Friday, March 04, 2016

HoneyBar, Canada

As you know, when I travel and visit other offices, I love trying out their assorted snack foods.  On my trip to Canada this past summer, I tried the Jimmybars (which I really didn't like), and their versions of Nestle ice creams (which were awesome!).  And of course, I did go get some poutine at the aptly named Crazy Canuck.

I also tried the HoneyBars, snack bars made with, you guessed it, honey.

HoneyBars are a bit different from your traditional snack bar, as they take their inspiration from Greece, from sweets made with sesame seeds, honey, and sugar.  The very first honey bar was basically that, just sans the sugar (aka, sesame and honey).  Honey remains the strong focus of the product line now, and is the dominant flavor in every variety I tried.

Honey Bars are all natural, and actually don't contain any strange ingredients.  No whey protein isolate, no soy this or that.   All identifiable ingredients.  You could make them in your kitchen.

They are available in 8 flavors, ranging from Trail Mix (with raisins, sunflower seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts), Granola (with oats, peanuts, raisins, almonds, crispy rice), and Mixed Sesame, to fruity flavors like Apple & Cinnamon, Cranberry Delite, and Nutty Apricot, to the more exciting sounding Chocolatey Peanut Butter and Sweet & Salty.  I tried several.

I appreciate the real ingredients, and the use of honey, but, these didn't do it for me.
Chocolaty Peanut Butter.
"Peanut buttery cocoa that will make you go loco!"

The ingredients to the chocolate peanut butter bar are simply honey, peanuts, rolled oats, peanut butter, crisp brown rice, and chocolate liquor.

The first thing I tasted was ... honey, which isn't what I expected.  Where was my chocolate and peanut butter?  But then again, the product is called a "HoneyBar".  

Once I got past the honey strangeness, I tried to appreciate the bar.  Yes, there were whole peanuts, rice crispies, and oats.  But ... I still didn't taste any chocolate and barely any peanut butter, just the whole peanuts.

So, given that I wanted chocolate and peanut butter, this was a let down.  But, for a bar with real ingredients, it wasn't bad.
Sweet & Salty.
"The yin and yang of the snack bar gang!"

Like the chocolately peanut butter, the ingredient list here was simple: the same peanuts, honey, peanut butter, and crisp brown rice, plus almonds, almond butter, and salt.

I almost liked this.  It was mostly just sweet peanuts stuck together.  Hard to go wrong there.  It was actually a bit strange to me that they even bothered include almonds, as the bar had only 3 in the entire thing.

But .. again, just like the previous bar, it just wasn't very exciting.  Sweet peanuts stuck together, no more, no less.
Trail Mix.
"On the trail to a healthy lifestyle!"

Here we had peanuts, almonds, and honey again of course, plus raisins and sunflower and pumpkin seeds, aka, trail mix.

I again almost liked it, as I like most of the ingredients, but, the honey just doesn't do it for me.  I'm not sure why, as I like honey, just not in these bars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails