Friday, October 13, 2023

Bobo's Oat Bars

Update Reviews, 2021-2023

I've reviewed Bobo's products many times, so, skipping the intro this time around.

Oat Bites

"Everyone likes mini things! Oat bites are a mini version of Bobo's bars, perfect for a small treat or to complement the rest of your snack."
I've reviewed some of the "Bites" before, but to refresh your memory, these are smaller, snack size (or child size?) bars, a cute round style, great to have stashed in your bag when you need a quick pick me up, or a small bite to eat before hitting the gym but don't want a full breakfast.  

Bites come in two varieties: mini versions of the most popular flavors of the regular size bars, and, mini versions of their newer product, called Stuff'd bars.

Stuff'd

"Bobo's stuffed oat bars are a pre-stuffed trifecta of delicious nut butter: no mess during your enjoyment, and more protein!"
I was pretty excited when I saw Bobo's introduced the Stuff'd products.  Everything is more exciting with filling!  They come in full size bars and bites.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuff'd Bite.
"Every crumb of our Peanut Butter and Jelly Stuff'd Bites transports you to a joyful state of soft, gooey wonder – just like being a kid again. Gluten-free with 100% whole grain oats, Bobo's PB&J bites are the perfect blend of savory and sweet - and they're downright addicting. They're everything you want when you bite into a PB&J sandwich ... just without the mess."

Back in my original review of Bobo's products, I covered the pb & j inspired product Bobo's made at the time.  I found it ... lacking.  I wanted more from it.  Much more.

So I was eager to try out the new version, part of the "Stuff'd" product line, as I hoped it would, well, be "stuffed" full of goodness.  

The exterior is much the same as other Bobo's products - a reasonably soft, tasty, oat puck.  Some seem much softer than others, and it doesn't seem based on age.  You never know if a given Bobo's bar will be soft or not. It still amuses me that I like these, but I do.

The shell is where the peanut was incorporated in these.  No, sadly, there is no peanut butter layer iside, just the slight peanut flavor of the oat part.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuff'd Oat Bite: Inside.
Inside, it was ... ok.  

The first one I had really let me down.  Not nearly as stuffed as I wanted.  Really, I mostly wanted something ... more gooey?  And I definitely wanted more peanut butter flavor.  As it was, the product was nearly the same as all the other Bites - oat based puck, with slight, slight, sight peanut taste to it, and inside was a raspberry filling.  A decent amount of raspberry filling (I'm not calling it jelly, nor jam, because I couldn't quite identify it as a proper example of either!), but, it was not gooey in any way.  

**+, kinda disappointing, really.

The second one I had however was considerably better, and I don't just think it was adjusted expectations.  The peanut butter flavor was much stronger (although I still wanted some as the filling too).  Again, no peanut butter stuffing, but rather, just the peanut integrated into the exterior oat part.  But inside, yes, plenty of fruity filling.

***, considerably better.

After several of these, I declare them fine as an Oat Bite, but, they certainly do not deliver nearly as much peanut butter, nor jelly, gooeyness as I really want.
Apple Pie
"Bobo's Apple Pie Stuffed Oat Bite is the most American treat. This one is a classic, combining ground cinnamon and tart organic apples to create that Apple Pie flavor we all hold so dear to our hearts. We recommend with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. "

Do you like oatmeal?  Apple pie?  Then, you will probably like this.

Like all Bobo's Bites, the base is a pleasantly sweet and lightly spiced oatmeal puck.  Not too firm, not to soft and crumbly-messy.  Enjoyable as an oatmeal forward snack bar.  

Since this is a "stuff'd" product, inside is a filling: apple pie in this case.  There isn't a lot of it, and the filling is a bit dry, not as gloopy as apple pie filling from a can, but it does have a nice apple flavor, and, key for me, does not taste like applesauce.

Overall, an enjoyable item as a breakfast bite, and next time I'd like to try warming it up and serving with whipped cream to turn it more into a dessert.  ***+.

Full Size

They also of course make the standard full size bars, which I've reviewed in every flavor previously.  But then they came out with a new one ...
Cranberry Orange.
"Our Cranberry Orange oat bar mixes the slight bitterness of organic cranberries with a sweet, zesty orange citrus, making this bar a favorite of many. Every bite brings out a lively flavor guaranteed to remind you of summer days by the pool. We recommend this bar as the perfect pairing to a cup of green tea."

Cranberry orange always reminds me of my mother.  In my mind, that is "her" flavor.  She often makes holiday cranberry sauce with a lot of orange in it, or cranberry orange compound butter, and, if she's picking a muffin, besides morning glory (her real #1), she opts for cranberry orange.  And for me, it has never really been my thing.  Perhaps a more "grown up" flavor in my mind for many years, but, I'm a grown up now myself, and still rarely gravitate towards cranberry or orange for that matter.  Thus, I tried this somewhat in my mom's honor.

This bar didn't remind me of "summer days by the pool" as described, but it did remind me of winter holidays, and a taste of home.  Both the orange and cranberry flavors were strong - orange in the background, cranberries as pops of chewy flavor studded throughout.  As always I enjoyed the soft-ish oat bar format, sorta like a less messy muffin, and very breakfast appropriate.

I still don't gravitate towards these flavors, but, it was a nice bar if you do.  ***.

Update Reviews, 2018-2020

No need for an intro here, as I've reviewed Bobo's many times before (scroll down for earlier reviews, and proper intro).

I will say though, that I laugh when I read through Bobo's marketing, boasting about all the uses for their product, but the thing is ... I agree.  They are great for early morning exercise!  They are good for breakfast.  They do make for healthy kid's snacks.  I use them as an "on-the-go pick me up" all the time.  They could be a "perfect lunch pairing" or "meal on-the-go".  I'd imagine them as after school snack, workout protein boost, "travel companion", "outside adventure seeker", etc.  The marketing is funny, but, I think it does make sense.

I usually have Bobo's as a quick on the go breakfast, or in my bag to devour after an early morning workout.

Bites

"Everyone likes mini things! Oat bites are a mini version of Bobo's bars, perfect for a small treat or to complement the rest of your snack."
I love the form of the bites.  Perfectly snackable, filling enough due to the protein and oats, but never so big you feel loaded down.  Also, cute!
Lemon Poppyseed.
"Our Lemon Poppyseed bar is so delicious; the muffin man sends us an email from time-to-time trying to get a case or two. An adaptation of a coffee house favorite, this bar brings refreshing zest into the lives of its consumers, forevermore changing their outlook on life. It’s a perfect pairing for your favorite cup of coffee or tea."

I rarely like lemon/lime desserts or baked goods (and I *loathe* lemon curd!), but for some reason, lemon poppyseed muffins are on my "yes" list, so I was excited for this one.

The lemon flavor lived up.  The bar uses lemon oil which really gives it a strong lemon zing, and yup, the little crunch from the poppyseeds was there.  Add to that the base of rolled oats and pleasant sweetness characteristic of Bobo's bars, and, well, it was a winner for me, flavor-wise.

It was however rock solid.  And dry.  I'm not sure why, as I consumed it well within the eat-by date. I still enjoyed it quite a bit because the flavor was so good, but, something was certainly off.

Update Review: I had another about a year later, and was again surprised by how hard it was.  The lemon flavor was again actually great (just vibrant and full of zing!), and the lemon poppyseed combo worked great for me, but, this flavor in particular just seems to trend ... hard?  I still really liked it, but wished it was a bit softer.
Maple Pecan.
"Our Maple Pecan oat bar combines the sweet taste of maple syrup with a rich, buttery pecan crunch. Every bite is reminiscent of a warm pancake breakfast, making it the best way to jump start your morning … every morning."

This flavor sounded right up my alley.  Take an oatmeal base, and add in the maple syrup that I'd drizzle on a regular bowl of ice cream, and buttery pecans for crunch?

But it didn't really deliver.  Like the lemon poppyseed, the puck really seemed too hard and dried out.  The maple flavor didn't come through as maple, rather, just almost "fake sweet" tasting.  I did like the pecans.

Not sure what went wrong with this one either, I know I really do sometimes love Bobo's products.   I wonder if they have changed the recipe as they have scaled production?

Oat Bars

"Grab a box and share with a friend! With delicious and wholesome ingredients these oat bars will sure to be your new favorite snack! "
The oat bars are the full size product, heftier than a standard granola bar, and, if you read the nutrition label, consist of 2 servings per bar.  This always makes me laugh, because it doesn't really seem reasonable to think someone would open a wrapped, sealed package that looks like an individual serving, and split it in half, and wrap up half to save for later.  But if you do indulge in a full bar, beware that they are ~500 calories, perhaps a bit more than you'd expect.

Anyway.
Chocolate Chip.
I've had the chocolate chip flavor before, and although I liked the base flavor, I was disappointed by the extremely few chocolate chips in my bar.  Granted, it was a mini, but still, I expected more than, um, zero chips.

This one was better, a full size, big hearty bar, serving size listed as 2.

I loved the sweetness (not too sweet!), the texture (moist yet crumbly), and, the quality of the mini creamy milk chocolate chips.  I still wanted more chocolate, as in, um, I wanted a chocolate coating, but the number of chips in this were actually quite reasonable.

Overall, a good product, and I'd get it again, just with a side of chocolate to melt and dip it in ...
Almond Butter.
"Almonds are all the rage these days and our Almond Butter bar is no different. We mixed creamy almond butter with crunchy sliced almonds."

This was not a winner for me.  And the reason is simple: almond butter.  I just don't like it.  I like almonds.  I love peanut butter.  But almond butter always tastes oddly bitter to me, and I just don't like it.

The rest of the bar was fine, albeit quite simple.  Soft oats, slightly sweet from brown rice syrup and sugar, but besides that, the only other real ingredient was almond butter, and it left behind that signature almond bitterness that I couldn't get past.

Fine form factor, but not the variety for me.

Update Review, January 2018

I've reviewed Bobo's Bars before (original, 2016 update), but I tried a few new flavors, and a new branding.  It seems the "Bites" are now called "Minis"?
Coconut Mini.
"Our Coconut bar combines our hearty oats with sweet organic coconut flakes, transporting every eater to a tropical paradise. While we recommend consuming this bar on an island, it may also be enjoyed at every other moment in life."

This one was only ok.  The bar still had the same dense quality, the hearty taste that I enjoyed, it wasn't too sweet, and the brown rice syrup as a sweetener worked well to compliment the oats.  The coconut added additional texture and a bit of chew.

But I just wasn't into the coconut flavor, and it seemed harder than others I had in the past.
Coconut Bite (2020.
A few years later, I had another, and liked it more.

Again, some hearty taste I enjoyed, pleasant natural sweetness, and I was in a particularly coconut-inspired mood, so it really met my cravings.  As the last time though, I did find it considerably harder than the others.

I still enjoyed it, particularly when topped with a touch of coconut cream!
Chocolate Chip Mini.
"No offense to Chocolate Chip cookies, but our Chocolate Chip bar is kind of a big deal. This tasty treat feels more like dessert than breakfast, but without the guilt. The slow-burning oats leave you feeling satiated beyond measure, satisfying your hunger and your sweet tooth. "

As always, I liked the hearty, dense base, even though it makes no sense to like a hard oatmeal puck.  But for some reason, it just really hits the spot for me, the sweetness is just spot on.
"Chocolate Chip": Inside.
But ... after two bites, I was confused.  Where were the promised chocolate chips?

I think I had a dud, as it literally did not contain a single chocolate chip.  I still liked the base flavor, but, chocolate chip it was not.

Update Review, March 2016

A few months ago, I reviewed several flavors of Bobo's bars, which you can read about in my original review below.  They really shocked me, as I'm not generally a huge lover of bars, and these were quite great.  I describe them as oatmeal, but, in bar form.  Which doesn't sound like it should be good, but it is.  Oh, and some are gluten-free too.

So, I tried more varities (including some more fun ones!), this time, I went for the smaller "Bobo's Bites".

Bobo's Bites

"The perfect size for school lunches or a quick snack on the go. Enjoy a tasty Bobo’s Bite any time you want a small snack to keep you going!"
Bobo's recently introduced a new product line: "Bites".  These are smaller, 1.3 ounce bars,  ~180 calories, rather than 3 ounce, nearly 400 calorie "bars" I tried before.  This size makes more sense to me, as I found it odd that the larger size one had a serving size listed of 2, because who would really eat half a bar?

The Bites are all gluten-free, and offered in only three varieties: original, apple pie, and peanut butter and jelly.  I thought it was interesting that they only make gluten-free versions of the Bites, whereas the bars are available in both gluten-free and regular.  My guess is that they are more successful in the gluten-free market, and these are their most popular varieties?

Anyway.  I continue to think Bobo's bars/bites are awesome.  I don't entirely understand why, but, they are.  Get them.
Original Gluten-Free Bobo's Bite.
"Bobo’s Bites Original Flavor has all the great flavor of our Original Bar in a smaller snack size Bite!"

If you step back, this does not sound exciting, in any way.  Gluten-free and vegan.  A little packaged bar.  When do I ever like this sort of thing?  And, just in a plain, "original", flavor?  Please.  How good can some gluten-free rolled oats, sweetened with brown rice syrup and sugar, possibly be?  The only other ingredient in the entire bar is what seems like the components of Earth Balance (oil, water, annatto extract).

I realize, as I describe this, that it doesn't sound good.  I don't know how to convince you otherwise though.  These things are awesome.  Yes, even the plain flavor.  Oats, brown rice syrup, and Earth Balance ... nothing more.

Unlike most "bars", these are soft, even though made of oats.  Think of them like a dense ball of oatmeal.  Almost doughy inside ... but not really.  Sigh.  I can't do better than this at describing these.  You'll just have to try one.

Dense, perfectly sweetened, nice chew.  The "bite" will be gone before you know it.

Even the totally plain flavor is great on its own.  Just plain.  Room temperature.  No alterations.  For real.

One day, I was at home, and decided I'd try to get more creative, so I threw it in the toaster oven at low temperature for a few minutes to warm it up.  I pulled out honey butter and my mom's homemade jam to slather it with, as if it were a muffin or scone.  But first I took a bite warm.  I realized I didn't want anything else on it.  It really is just perfect as is, cold or warm.  I did like it warm, perhaps slightly more than at room temp, but warming it is really not necessary.

These are perfect for grab-n-go breakfast, or afternoon snack, but of course, I love desserts, and can also imagine crumbling one over some fruit to make a crisp.  Or just dunking it in whipped cream.  But ... again, not necessary.
Peanut Butter & Jelly.
"Bobo’s Bites Peanut Butter & Jelly Flavor packs the perfection of a PB&J into a perfect snack size Bite!"

Ok, now this one sounded GOOD!  Given that even the basic plain variety is amazing, I couldn't wait to try the PB & J flavor.  Again, made from the same base of gluten-free oats, sweetened with brown rice syrup and sugar, with the bonus ingredients of organic peanut butter and raspberry jam.  (Ok, slight strike against them, I prefer strawberry jam!).
Peanut Butter & Jelly: Inside.
I eagerly took my first bite.  Just like the others, I enjoyed the dense, oatmeal patty nature of it.  Slightly crumbly, slightly sweet.

The peanut flavor was subtle, but present, and I think there were little chunks of peanut inside.  The jam too was subtle, but provided a sweetness and slightly fruity quality.

But I'll be honest: I expected more.  Bigger bits of peanut, maybe some swirls of jam.  You can see the inside here, and, there isn't any visible peanut butter or jelly.  The flavors were there, subtle but there, but I really wanted to think "PB & J!", and, I didn't.

It was still good, still a bit better than the basic flavor, but not quite what I was hoping for.
Apple Pie.
"Bobo’s Bites Apple Pie Flavor tastes like home made apple pie in a perfect snack size bite."

As you can expect, this is made with the same base of gluten-free oats, sweetened with brown rice syrup and sugar.  To get the "apple pie" flavor, it also has dried apples and "natural apple pie flavor".  Yes, for real.  Where do I buy that?

Anyway, this sounded like dessert, in a bar, for breakfast.  Yes!

It was ... ok.  Basically, apple-y oatmeal.  Which, it turns out, just isn't really my thing.  It wasn't bad, and I still liked the oatmeal aspect, but, apple just isn't really for me.  The spicing was nice.  Turns out, the original is my favorite flavor.

Original Review, August 2015

You know I can't resist trying assorted bars, particularly when they are most soft, almost more like baked goods than granola bars.  And particularly not when they are delivered to my desk by a co-worker to try out.

I was pretty excited about the Bobo's Oat Bars once I saw them.  Cute packaging, but also, they pretty much looked like square muffins.  These are the types of bars I like most often, like the SuniBrite muesli bars from Australia that I recently reviewed, or the Nature Valley's Soft-Baked Oatmeal Squares.

Bobo's Bars look very small scale production, so I assumed they were locally made.  It turns out, they are made in Boulder, and available nationwide.  They are more mainstream than I realized, sold at REI and Whole Foods in San Francisco, and, I even saw them at the grocery store in my hometown in New Hampshire.

The bars all have the same simple base of rolled oats and Earth Balance, and are sweetened with brown rice syrup and sucanat.  All are wheat free, non-GOM, and vegan, although only the specifically gluten-free bars use gluten-free oats.

The regular flavors start with the basic "original", and then expand to include just one or two other ingredients: coconut, almond, chocolate, banana, strawberry, apricot, peanut butter, cinnamon raisin, and cranberry orange.  The gluten-free options are peach, maple pecan, lemon poppy, chocolate almond, apple pie, and peanut butter and jelly.

Honestly, the GF flavors sounded the best.  Maple pecan! Apple pie!  PB & J!  Um, yes?  My selection was given to me by coworker to sample, so I didn't pick the flavors, and I think she (rightly so) picked the appealing flavors for herself.

Now that I know how delicious even the less exciting flavors are though, and how easy they are to find around San Francisco, I may need to seek out some of the more tempting sounding flavors sometime, you know, when my never-ending supply of products to review somehow runs out.

The bars are heavy and dense, a whopping 3 oz, which means the serving size listed on them is actually 2 servings.  I kinda hate that, who really only eats half?  What am I supposed do with the other half? And really, FDA, why do you think that 1.5 oz is the appropriate serving size?  (Side note: Bobo's also has a newer product, Bobo's Bites, that are only 1.3 oz.)

Anyway.  The bars.

Regular flavors

Almond.
"Bobo’s Almond Flavor has pieces of roasted almond in every bite."

I started with the basic sounding almond bar.

Almond shows up as both dry roasted almonds and almond extract.  The almonds were tiny little bits distributed throughout; they didn't really add much crunch, but you could see them.  The almond extract however was quite powerful, it flavored the entire bar in a really pleasant way.

The bar reminded me of a solid chunk of oatmeal, which, I realize doesn't sound good, but, it was.  The oats were soft, not hard like a typical bar.  The sweetness level was perfect.  It was a treat, but definitely not too sweet.  It really was as comforting and satisfying as a bowl of oatmeal, but in a convenient form, perfect for a grab and go breakfast alongside my coffee.  I was pleasantly surprised by this, and would gladly add it into my regular breakfast bar lineup.

Gluten-Free

Peach (GF).
"Bobo’s Gluten Free Peach Flavor has pieces of delicious peach in every bite."

The peach bar I tried was gluten-free, so the regular oats were subbed out with gluten-free ones, but besides that, the ingredients were exactly the same, mostly just oats and Earth Balance.  Of course, it had bits of dried peach in place of the almond components.

I didn't notice any texture difference between the gluten-free and regular bar.  It again was basically just a dense chunk of oatmeal.  Which again, I realize doesn't sound good, but really was pleasing.

Grab-and-go oatmeal, who knew they made such a thing? The peach flavor was subtle and delicate, quite nice.  I'd get one of these again too, but I'd really like to try some of the other flavors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails