Friday, October 02, 2026

Princeton Popcorn

Oh popcorn. It is my ultimate snack food, my complete weakness.  No matter the bag size, popcorn is a serving size = 1 in my world.  I'm an avid snacker and popcorn really does make up a rather ridiculous portion of my weekly diet.  I just love it so much (but strangely, I really don't care for microwave popcorn, or even movie theater popcorn.  I like bagged popcorn, artisanal popcorn from specialty shops, kettle corn from farmer's markets, but not the others.  I can't explain it).

Anyway, I always seek out new brands to try, which lead me Princeton Popcorn.  It is a small family run business, located in Kansas.  They specialize in mushroom popcorn, the kind that pops into bigger kernels with no shattered edges, but rather, big puffy kernels.  Most of their products are quite wholesome, including several styles of popcorn kernels for popping on the stovetop (no microwave popcorn), wheat berries, and whole grains such as wheat, oats, millet, flax, rye, etc.  It is,well, a farm after all. But they do make one single ready-to-eat snack food, dubbed PuffyCrunch, and that one is all I needed.  It was glorious.
Peanut Butter Caramel Popcorn.
"Farmer Bob's mushroom popcorn coated in caramel, then rolled in peanut butter from whole peanuts."

This was glorious.  Now, I am a popcorn-o-holic, and big huge mushroom popcorn is going to win me over in most cases anyway.  And I do love peanut butter, and had been going through a peanut butter craving phase (literally, earlier that day I had chocolate peanut butter spread on crackers as a snack, and a pb cup alongside my coffee in the morning, the day before I had Trader Joe's PB&J snack duos as my evening snack, and a Reese's Fast Break earlier in the day, etc).  So I kinda knew I'd like it, but it still was better than I imagined it would be.

The kernels were so big and puffy.  Perfect crunch. The name "PuffyCrunch" really is apt.  Fantastic base of popcorn. Then, the light caramel coating, just enough to make them slightly sweet, nothing like cloying sweet caramel corn you may anticipate.  And the peanut butter coating?  So deeply nutty.  The fact that these are made with very few ingredients really does come across as you taste the pure peanuts and no other junk mixed in.  

There is nothing I'd change about this product, other than the fact that oops, it is supposed to be 6 servings, and I ate it all in a day (900 calories for a little snack, oops).  5/5.  More please.

No comments:

Post a Comment