Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cupcakes from Cupcake Cove

You may recall that several years ago, I reviewed a tiny little bakery in the Financial District called Cupcake Cove ... for their cookies.  Yup, cupcake is in their name, and I only had their cookies.  I just don't seek out cupcakes often, as I'm rarely impressed (as you probably know from reading my cupcake reviews).

But recently, a co-worker brought in a box of assorted cupcakes from Cupcake Cove.  While I may not seek them out, I'll obviously try any that are brought to me!

Sadly, for a namesake item, they were not very remarkable.

Assorted Cupcakes.  $3 each, $30 / dozen.
The box contained an assortment, but I had to guess at flavors, referencing the Cupcake Cove website as I went.  I didn't get a photo until several had been snagged (including by myself, whoops), so there are a few missing, but I think our box contained one of every flavor offered that day.

The cupcakes weren't the most exciting flavors.  All had either vanilla or chocolate as the base cake (except for the carrot cake), and frosting varieties were vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut.  There were no interesting fillings nor toppings, no embellishments.

I started with a dark brown cake with light brown frosting, not pictured here, since, uh, I already took it.  I think this was the "Peanut Butter Frosting / Chocolate Cake" option.

The cake itself was moist, gummy, and not very interesting.  The frosting was rock solid, and had no real flavor to it.  I'm guessing it was the peanut butter, since it was lighter colored than what I'm guessing was chocolate, but it didn't taste like peanut butter in any meaningful way.

I moved on to the unique one, the "Cream Cheese Frosting / Carrot Cake".

It was much better, a decent carrot cake base, loaded with nuts and bits of carrots.  The cream cheese frosting was fluffy, generously applied, and had a nice cream cheese flavor, so that part was quite was good.  But, at the end of the day, it was just a standard cupcake.  
Cupcake Cove Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails