Thursday, September 12, 2013

Brad's Raw Foods

I've been really into assorted snack foods lately, particularly salty things like chips.  In an attempt to be healthier, I decided to try out a new brand of kale chips.  I really liked kale chips in the past, particularly a few years ago when I used to make them myself and season them with all sorts of things, but I don't recall what brand I used to get when I did get store bought ones.  I tried Brad's Raw Foods because the flavors sounded good.  The kale chips themselves impressed me every time, but I didn't like the flavors of them.  I haven't found any that I'd purchase again.
Natural Nacho Kale Chips.
  • Natural Nacho: "Coated with sunflower seeds, red bell pepper, agave nectar, chickpea miso, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion, Bragg Aminos, and Himalayan sea salt". I wanted to like these.  The kale chips themselves were nicely done, big chunks.  They were well coated in seasoning.  But I did not like the nacho cheese flavor at all.  Personal preference perhaps?
  • Nasty Hot Kale Chips: "Smothered with red bell pepper, cashews, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, jalapeno pepper, chickpea miso, Himalayan sea salt, and cayenne pepper". These were better than the nacho ones, but I still didn't like them.  Again, the kale was nice and crispy, in big chunks.  The coating was spot on.  But I just really didn't like the flavor, they had a strange bitterness to them.  I liked the spicy though.  I tried these several times, to make sure my first failure wasn't just due to the mood I was in, but I never liked them.  The crunch was good, the chunks were good, but they just didn't come together for me.  Another friend said they tasted too much like grass.
  • Vampire Killer: "Coated with red bell pepper, cashews, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, scallions, chickpea miso, garlic, and Himalayan sea salt".  These I actually liked.  The kale chips were again nice big chunks, and the seasoning on these was enjoyable.  Although, they did leave me with some serious garlic breath.
Related Posts with Thumbnails