Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Green Coconut Waffle from Little Saigon Deli

One of my co-workers had his $3 worth of bonus GoPago credits expiring, and knowing how much fun I've been having using LevelUp and GoPago, he offered it to me.  Since I didn't want to steal his phone for too long, I choose a place just a block from the office: Little Saigon Deli.

I've walked by the tiny shop a zillion times, and when I browsed through menus and reviews of nearby businesses on GoPago, it stood out due to the very enthusiastic reviews of one item, the Green Coconut Waffle.  And, at only $2, it wouldn't exceed the free credits!

It was a bit of a GoPago fail.  On Monday, it was listed as open, which surprised me as the entire neighborhood was shut down for Labor Day.  I smartly walked there first before ordering, and of course, it was closed.  Ok, somewhat understandable, although many places were listed as closed in the app, even though they are normally open on Mondays.

So on Tuesday, I placed my order as I headed out the door, eager to receive my waffle fresh out of the waffle iron without a wait ... the GoPago way!  I arrived and ... they were closed.  But the credits had been deducted from his account.  I could hear the GoPago chimes going off inside the store.  I was very grumpy, as I was really wanting a snack, and I didn't have time to make an alternate plan, since I needed to be back in the office for a meeting.  Also, the credits were taken out of his account, since GoPago thought the order had been placed.  I looked through the UI for a way to take back the order, or to report the place closed, or something, but I couldn't find anything.  I quickly searched the help pages, and couldn't find any solution.  So I grumpily walked back to the office, went to my meeting, and munched on nuts.

A little while later, his phone got a notification that GoPago figured out that they didn't actually deliver my order, since it was never confirmed on their end, and the credits were restored.  Thank goodness!  I'm glad they had that check in place, but it took a while, and I would have liked a way to report the problem myself.

You'd think I'd give up at this point, but ... I'm a determined girl.  So on Wednesday, when the credits were supposed to expire, I begged him to borrow his phone one more time.  This time, I called first, to verify that they were open.  And then, and only then, I placed my order.  Success, finally.

Of course, I had a slight issue picking up the order, as it wasn't my account.  I did have his phone with me, but it had his picture, and uh, I clearly wasn't him.  I explained to the worker that it was my co-worker and she didn't have too much of an issue with it, but she might have thought I had just stolen someone's phone.  Perhaps this whole ordeal was just bad karma for sorta breaking the rules?

Anyway, I hope GoPago has a way of marking businesses where this sort of thing happens, so others can avoid issues like this, as it very much defeats the purpose if it COSTS you time to use GoPago!  (They aren't alone with this sort of problem, I've had issues with places being listed in LevelUp that no longer accept LevelUp.  Users being able to mark businesses negatively is a necessity, particularly in a way that wouldn't require reading through tons of reviews.)
Green Coconut Waffle.  $2.
The waffles are cooked fresh to order.  The aroma of the cooking waffle when I approached was downright amazing.  I enjoyed my several minute wait, just inhaling the delicious smells.

From the Yelp reviews I'd read, I knew to request it "extra crispy", which I was able to easily do using GoPago.  I'm not certain my request was seen though, because I would not have called it crispy.  My favorite thing about waffles is the crisp exterior and moist fluffy interior, and this had neither.  The outside wasn't crispy, and the inside was gummy.

The flavor was fairly interesting, although I didn't really taste the coconut.  The pandan flavor was strong though.

It was served folded over, in a little paper bag, making it appear smaller than it was.  This was a full waffle.

Anyway, the textures were just all off for me, and I wouldn't get again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails