I realized I don't know anything about Domino's Pizza at all, as I've probably only had it once or twice in my life, perhaps at an event in grad school or something. I know it exists, and has generic pizza, but that's about it. Just not something I've ever ordered, or lived in a city with (not growing up, not in college, not near me in SF for the 21 years of my adult life ...). But I moved to NYC during the summer of the $10 Paze promotion (spend $10, get $10 credit back if you pay with Paze), and Dominos was one of the launch partners. I can't resist a freebie.
But I was in NY, surrounded by amazing pizza, I was most certainly not getting pizza at Dominos. Did you know Domino's has pastas? (and sandwiches, and many other things, it turns out). I didn't, but the pasta is what jumped out most to me on the menu once I started browsing. They have three pastas: 5-Cheese Mac and Cheese, Spicy Buffalo 5-Cheese Mac & Cheese, or Chicken Alfredo. All use the same penne pasta, and all use alfredo sauce as well, the mac and cheese just loads on more cheeses (white American, cheddar, Parmesan, Asiago).
![]() |
| Chicken Alfredo Pasta. $8.49. (-chicken). |
"Try our savory Chicken Alfredo Pasta. Grilled chicken breast and creamy Alfredo sauce is mixed with penne pasta and baked to creamy perfection."
I was drawn to the mac and cheese, but was actually craving alfredo, so, chicken alfredo it was. I got it without the chicken, which is easy to do from their online ordering page (side note: why don't they just have a regular alfredo option? And then make it possible to add chicken, or bacon, or any pizza topping you want?). I arrived at the specified time, but it wasn't ready yet, so I was able to see it being baked to order in the pizza oven. It was handed over insanely hot and fresh, inside a small pizza box, which turned out to be quite useful as the foil bowl was extremely hot, as it was baked in it. I can't say it won any awards for how it looked, a bit meager in the pasta department, and drowning in very cheesy sauce. I did appreciate the slightly crispy top.
I was fairly confused by this though, as it seemed really cheesy, in a way you don't expect in alfredo, and in a way that didn't seem like it could be from just parmesan and asiago. The pool of melted cheese on top really screamed out mozzarella, but, they say it only has the hard cheeses. I believe this is the same alfredo sauce they use on the pizza.
It ... was pretty underwhelming, fairly thick and gloopy, and didn't have much flavor to it (it has a bit of garlic, but barely noticeable), and it desperately needed salt and pepper ... and red pepper flakes ... and, well, anything. The flavor was bland and flat. I realize I'm talking about alfredo sauce from a generic pizza franchise, but even jarred alfredo from a grocery store is better than this.
The pasta too was underwhelming, as generic as can be, just, basic penne. It wasn't too mushy, but it certainly wasn't al dente. While it had a tiny bit of color on top, it wasn't really crispy.
Overall, um, meh. I could imagine this being better with other pizza toppings added in, and a drizzle of their buffalo sauce, but, at the end of the day, it is low end penne and alfredo sauce, mixed together and put in an oven for a few minutes. 2/5.

0 comments:
Post a Comment