Thursday, September 10, 2026

Aux Merveilleux de Fred

I thought I knew basically all types of desserts, and then I was in NY and realized I'd never encountered merveilleux before (I still haven't actually, but I learned about them when reading about a bakery I did have other items from: Aux Merveilleux de Fred).  "Fred", in this case, refers to the baker, Frédéric Vaucamps.  And, merveilleux, a specific kind of French dessert made with meringue, cream, and crumble coatings.  While I don't get excited about meringue (French style hard meringue that is), these still seem interesting, and I'd love to try sometime.
Fancy Box.
"Our cakes and pastries are traditionally made in each of our stores before your own eyes. You will love watching our teams in action as they make our Merveilleux cakes, cramiques and waffles. Our specialties are available in different flavors and sizes to suit all occasions and fancies, from our chocolate cramique as an afternoon snack, to our Merveilleux cakes for an unforgettable birthday celebration. Come and discover our know-how and taste our unmissable desserts!"

I did not have the merveilleux, instead I had some pastries and their other signature item, cramique, at a breakfast event at my office. 

Cramique

"A cramique is a Belgian brioche loaf found in Northern France.  Frédéric Vaucamps has reworked the traditional brioche with raisins. He has combined tradition and modernity with his new cramique recipes that include pearl sugar and chocolate chips. Our doughs are all made using traditional methods. From kneading, to shaping, to baking; watch as they come out of the ovens one after the other: hot cramiques baked all day long from breakfast time until late afternoon!"
These are available in plain, raisin, sugar, raisin & sugar, and chocolate varieties.  All but the raisin are round.  All are $4.95, which felt a bit high for just a simple brioche.  I tried a few to compare.
Plain Cramique.
"Plain brioche."

I started with the plain cramique.  It was ... well, a fairly plain, slightly sweet, fluffy bun.  No more, no less.  Not what I wanted to eat just as is, but I could imagine slathering it with something and enjoying it.  3/5 as there was nothing wrong with it, but it certainly wasn't interesting.
Raisin Cramique.
"Brioche with raisins."

Next I cut off a hunk of the raisin one, just to try it.  For some reason, the raison one only is a oblong shape rather than round roll.  But otherwise the same as all the others, studded with raisins.  Eh, raisins.  Not my thing, and it didn't have any additional spicing like a hot cross bun or other yeasted roll with raisins, so it still was  rather plain and simple for my tastes.  2.5/5.
Sugar Cramique.
"Brioche with sugar pearls."

The pearl sugar studded one was considerably more interesting, and I liked the sweetness, but it still was just a plain brioche, not something I can imagine wanting to just eat.  3/5.

[ Not Pictured ]
Chocolate Cramique
"Brioche with chocolate chips."

The one I picked to have a full size of was the chocolate one, which I somehow failed to get a photo of. It was studded with tiny chocolate chips.  I still found it a bit boring, better when I warmed it up so the chocolate got melty, but again not something I'd seek out.  The best of the bunch.  3/5.

Pastries

Aux Merveilleux de Fred doesn't make many other items, but I think they include croissants (and pain au chocolat) as kinda necessary elements of being a French bakery.
Croissant.
"Crispy pastry made from leavened puff pastry with butter. Our pure butter croissants are made in accordance with a traditional recipe and technique: mixing the pastry, incorporating the butter, shaping the croissant... We insist on the delicious, indulgent, authentic French taste of our croissants."

I had really mixed feelings on the croissant.  It ... wasn't flaky at all.  A good French croissant should be messy, it should shatter when you cut/bite into it, right?  And this did not at all.  But the buttery flavor was fantastic.  I think it would be good perhaps as a croissant sandwich bread, filled with meat/cheese, but really let me down as a standalone croissant, and I was surprised it was such a bready style.  3/5, carried only by the robust buttery flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment