Friday, January 24, 2014

Peanut Butter & Co

Have I ever reviewed peanut butter before? No.  But I love the stuff.

I like peanut butter flavored everything, but even just a jar of peanut butter makes me pretty happy. There is so much you can do with it!  I love to dunk banana or plantain chips in it.  Or slather a fresh banana with it.  Or put it in a classic PB&J sandwich with my mom's homemade strawberry jam, or even better, in a grilled peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich.  Or warm it up and drizzle over ice cream.  Or slather it on popcorn cakes with some honey.  The possibilities are endless!  Give me a tub of peanut butter, and I'll find a way to use it in crazy combinations with just about anything in my pantry.  Oh, have I mentioned warming up marshmallows and peanut butter and stirring them together? Delicious, and one of my favorite creations!

I usually just grind my own fresh peanut butter (or almond butter) at Whole Foods.  That way, I can get a small quantity, which keeps my crazy peanut butter consumption in check.  But I'd been hearing a lot about the peanut butters from Peanut Butter & Co, so I finally got a jar.

Peanut Butter & Co. started as a shop in New York.  They have a menu that centers around, you guessed it, peanut butter.  A huge section of the menu is devoted to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, in just about every variety you can imagine.  They start with classic pb&j, add on some Fluff or Nutella, but then move into "gourmet" sandwiches like a Thai satay inspired one with chicken and pineapple jam.  If you are looking for other childhood favorites, you can stray away from the PB and go for bologna and cheese or a tuna melt.  Or you can go straight for dessert, where peanut butter is always a star: peanut butter cookies, peanut butter brownies, peanut butter pie, or a slew of sundaes.

Anyway, I've never been to their shop, but they offer a bunch of peanut butter flavors in retail stores across the country.  They make it regular (creamy or crunchy of course), but also a bunch of interesting varieties: chocolatey, spicy, cinnamon raisin, or sweetened with things like honey or maple.

Spoiler: this is the best peanut butter I've ever had.  I'm shameless, and eat it by the spoonful.
White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter.
This is the flavor that I kept reading about.  Everyone raved about it.  I've never thought of combining white chocolate and peanut butter before, but I love the peanut butter and Fluff combo, so I thought it might be similar.

The peanut butter is creamy, with a tiny bit of grittiness.  It is sweet, but in an interesting way.  The most compelling component is the vanilla that comes through on the finish.

I love this peanut butter on just about everything.  I like dunking banana chips in it.  Or salty snacks, like the sea salt flavored Popcorners (I know this sounds weird, but I really like it).  One of my ultimates is making like sandwiches out of yogurt covered pretzels with this peanut butter in-between.  That is my ultimate late night indulgence!  It is also incredibly delicious just by the spoonful, out of the jar, no shame.  The only application I haven't loved it in is classic PB & J, since my mom's homemade jam is already so sweet it feels like overkill.

Anyway.  Best peanut butter ever.  Get it.  Now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails