Thursday, August 17, 2017

Petsi Pies, Boston

Petsi Pies is a bakery based in Somerville, MA, near Boston.  I have not visited myself, so I can't tell you much, except that they also have several cafes in nearby towns, and also serve sandwiches, soups, and other standard cafe fare.

I was introduced to Petsi Pies when visiting my Cambridge office, and a co-worker brought in a pie to an office party.
Pie Logo.
The sticker on the box with their logo caught my attention, when I came across the box sitting in the microkitchen.  It was bright, and unusual looking (I can't stop seeing a bird beak!), and then I realized there was pie within.  I had just finished lunch, with dessert, but, I couldn't resist.  I'm glad I didn't.  I was impressed.

Anyway, the company is named after the baker who started it, who has the nickname Petsi.  

The pie lineup comes in 3 sizes (5", 8", 10"), with a wide variety of fruit pies, cream pies, seasonal pies, and all the classics, along with savory pies.

I only tried the one, but I'd gladly try more.
Brown Butter Pecan Pie.
This was very good pie.

Pecan pie is a classic for me, as my mom has always made a (Karo syrup) based pecan pie that I adore.  I love pecan pie.

And this?  Better than my mom's pie, for sure.  It was sweet, but not cloyingly so, with more depth to it than just sweet.  I didn't necessarily taste brown butter, but I could tell there was more going on.  The goo layer was also more of a custard, or perhaps a caramel, than I am used to, richer, thicker, and again, more than just sweet.

The pecans were standard, pecan halves, on top of the sweet custard.

The crust was the only lackluster component.  It wasn't bad, but it didn't taste any better than a grocery store crust, not flaky, not buttery, not special.

But overall, a good pie, and I'd love to try more of their pies!

Petsi Pies Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails