Thursday, September 17, 2026

Seven Grams Caffe

Cookies and ... coffee.  Not quite the normal fill-in-the-blank choice of childhood milk & cookies, but, at least in New York it is a duo with some legit competition.  I don't mean a coffee shop that has some token cookies and mediocre baked goods on hand.  I mean businesses that focus on exactly those two things: coffee and cookies.  Such as Seven Grams, coffee roaster and caffe.
"That’s who we are, and that’s what we do: We roast great coffee, we bake sensational cookies (and cakes, and brownies, but, come on – the cookies), and we take immense pride in being a small, independent business. No investors, no suits, no big corporates. Just a dream, hard work, and a deep passion for what we do."
They have only 3 locations, all in Manhattan.  The name comes from the number of grams of espresso needed for the perfect shot.  I haven't had their coffee, but I did finally get to try one of their cookies, which frequent a slot in various "best chocolate chip cookie in NY" lists.  I rarely see them take the top honor, and they might not be as well known as some of the other common names (e.g. Levain, Culture Espresso - which, yes, is another cookies & coffee only place), but their name comes up enough that I took notice, even as someone who doesn't get particularly excited about cookies.
"Ooey-gooey, hand-crafted, and baked fresh to order. Expect a crunchy exterior, melt-in-your-mouth interior, and the best vegan cookies you've ever tasted. Crowned one of NYC's 5 Best Chocolate Chip Cookies."
They always offer a chocolate chip cookie for everyone: a classic chocolate chip cookie, a gluten-free and vegan dark chocolate chip cookie, and a vegan tahini & olive oil dark chocolate chip cookie. They have seasonal specials like pumpkin spice and apple cider in the fall, plus peanut butter dark chocolate chip and matcha white chocolate chip.  The bakery makes a few breads and scones too.
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie.  $6.50.
"Our irresistible signature recipe of ooey-gooey, luscious, ultra-chocolatey cookies, packed-full of premium dark chocolate chips. Hand-crafted using only the finest ingredients and baked fresh to order, these decadent mega cookies have a crunchy exterior, a melt-in-your-mouth interior, and are packed-full of premium dark chocolate chips."

I had the simple classic.

I loved this cookie.

It was a soft cookie, not underbaked style, but trending that way.  It was thick.  It had plenty of chocolate hunks in it, but not so many it detracted from the taste of the base cookie.  I loved the base cookie flavor, butter, sugar, yes.  A cookie for cookie dough lovers. They say it is dark chocolate, but it was a lighter dark chocolate, a creamier, milkier style that I really liked.  

No edits on this one.  I really, really liked it.  My top chocolate chip cookie in NY so far ... 4.5/5.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails