I spent a significant amount of time in Sydney over the years, and whenever I was there, I ate southeast Asian food basically the entire time (with a bit of "Australian" thrown in from time to time, but mostly, southeast Asian). It was just sooo good there, considerably better than anything I had in San Francisco. I had kinda stopped eating that food in the US for the most part, as I was always let down. But since moving to New York, I've started warming to the idea of finding good Thai (and Singaporean and Malaysian, hopefully) food, particularly after loving some dishes from Thai Diner and Fish Cheeks.
I still didn't actually seek out Zaab Zaab, a local Thai restaurant, with two locations, one in Brooklyn, one in Queens. They actually came to my office to do a catered meal, which is obviously a different experience than visiting their real restaurant.
![]() |
| Menu. |
"All Khao Soi's are served with your choice of protein, egg noodles, broccoli, chopped garlic shallots, lime, and optional dried chili, topped fried noodles."
Our menu was one main dish: khao soi, which delighted me, as it has been my recent favorite Thai dish anywhere. I liked the visual display with the real product, which probably was helpful to those less familiar. For proteins, the options were fried chicken, regular or spicy pork belly, or fried tofu. Interestingly, at the restaurant, they have only one version, with beef shank (which we didn't have).
![]() |
| Assembly Line. |
![]() |
| Khao Soi, Tofu. |
I liked this. The noodles in the base were well cooked, not too mushy. The curry was creamy and flavorful, relatively complex and balanced. My scoop of chili definitely put the spice level in a nice place. The toppings were all standard and good, the broccoli nicely crisp. Of course I adored the crispy noodles on top. The fried tofu had a really fresh flavor, strong soy, and I liked the fried aspect.
This was all good, average for a real Thai restaurant. I liked it, it was comforting, and it seemed relatively authentic, but I wouldn't call it a destination dish. Just, good. 3.5/5.



0 comments:
Post a Comment