolate Chip Nookie is a chocolate chip cookie, with maca, a Peruvian root said to increase vitality.  This one was soft with a good texture, but again, a super strange taste.  Do NOT like.

[ Update review: I again appreciated the soft texture, but there is something just completely off about the taste. ]
Cherry Bomb, Chocolate Chip Nookie.
The Cherry Bomb is a gluten-free chocolate cookie with cherries.  I did not like it either.  It was bitter, had a strange taste, and a funny texture.  I didn't know it was GF until I was writing this up, and that partially explains the texture issues I had at least.

Not pictured is the Tough Cookie.  A peanut butter based protein cookie.  It had ok peanut butter flavor, but it was not all that soft,  and just was not really that good.  I didn't like it.  But I found out later that it had 10g of protein in it.  Sure, compared to regular peanut butter cookies it wasn't good, but compared to say a power bar?  I'd pick it any day as a post-workout snack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails