Monday, July 30, 2012

Desserts at Jasper's Corner Tap & Kitchen

After a disappointing meal at Lers Ros Thai, we wanted a good finish: dessert!  Just a few blocks away was a place that has been on my list for quite a while: Jasper's Corner Tap & Kitchen.

I first became familiar with Jasper's when I attended a cooking demo by the chef back in September at the Ferry Building.  He demoed pickled vegetables and shrimp remoulade on toasted buttered bread (recipe).  It was delicious, and when I later looked up the restaurant online, I basically wanted everything.  Amazing sounding comfort/pub food.

But somehow I never went.  And then in March, chef Carpenter did another cooking demo, this time of delicious, fresh, seasonal asparagus soup (recipe).  I was blown away by the flavor and voewed to check out the restaurant.  But again, I didn't.

And then a few weeks later, I attended Taste of the Nation, and had the opportunity to try their seasonal sweet pea deviled egg.  It was definitely the best deviled egg of the event, and I re-looked up the menu, and saw they always offer a fun trio of deviled eggs.  I really wanted to go.

And yet, I still somehow never went.  I blame the foie gras, it didn't leave time for much else.

So finally, we made it, albeit only for desserts.  Every dessert on the menu sounded fantastic, and it was hard to settle on only two.  Luckily, the waitress helped us out, and the desserts were indeed as good (ok, better!), than they sounded!
Since we only went for dessert, we just sat out in the large bar and lounge area.  It was spacious, beautifully decorated, comfortable, and not too crowded.  The service was friendly and attentive.  Really a great place to go for drinks and surprisingly great desserts, and I can't wait to check out the regular food too!  I will most certainly be going back for a real meal.  In particular, I really want to try the burgers and fish & chips, as I've heard great things about all of them.

Black and Tan: brownie, milk chocolate fudge, sweet cream, peanut butter mousse, caramel.  $8.
Wow.  I don't normally have caffeine at night, so I intended to only have a bite of this.  It wasn't possible to stop at one bite.  This was really, really good!

The cake consisted of several layers, each spectacular on their own, and even more amazing when combined (yes, I know, how can you really go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter?).  The bottom  was a moist chocolate brownie, topped with a creamy chocolate fudge layer, then a fluffy, intensely peanut butter flavored mousse, and finally, topped with an incredibly chocolatey dark chocolate ganache.  ZOMG.

To complete the deal, there was some caramel sauce, peanut crumble, and better than average whipped cream.  More components that were all fantastic, and went well with everything else on the plate.

One of the best restaurant desserts I've had, and for $8 it was a generous portion. Would order again.  Main tasting notes just read: "yum, yum, yum, seriously good!".
Butterscotch pudding, cocoa nibs, sea salt, warm chocolate chip cookies.  $8.
I've been on a bit of a butterscotch pudding kick lately, as it keeps showing up everywhere.  I'm not really sure why, as it seems like more of a winter treat, but I love puddings, so I'll take it :)  This was one of the best I've had (although, nothing beats the one made by my grandmother!).

Served in a cute little jar, the pudding itself was thick, creamy, a good consistency, and had great butterscotch flavor.  It was topped with the same good whipped cream as came with the chocolate peanut butter dessert.  The flavor was greatly enhanced by the generous sprinkling of sea salt.  Cocoa nibs added some additional crunch.

And ... it came with warm chocolate chip cookies! The cookies were loaded up with chocolate, were soft, and the restaurant gets serious props for serving them warm.  I'm not really sure why they came with the pudding, but they were decent.

Again, another fantastic, generous dessert for $8.  And one I'd order again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails