Friday, January 13, 2017

Go Pure Vegetable Chips

GoPure makes a variety of chips.  Their largest product line is "classic chips", standard thin sliced potato chips, available in fairly simple flavors, crinkle cut or not.  They also make some "natural crunch" chips, still just potato chips, only, organic and one variety of tortilla chips.

I didn't try any of those things.  Instead, while visiting one of my European offices (I think Paris, but, these aren't actually made in France, they are from the Netherlands), I tried the vegetable chips.  They didn't leave me wanting to try others.
Vegetable Chips.
"GoPure organic vegetable chips have everything: the perfect crunch, refined flavours and different textures. No wonder: each bag of GoPure vegetable chips contains a rich arsenal of carrots, beetroot, the 'forgotten' parsnip and sweet potato. It also goes without saying that these organic vegetables are all batch cooked in 100% organic sunflower oil. The only thing we add is a pinch of sea salt."

Go Pure makes three varieties of vegetable chips, "Sweet Potato" with tomato & rosemary seasoning, "Mixed Varieties" with chioggia beetroot, blue potato, & red potato, and their original vegetable chips, a mix of parsnip, carrot, beetroot, and sweet potato.  It was the later that I tried.
Sweet Potato, Parsnip, Beetroot.
My package said that it contained 64% vegetables in "variable proportions".  I laughed when I read it, until I realized that really gave them free reign to include as much or little of any variety as they wanted.  Which, they did.  My bag didn't seem to include any carrots.  Well, ok then.

The vegetables were all vibrant, the beetroot in particular.  The chips came in decent sized pieces, some curled up in the way I like (extra crispy!).  They certainly looked good.

But ... I didn't care for them.  They were too fried tasting, a bit too oily and greasy.  The salt level was nice, but, I really just couldn't taste any distinct vegetable flavors.  If you blindfolded me I would have not noticed that these were not all the same vegetable.  If you buy veggie chips, don't you generally want to taste the actual vegetables?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails