Friday, August 22, 2014

Oogie’s Gourmet Popcorn

I really get munchy in the evenings, and popcorn is one of my favorite snacks.  Well, in particular, I always crave the kettle corn that I can only find in my hometown.  I've been on a quest to find something even remotely as good in San Francisco, but alas, my quests have come up empty.  I've found some pretty good caramel corn, and Ojan has a fondness for basic microwave popcorn, but still, nothing competes with the kettle corn from Lebanon, NH.  I'm not joking.

Anyway, I also sometimes try packaged popcorn.  Oogie's makes a slews of flavors, mostly savory, including interesting sounding varieties like Cracked Pepper & Asiago, Spicy Chipotle & Lime, Smoked Gouda, and Hatch Chilli con Queso. 

Oogie's popcorns are all gluten-free, non-GMO,  no trans-fat, all-natural, kosher, etc, etc.   I only have tried some of the more standard offerings.  I also saw on their website that they do indeed make a kettle corn, although I haven't encountered it.  I'm keeping my eyes open!
White Cheddar.
The first flavor I tried was white cheddar.  The popcorn itself was fine, large kernels, but it didn't taste like white cheddar at all to me.  Sure, there was a savory coating, but I didn't taste the desired cheesiness.  Meh.

I gave it to Ojan, who easily finished the bag, but said he didn't love it.
Movie Lovers Butter Popcorn.
After the disappointing white cheddar, I had no expectations for the Movie Lovers Butter Popcorn.  I assumed I'd try a few bites, take my notes, and hand it over to Ojan.

Instead, HE got only a few bites, and I got the majority of the bag.

The popcorn itself was clearly bagged popcorn, not as good as fresh, not as crisp, but not stale tasting either.

The remarkable part was the flavoring.  Movie Lovers was the right name for it.  It reminded me exactly of movie theater popcorn.  So crazy buttery.  In that not-actual-butter sort of way, clearly fake "essence" of butter.  And very salty.

The cheddar variety didn't have much flavor, but this most certainly did.  I felt a bit sick after eating it, but, I really enjoyed it.  Exactly like the movies!
Sun-Dried Tomato & Parmesan.
And finally, sun-dried tomato and parmesan.  Like the white cheddar, I just didn't care for it.  It did taste sun-dried tomato and perhaps slightly cheesy, but the savory flavor combination just didn't do it for me.

Again, nicely popped popcorn, large size kernels.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails