Friday, May 03, 2013

Quaker Granola Bars

If you read my blog on Fridays, you know that I've been on an epic quest to find some granola.  I've kinda failed, concluding that the granola from Target is my favorite so far, even when compared to all sorts of expensive, artisan granolas, but its not like I'm running out to get more of the Target stuff.

So now, I turn my attention towards granola in a slightly different form: granola bars.  Like with granola, the variance is high.  What percentage is oats? Is it chewy or crispy?  Loaded with fruit and nuts?  Loaded with sugar? Weird protein powders?  They can be 100 calorie light snacks or 500 calorie sugar bombs.  The choice is yours.

I've reviewed a few granola bars in the past, but I'm going to dive in for the next few weeks, doing a different brand every Friday. To start this series, I'll begin with a classic: Quaker.  Yes, the oatmeal people.

Their bars claim to be decent healthy choices, made with whole grains and no high fructose corn syrup.  About 100 calories each.  I haven't liked any, and think they taste incredibly sweet, fake, and generic.  My tasting notes are not very extensive, as I just haven't really wanted anything to do with these. Meh.
  • Low Fat Oatmeal Raisin Chewy: Sweet, meh.  Not tasty.
  • Maple and Brown Sugar Chewy: Standard granola bar, ok maple flavor [ Pretty good when crumbled up on top of fruit and whipped cream, but very sweet, too sweet to just eat as a bar. ]
  • Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Chewy: Made with a base of oats and crispy rice, with little tiny chocolate and peanut butter chips.  This was a pretty standard chewy granola bar, very sweet, and not anything special.  I love peanut butter and chocolate together, but neither was very strong in this product, both sets of chips seemed to be more waxy than flavorful.  I don't think there was actually any peanuts in here. [ Very sweet, kinda gooey. ]
Related Posts with Thumbnails