Friday, February 19, 2016

Grandma's Cookies

Ok, so you know I don't really care for cookies.  Particularly not packaged ones.  But everyone knows I love desserts, so, from time to time random baked goods show up on my doorstep.  Like Grandma's Cookies.  No, not MY grandma's cookies, but Grandma's cookies, produced by Frito-Lay.

The company description makes these seem, well, like something Grandma might make I guess: "GRANDMA’S® cookies offer a delicious variety of homemade memories. With flavors like chocolate, peanut butter and lemon pie, every GRANDMA’S treat is baked with love to transport you to your happy place with every bite."  Except, well, they are pre-packaged cookies, with a scary shelf life.

Grandma's has several different lines of cookies, including the "Frosted" collection, with pictures of great looking baked goods on front, like the Frosted Cinnamon Roll, Frosted Lemon Pie (featuring a meringue topped lemon pie), Frosted Blueberry and White Chocolate (with a great looking muffin), and red velvet (classic cupcake).  Of course, the cookies don't have meringue, cream cheese frosting, etc, but the photos sure look good.  They also make Sandwich Creme cookies, basic crispy plain cookies stuffed with assorted flavored creme filling, in peanut butter, strawberry, vanilla, or lemon.

The real quintessential cookies though are probably the "Homestyle" ones, available in the classics of chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and peanut butter, along with peanut butter chocolate chunk and chocolate brownie.  It is these that I tried.

If you are in the market for packaged cookies, you can find these anywhere, as in, even at Walmart or your neighborhood convenience store, generally sold as two-packs.

I'll be honest.  The cookies aren't ... bad.  The cookies are large, not like a Chips Ahoy or standard packaged cookies.  They do actually look like they could be homemade.

And, they really are quite soft.  Yes, they actually seem like they could have been made by grandma yesterday, not months ago in a factory.  Not that I want more of these, but, they were better than expected.
Chocolate Brownie Cookie.
"GRANDMA'S Chocolate Brownie Big Cookies are a delicious combination of great taste and good fun baked into one great snack."

I started with a chocolate brownie cookie.  I figured I'd get the one I was least like to like out of the way.

Well, huh.  The chocolate flavor wasn't particularly rich, although it was clearly a cocoa cookie, and had some little chocolate chips in it (although not nearly as generously distributed as in the wrapper picture).  I liked how soft it was, and how "real" it looked.

But, it did have a strangely plasticky flavor, and a bit of a stale aftertaste.  Ah yes, all those random ingredients thrown in there to preserve them, really do make a difference in taste, and, not a good one.

I even took a second bite of this, but in the end, the aftertaste did me in.  If the aftertaste wasn't there however, these really would be worth eating.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie.
"Perfect for satisfying your intense craving. Grandma's Oatmeal Raisin Big Cookies are a unique combination of great taste, great crunch and good fun rolled into one great snack. The only thing better than this big soft delicious cookie, is another!"

Next I moved on to the one I was slightly less skeptical of, but still not excited by: oatmeal raisin.

Like the Chocolate Brownie cookies, the oatmeal raisin were super soft, and again, they really did look homemade.  One of my cookies was so soft that it broke as I pulled it out of the bag, but, I don't consider this a bad thing.

The cookies had some oats, and plenty of raisins.  The raisins were soft, not hard little pellets.  The cookie was very sweet, not a slightly more healthy style that you sometimes get with oatmeal raisin.  It had a slightly complex sweetness though, from the molasses used for sweetener (well, in addition to high fructose corn syrup and regular white sugar of course).

These really weren't bad.  As I'm not really much of a cookie eater, they weren't super exciting to me just as cookies though.  I wanted to crumble them up on top of some warm fruit and serve with whipped cream, basically making them into a crisp topping.  Or I wanted to stuff them with cream cheese frosting, or at least ice them.  Or even make an ice cream sandwich out of them.  Don't get me wrong, they were fine plain, but, a plain cookie just isn't my thing.
Peanut Butter.
"A Classic Favorite. Both grandma's blend the finest ingredients with the creamiest peanut butter to make a tantalizing treat."

Ok, if the other cookies looked fairly homemade, this one really, really looked homemade.  It was even a little ... burnt.  Darker than you'd like.  It also had the little marks on top as if grandma had pressed her fork tines into the top.  Nice little homemade touch.

But the cookie ... wasn't very good.  It was soft, but not moist.  It didn't have great peanut flavor.  It just wasn't very good.   My least favorite of all the cookies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails