I knew the hype. The viral mango sticky rice. Michelin-recommend. Yadda yadda. I honestly didn't pay much attention to it, despite the fact that I work right next to Chelsea Market, and despite the fact that I do quite like mango sticky rice. I've mostly just been over mango in the United States since living in Sydney for a while and having it locally grown. It is just so dramatically better there than anything we have here (and I'm sure Thailand and others are great too). But when my mom recently visited me in New York, and we did the tourist thing of wandering through Chelsea Market, I had to at least get *something* out of enduring that right? Viral mango sticky rice it was.
Ayada Thai actually has a full sit down restaurant, that I've never heard anyone talk about. I don't think it is noteworthy in any way, besides their sticky rice. The sticky rice got so popular that they opened a second business a few doors down, a much smaller space, that is literally just for the mango sticky rice. There are a few seats but it is basically a very efficient take out spot. Since they sell one thing only, the line moves fast (and yes, there was a line). All you do is say how many you want, and it is handed over instantly, as the containers are all ready to go. They have multiple staff members off to the side doing nothing but cutting mango, and someone else packaging it up with the rice and sauce, so even though not made to order, it really did seem likely made within the last 20 minutes at most. The level of streamlining they have done is impressive.
![]() |
| Mango Sticky Rice. $12. |
But once I got home and warmed up that sticky rice and plated it up ... well, damn. It is the best I've had in the US. The sticky rice itself was actually perhaps the best I've had anywhere, which is shocking for takeout that I heated up at home a bit later. The level of sticky, the sweetness in it, all was just perfect. I have no memory of having a better version.
The mango didn't look particularly ripe or like it would be better than average, but, it was. Perfectly ripe actually, flavorful, pleasant sweetness. I've had much, much better mango in other countries, but I don't think I've had better here. The coconut cream was standard.
Put it all together, and no question, the best I've had in the US. Yes, I'd get it again. Yes, this is dangerous knowledge as I work across the street. 4.5/5.

0 comments:
Post a Comment