Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Takumi Taco

Mexican and Japanese fusion is not new nor novel.  Sushi burritos are all around these days.  But what about a place that is actually both Japanese and Mexican, as in, not just Japanese ingredients treated in a Mexican way, but rather, has real Mexican food too.  That's a bit different.  And honestly, a bit confused.  
"Takumi Taco serves Japanese Inspired Mexican food. The concept was born from our love of two incredible cuisines with deep, rich, and unique food cultures. Takumi Taco started in April 2012 as a taco stand at Smorgasburg in Brooklyn. From there, we expanded to multiple food halls across New York City growing our menu along the way to serve the ever-changing needs of our customers. We pride ourselves on serving fresh, unique food in a fast casual setting."
Takumi Taco is such a place, offering up mostly Mexican tacos, burritos, bowls, and sides, but then also has a few fusion items in the mix.
Popup Menu.
At the restaurant, most of the tacos use traditional corn tortillas, with the exception of the Japanese inspired ones (spicy tuna or curry beef), and a vegetarian lentil one that use a far more fun sounding crispy gyoza shell instead.  For our event, we had just one with the gyoza (spicy tuna), so of course I had to get that.  We also had the choice of two others (chicken, vegetarian cauliflower) and two sides (Mexican corn salad or Japanese slaw).
Bento Box. $13.75.
Spicy Tuna / Cauliflower / Takumi Slaw.
I got a bento box, which comes with two tacos and one side.  It also came with tortilla chips.

Spicy Tuna:
"Sashimi Grade Big Eye Tuna, Jicama, Avocado, Cucumber, Spicy Mayo, Radish, Sesame Seeds, Crispy Gyoza Shell."

This is the item I was most excited for, with the gyoza shell and basically tuna poke filling (although, yes, it had avocado, and yes, I am allergic).  I had hoped to ask for the avocado to be left off, but it was pre-mixed.  My allergy is such that if I don't eat it, but it has touched things I eat, I'll feel it, my lips and throat will swell a little, but it is generally fine, so, I still risked it (unlike my melon allergy which is far more severe).

I loved this and I'm glad I still got it even with the avocado.

The gyoza shell worked so well.  It was super crisp, and seemed pretty fresh, just a big giant wonton.  The filling was full of diced tuna, cucumbers, jicama, and avocado, all cut to about the same size, which made for easy bites.  The jicama added remarkable crunch, and it, along with the cucumber, were nicely juicy.  The spicy mayo was creamy and slightly spicy, and very generously applied.  Speaking of generous, it was stuffed really quite full.

This to me was better than a poke bowl or spicy tuna roll, as it allowed the fillings to shine in a better way, and, did I mention, I loved that shell?  It was fun to eat, it was tasty, and I'd get more of these in a heartbeat.  4/5.

Cauliflower Taco:
"Roasted Cauliflower, Sauteed Onions, Pineapple Pico De Gallo, Corn Tortilla."

Since a bento box contains two tacos, and I wanted to hedge my bets but hate chicken, I got the cauliflower taco as well.  It was al pastor style cauliflower, in a warm corn tortilla, topped with the pineapple pico de gallo to order.

I could care less about the (double) corn tortilla, but the cauliflower bits were flavorful from the al pastor sauce, and the pico de gallo was pretty vibrant and the pineapple a nice touch.  I don't get excited about Mexican flavors, and I'd prefer bigger hunks of cauliflower, but this was fine.  3/5.

Takumi Slaw:
"Napa/Red Cabbage, Carrot, Kale, Radish, Sesame Seeds, Sesame Dressing."

I adore slaw, I adore Japanese style things, so this was a great match for me, a slaw with a bit of Japanese inspiration in the dressing.  I liked that the dressing was added to order, rather than pre-mixed, as it meant the cabbage was crisp.  But otherwise this was a bit boring, I liked everything in it, but the dressing was a bit goopy, and there just wasn't much crunch.  Fine, but boring.  3/5.

Tortilla Chips:
I'm not one for tortilla chips, and would have asked to have these left off if I had known they'd be included, but I have to admit, they were good chips.  Crisp, fresh, thin, really well seasoned.  Definitely seemed homemade.  Far better than average.  4/5.
Bento Box.
2x Spicy Tuna / Slaw / Chips.
I liked Takumi so much I went back a few days later, but opted for two of the spicy tuna. 

The chips seemed less seasoned this time, more like just generic tortilla chips, and I again wished I'd left them off, but otherwise, this was much the same.  My feelings on the slaw were also unchanged.

No comments:

Post a Comment