Thursday, June 18, 2020

my/mo mochi - Mochi Ice Cream

I like desserts.  I like frozen desserts.  I like ice cream.  I like mochi.  I like mochi ice cream.  I was excited to try mochi ice cream from my/mo.
"Pinch it. Poke it. Squeeze it. Stack ‘em. Roll one to a friend. Sink your teeth in. Wipe the powder from your lips. Feel the sensation changing with every bite. It’s sweet and cool and gooey and great. It’s creamy meets chewy, silky meets soft, delightful meets delectable. It’s a riddle only a tongue can unravel. It’s luscious ice cream wrapped up inside deliciously squishy mochi dough. It’s My/Mo."
my/mo makes basically one product: mochi ice cream.  They offer a slew of flavors, including vegan options.  They are all gluten-free.

But ... I didn't like my/mo mochi ice cream.

To be fair, the ice cream was decent, but one essential element, the mochi, just, wasn't.
Boxes.
The mochi ice cream comes in boxes of 6.
Green Tea Mochi Tray.
Inside each box is a tray of mochi, not individually wrapped, so, once you open the box, you should eat them all or they'll dry out.

Update Reviews, 2019 & 2020

My reviews in 2018 were *not* positive, so it is a surprise perhaps that I tried these again.  I didn't seek them out this time, but when you encounter mochi ice cream in new flavors ... what choice do you have? :)

I'm glad I did, as these were significantly better.  Still, not the greatest mochi wrappers.
Assorted Mochi.
Dulce de Leche: "Creamed coffee ice cream with a caramel center, wrapped in a sweet rice dough."

This one was good!  Soft rice mochi wrapper, creamy coffee ice cream, nice coffee hit to it, adding just enough bitterness to offset the sweet, soft, nearly liquid, caramel core.  Dulce de leche so often winds up cloyingly sweet, and this did not.  Loved the touch of the caramel core.
Sweet Mango.
"Take an instant trip to tropical delicioustown with Sweet Mango My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream! The tangy and sweet taste of premium mango ice cream combined with mouthfuls of mochilicious dough gives your cravings their own craving. Sweet mango My/Mo – the perfect, handheld getaway." 

I know I tried this one, but alas, I lost my notes.  I know my co-workers *love* this one, and request it frequently from our catering team.
Double Chocolate.
"Say “My, Oh My!” in a new way with Double Chocolate My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream. Crafted premium ice cream with fudge brownie bits creates a rich, milky, melty texture. Wrapped in masterly mind-blowing mouthfuls of mochi for a bit of good measure creating even more chocolatey chocolate deliciousness."

This is one of my favorites.

The chocolate ice cream is the style I like (creamy, milk chocolate), and the fudge brownie bits really do enhance it.  Again, loving the inclusions.  Wrapper is still just eh, but not awful.
Green Tea.
"Green Tea ice cream wrapped in a sweet rice flour dough."

I've had this variety before, but it was so bad then, that I wanted to give it another try.

Definitely better this time, normal soft rice flour mochi exterior, but the green tea flavoring isn't my favorite.
Vanilla Blueberry.
"Vanilla ice cream with a blueberry center." 

This one may look just like the regular vanilla flavor, but, it promised a treat in the center: blueberry!

Like the Dulce de Leche and the Double Chocolate, this was a big step up, due to the inclusion of a center.  The vanilla ice cream was good too, vanilla bean it seemed, and the combo with blueberry was nice.
Island Coffee
"Coffee ice cream with a sweet rice flour dough."

I really liked the coffee flavor and creamy ice cream in this one, but again wasn't into the wrapper.  Still decently enjoyable.
Cool Peppermint (Seasonal).
"Mochi with Peppermint Flavored Ice Cream and Peppermint Bits."

"Deck the halls with balls of My/Mo Cool Peppermint Mochi Ice Cream! A spin on a classic holiday favorite — milky, melty peppermint flavored ice cream sprinkled with crunchy minty bits, all wrapped in chewy, pillowy mochi dough. It’s the wintery blast of peppermint coolness your mouth will crave this holiday season."

These were pretty good.

The ice cream inside seemed more vanilla than peppermint, but with the generous peppermint bits inside, it didn't matter.  They were minty and refreshing, with a perfectly creamy melting center.  The exterior was soft, doughy, and pretty pliable.

One of my favorites.

Original Reviews, July 2018


Green Tea Mochi.
"Green Tea My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream is an invitation to exotic. Velvety green tea ice cream inside wrapped in masterfully crafted mochi dough."

I started with the green tea mochi, as it is my top choice of flavor they make.

I took one bite and withdrew.  Uh, what?  The texture of the mochi wrapper was quite unlike any mochi I've had before, and, not in a good way.
Green Tea Mochi: Inside.
It was ... grainy.  Mealy.  Icy.  Awful.

The green tea ice cream inside was ok, good green tea flavor actually, but wow, that mochi was just horrible.

We all removed it, and just ate the ice cream center.  The green tea ice cream was enjoyable.
Ripe Strawberry.
"Made with real fruit, and bursting with sweet bits of strawberry love. Premium strawberry ice cream is wrapped in a pillowy layer of chewy mochi dough."

I don't like strawberry ice cream in general, but, thinking that perhaps the other box had just been ruined, I tried the strawberry when a friend offered.

It was exactly the same.  Super strange grainy wrapper.  Horrible.  The ice cream inside was nicely creamy, and fairly generic strawberry flavored, so not my thing.
Vanilla Bean.
"Vanilla Bean My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream is made using real vanilla beans, creating a new kind of yum in a snack. Classic, premium vanilla ice cream surrounded by melt-in-your-mouth mochi dough. My/Mo vanilla bean – it’s not for the vanilla at heart."

The first two varieties we tried came from a single trip to Whole Foods.  Still thinking that perhaps something had just gone wrong at Whole Foods in their freezers, or maybe in my own when we stored them at home, I tried another flavor, just simple vanilla, when a friend had it at their house.

And it was different this time.  The mochi was not all icy and grainy.  But instead it was just strangely soft and gummy.  Differently bad.  But still bad.

The vanilla bean ice cream inside was fine, with specs of vanilla bean, but just fairly generic vanilla ice cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails