Friday, March 24, 2017

Ten Acre Popcorn, UK

Another Friday, another post about popcorn.  I know you are probably getting sick of all the popcorn reviews, but, the thing is, I love popcorn, and it is one of my favorite snacks.  I eat it near-daily.

Today's review is from a snack foods maker in the UK: Ten Acre.  Ten Acre makes "Hand Cooked Crisps" (chips, to Americans) in 10 varieties and "Hand Picked Popcorn" in 7.  They are all gluten-free, dairy free, MSG free, vegan, halal, kosher, etc.

The names of the popcorn are as unique as the flavors themselves, as they include the name of a fictional popcorn-related character, like, "Cousin Maisie’s Fennel and Lemon Popcorn".  Who is Cousin Maisie?  And, hmm, fennel and lemon on popcorn?  The full savory range includes a Wasabi flavor ("Ambrose Popperley"), Lime and Sea Salt ("Captain Theodore"), and Sour Cream and Chive ("Cornelius Popperley").  Sweeter options are Cappuccino ("Lucia Popperley") and Strawberry & Cream ("Cousin Penelope"), with a Sweet and Salty variety straddling the divide.

I only had the chance to try one variety while I was in London, but it wasn't noteworthy.
Aunty Winifred’s Sweet and Salty Popcorn.
"A perfect blend of sweet and salty. Tantalisingly tasty for those who like the best of both worlds in a packet of popcorn."

I opted for the kettle corn, nee, "Aunty Winifred’s Sweet and Salty Popcorn".  This variety has won an award, the "Great Taste Awards" (presumably a UK thing?)

It didn't really win any awards with me.  It was very plain, just a hint of sweet and salty.  Some pieces seemed entirely plain, but there were a few gems with a decent sugar coating.  Overall, a healthy snack I guess, but not a very satisfying one.

I froze it to see if that would improve it.  It did, resulting in crispier kernels at least, but still pretty boring. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails