Monday, August 14, 2023

More Beverages from Starbucks

Update Reviews, 2022 - 2023

I don't really need to introduce you to Starbucks, right? You've, uh, likely encountered one before.
Dragon Drink.  Venti.
"This tropical-inspired pick-me-up—crafted with a refreshing combination of sweet mango and dragonfruit flavors—is handshaken with creamy coconutmilk, ice and a scoop of real diced dragonfruit."

I see people with the Starbucks pink (or purple) drinks all the time. At some point, I decided they must not *just* be Instagram worthy, but rather, actually something worth trying.

I went for the Dragon version, made wtih mango and dragonfruit.

My first impression?  THIS WAS SO SWEET! Yes, it had 22 grams of sugar in it. No wonder.

The coconut milk was somewhat refreshing yet creamy, and a nice choice for it.  I didn't taste mango, but it was fruity in a  non-specific way, perhaps that was the dominant dragonfruit?  I appreciated the dragonfruit inclusion as well, although it mostly just floated on top.  Some sips got a few hunks though, and they added a nice texture.

I was expecting something more refreshing overall though, and the sweetness just made this hard to do more than sip. I also think it would be better as a smoothie, blended with ice.  

I didn't realize when I ordered, but this is a caffeinated beverage - it has green coffee extract in it.

Fun to try, I won't get again though. ***.
Blonde Roast. Venti. $2.95 or 50 stars.
"Lightly roasted coffee that's soft, mellow and flavorful. Easy-drinking on its own and delicious with milk, sugar or flavored with vanilla, caramel or hazelnut."

The most well known, common coffee at Starbucks (by coffee, I mean, drip coffee, not espresso drinks or frappucinos, actual drip coffee) is their Pike Place Roast.  I think for many years, it was the only one you could get.  Now, Starbucks always has the signature Pike Place Roast ready to go, but also a darker, bolder blend, and the one I got, the Blonde.

I haven't consumed that much coffee from Starbucks over the years, so it is a bit hard to compare, but, I thought it was good, and still quite dark, at least compared to my normal coffee.  Fairly smooth, no funk, but, it had a deepness to it (that, uh, could have been from being kinda old ...).  Overall though, a nice cup of coffee, and a decent use of my 50 stars, particularly for the massive size (since, 50 stars gets you a coffee, no matter the size).

***+.
Sweet Cream Cold Foam. $1.
(on the side).
Cold foam is such the rage these days, so I decided to finally try it out, but opted to get it on the side, just in case I didn't care for it.  I randomly picked the Sweet Cream version, not really knowing the difference.

I later learned that regular cold foam is just nonfat milk and vanilla syrup that is blended with specific setting on their blender to fluff it up, but the Sweet Cream cold foam uses a mix of 2% and heavy cream, plus vanilla syrup.  The seasonal Pumpkin cold foam also uses the higher fat dairy, and this time, pumpkin syrup.

Anyway.  It is kinda cool stuff.  Fluffy and light, like whipped cream, but not quite the same, and, in this case, very sweet, since it has the vanilla syrup in it too.

I see how it could be nice to cap off a cold coffee drink, if I was into dairy in my coffee (which I'm generally not).

***.
Cold Brew, No Ice, Venti.
Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam (on the side). $6.25 or 135 Stars.
"Handcrafted in small batches daily, slow-steeped in cool water for 20 hours, without touching heat—Starbucks® Cold Brew is made from our custom blend of beans grown to steep long and cold for a super-smooth flavor."

Since I planned to drink this over several days, I asked for no ice and the vanilla sweet cream cold foam on the side.  My barista filled my cup ALL the way up in both cases, which was certainly going above and beyond - normally the cold brew would have plenty of ice in it, and it would just have a dollop of the foam.

The cold brew was fine - fairly intense, dark roast Starbucks style, but good, and I enjoyed it both warm and cold (although I did actually add a little water to dilute it a bit).  Not remarkable, not bad. ***+.

The vanilla sweet cream cold foam was lovely to add as a float on top, but also, I used a big scoop on my bread pudding that night, and it was great - sorta like a softer, sweeter whipped cream, if that makes any sense.  ****.
Nitro Cold Brew. Tall.
"Our Nitro Cold Brew is created when our signature Cold Brew (slow-steeped for 20 hours) is infused with nitrogen as it pours from the tap. Nitrogen infusion creates microbubbles, giving the coffee a cascading, frothy texture. The result is a velvety-smooth coffee with a subtly sweet flavor and a rich, creamy head of foam."

The head on this really was impressive.  Perfect microbubbles, really.  Sure, it didn't last long, but I really enjoyed the froth, and liked to sip this without the lid, and yes, even if that meant I got a froth mustache.

The nitro cold brew didn't taste much different to me than the regular cold brew however.  Yes, it had the head, but otherwise there was no noticeable difference.  Like the regular cold brew, I enjoyed it warm or cold, and diluted a bit.

***+.
Nitro Cold Brew (Grande). $5.75.
Chocolate Cold Foam (on the side). $1.25
"Our small-batch cold brew—slow-steeped for a super-smooth taste—gets even better. We're infusing it with nitrogen to create a sweet flavor without sugar and cascading, velvety crema. Perfection is served.  Topped with a silky, chocolaty cream cold foam."

Another day, another nitro cold brew.  I went for the largest size available, intending to drink it over two mornings.  For nitro cold brew, Starbucks does not allow venti.  The cold brew was good - very smooth, exactly as described.  Deep, intense coffee.  You can almost *feel* the  caffeine hit in here -  280 mg, compared to 205 mg in the same size non-nitro cold brew, or only 165 mg in a grande iced coffee.    ****.

The chocolate cold foam I asked to have on the side, not really intending to use it with my drink, but rather, to put on top of my dessert.  I was surprised by how sweet it was, definitely too sweet to really enjoy on its own, but I do see how it would nicely infuse a coffee beverage sipped through it.  The chocolate flavor was quite good, and it was very frothy, but, very sweet overall.  ***+.
Decaf Pike Place Roast. Venti. $3.45.
Add 4 shots decaf. +$4.
If you are a Starbucks rewards member, you know that a drip coffee (any size) is a 50 star item, while any espresso drinks are 150 stars.  For me, since I just get an Americano most of the time, this makes getting regular drip coffee when I'm redeeming stars considerably more attractive - 3 drinks instead of just one, although, obviously, not freshly prepared since drip coffee is batch brewed. 

The more interesting bit is that you can do whatever modifications you want for no additional stars - you can add shots, add cold foam, etc, modifications that themselves can easily cost more than the drink itself (or cost 25 stars each on their own).  To take full advantage of this, I ordered the largest size (venti) and added 4 extra shots to it ($1 each or 25 stars each normally), and intended to just add my own hot water to water it down and turn it into multiple servings.  So, 50 stars only, for a $7.45 drink.

When I arrived to pick up my order (I ordered on mobile), I was told that they did not have any decaf brewed, and I was offered an Americano instead.  I said sure, after confirming they wouldn't charge me more stars for it.  So now, I was getting a $8.25/150 star drink for just 50 stars, AND it was freshly made.  Even better.

How was it?  Well, obviously VERY strong, since I added the extra shots, but it worked perfectly to bring it home, add my own hot water, and have decaf to drink all afternoon long.  I don't think it is that great of coffee, not very complex or interesting, but, it doesn't have any decaf funk, and didn't taste stale.  I certainly would not pay $8.25 for this, but, for 50 stars (that I had won), it was fine.  ***. 
Extra Pistachio Cold Foam. $1.25.
Extra Caramel Brulee Topping. $0.50.
"Silky, pistachio cream cold foam."

Starbucks continues to capitalize on the cold foam fad, with new drinks topped with different flavors of cold foam coming out every few months.  In the winter of 2023, this was pistachio.  The recipe uses the regular vanilla sweet cream base (heavy cream, 2% milk, vanilla syrup) and adds pistachio sauce to it.  You can add it on to any drink for $1.25 (or, as I did, for free when redeeming stars for any other drink).  I also added the caramel brulee topping to try it out (usually $0.50.).  I asked for these on the side so I could really try the cold foam, and not have it masked by my drink.  

The cold foam had much less of a pistachio flavor that I was expecting.  It was mostly just sweetened cream, with a very very mild nutty flavor on the finish.  I wanted more pistachio, but, the flavor was still good, and the texture was great.  This is not whipped cream exactly, it is thicker and richer in a way, even if you'd expect it to be less heavy as a "foam'.  Like all the cold foams, it works best on top of a cold drink, where it can kinda float on top, and you get a little with each sip if you drink carefully.  If you put it on a hot drink, it just melts in, like whipped cream would on hot chocolate.  I also love using it on top of a thick slice of toasted brioche.  I was happy to try this one, and even if I wanted stronger pistachio flavor, it was still a favorite of the ones I have tried.  ***+.

The caramel brulee topping was basically fairly large size shards of caramel-y sugar.  Crunchy, sweet, and enjoyable.  I'm not sure I'd want them on my coffee normally, but, on top of the aforementioned toasted broiche, it absolutely worked.  ***+.
Extra Peppermint Chocolate Cream Cold Foam. $1.25.
Extra Chocolate Curls Topping. $0.50.
"Silky, chocolaty cream cold foam."

Another day, another cup of flavored cold foam, this time, I went for the peppermint chocolate, and to really seal the deal, added chocolate curls on top.  On the side from my beverage of course.  This one uses the regular sweet cream cold foam base, adds malt powder, and peppermint syrup.  

The foam was the same lovely texture as always, rich and sweet.  I didn't taste the peppermint, but the mild cocoa flavor was nice.  Not in your face chocolately, but, reasonable.  ***.

The dark chocolate shavings were delicious, and I appreciate that "extra" really meant extra here. ****.

I'm not sure I'd want this foam and shavings on a coffee (hot or cold), but it was delicious to dunk strawberries into, and use on top of toasted brioche to make a custard soaked fancy toast.

Update Reviews, 2019 - 2021

For my previous reviews, check out the collection:
Tall Iced Americano in Venti Cup, Decaf, Ristretto, Marshmallow Whip, Cinnamon Dolce Sprinkles, Cinnamon Powder, Vanilla Powder. $2.25.
It was S'mores Frappuccino "season", and I wanted the amazing marshmallow whipped cream. But it was a hot day, and I wanted something refreshing, and I didn't want something super heavy. Such a conundrum. So what's a girl to do? Yup, get an iced Americano, and top it with the whipped cream (and other yummy things ...)

I ordered through the mobile app, and noticed the option to have the shots ristretto, so I opted for that too.

I really enjoyed my creation. The flavor of the americano really shocked me, particularly for decaf. Maybe the ristretto made a difference? Maybe i just got lucky? It was complex and really not bad at all.

And then … the marshmallow whip. Swoon. That stuff is just delicious. Honestly, I’d gladly get an entire cup of just it. Hold the coffee. Just give me the whip.

And then the cinnamon dolce sprinkles, cinnamon powder, and vanilla powder, for a little extra fun.

This was perfect for the weather, perfect for my mood, and I'd gladly get it again.
Venti Clover Reserve® Nicaragua La Laguna Farm. $6.
"Lemon-lime citrus flavors with hazelnut and caramel accents, brought to you by the Valladarez family in Dipilto, Nicaragua."

I *ordered* the Reserve Nicaragua La Laguna Farm, made on the Clover.  I picked it specifically after reading all the tasting notes for the current selection, and felt it was the best match for my interests, hazelnut and caramel accents?  Sure!

When I got there, and my order was handed over however, I was told, "Oh, we are out of the Nicaragua, we haven't had it for a long time, but I made you another Reserve instead.  Its African too."

Sigh.  Double sigh.  And also, if they have been out of it for a long time, why did the mobile app allow me to order it?  Starbucks is actually usually pretty good about this, its frustrating actually, how often a store is out of what I want to order, but, at least I can see it in the app, and generally just pick another store that has it.

I was in a rush, hence my pre-order, so I didn't take the time to investigate more, and just accepted my fate.  It *was* a birthday freebie after all, but I had put a lot of thought into it.

Anyway, it was actually quite good.  I think it was probably the Zambia Isanya Estate, as I think the others were Hawaiian and Jamaican.  The Zambian one was described as having "citrus & baking chocolate" flavors, which I'm glad I didn't taste, as I don't care for citrus.  Instead, it was just a rich, very smooth coffee.

I was pleased with this, and I really do think the Clover can be worth it.  It had a remarkably smooth finish, zero touch of acidity or bitterness.
Sweet Cold Brew Whipped Cream
Cascara Topping / Cinnamon Dolce Sprinkles on the side. $0.50.
"Cold Brew White Chocolate Mocha Dark Caramel Whipped Cream."

"Whipped cream that's infused with cold brew, white chocolate and dark caramel. "

When I saw the option to add "Sweet Cold Brew Whipped Cream" as a topping, I just couldn't resist.  If Starbucks has a new flavored whipped cream, you know I need to try it.  Even when it contains caffeine.  And I always adore the cascara topping and cinnamon dolce sprinkles.

But I really didn't want it on my Clover brewed Reserve coffee, that would be ... just wrong.  There is no way to specify toppings "on the side" in the app, but, you can ask for this in the store.  I certainly wasn't expecting such a generous serving of whipped cream!  Yes, she gave me a full cup of whipped cream.  There is nothing else in the cup.

The description when I added it on just said "Sweet Cold Brew Whipped Cream", but I quickly tracked this down to the new whipped cream for the summer Frappuccinos, listed in the ingredients as "Cold Brew White Chocolate Mocha Dark Caramel Whipped Cream".  How's that for a mouthful?  A descriptive one, at least I guess!  "Sweet Cold Brew" summed it up a bit better.  It also carried a warning that it had caffeine, which I appreciated, and, promptly ignored ("it can't be that much ... " said the voice in my head).

It was good.  The flavor certainly had a mocha aspect to it, but it wasn't intense in your face espresso flavor.  It also wasn't too sweet, as I thought it might be from the dark caramel.  Nor too chocolately.  They did somehow balance these things out.  It was, well, tasty whipped cream.  Likely great on a Frappucino.  Or, um, by the spoonful, with crunchy sweet cascara topping and cinnamon dolce sprinkles, as I very much enjoyed it.
Tall Iced Americano in a Venti Cup, Decaf, Marshmallow Whip. $3.25.
I got delayed at Logan airport, and decided to recreate my drink once again.  However, ordering through the app was not enabled because of the airport location, and so it felt too complicated to add all my modifiers (ristretto, cinnamon dolce sprinkles, powders ...), so I kept it simple and just added the marshmallow whip.

It wasn't as good. The decaf was fine, but not as complex as my memory of the ristretto version just a week earlier.  Was it different beans? Different skill of barista?  Or just the fact that it wasn't ristretto?  I don't know.  It was fine, but, not great.

The marshmallow whip was again delicious, and I had a lot more this time since the barista used a domed lid.

The airport location was a full $1 more expensive than the one in town.
Venti Jade Citrus Mint Green Tea Latte
Soy, 2 Scoops Matcha Powder, Marshmallow Whip. (August).

"Bright citrus and rich China Chun Mee green tea base gets a hint of spearmint for a combination where refreshing meets refreshing." + "Smooth and creamy matcha is lightly sweetened and served with steamed milk. A perfect zen." + "Organic vanilla soymilk" + "Marshmallow-infused whipped cream."

Another year, another birthday reward to use.  I normally opt to make decadent Frappuccinos and maximize the value of my freebie that way, but, this year, San Francisco decided to celebrate Fogust in real style.  The weekend of my birthday was cold.  Dreary.  Moist.  I didn't want an icy beverage.  I wanted something warm and comforting.

I was not in the mood for just getting a coffee though, even a nice Reserve roast, even a Clover.  Nor was I in the mood for a milky sweet espresso drink.  And then I realized, I've never had had a Starbucks matcha.  But ... I also knew they switched to a matcha powder that is 50% sugar (rather than adding in sweetness separately), and it crazy sweet.  I like soy milk with my matcha, and they use sweetened vanilla soy milk.  I feared the result would be too sweet (which, everyone says).

So I did some research, and found a recommendation from a barista on Reddit. Use one of the Teavanna green teas as a base.  Have it made as a tea latte (Starbucks can do this, even though they only list the English Breakfast and London Fog as tea lattes on the menu).  Add half the matcha powder.  You get a more complex green tea flavor, still some matcha-ness, creaminess, and, it isn't too sweet.  This sounded great to me, even though I couldn't order through the app (no way to transform a different tea into a latte).  And, because I saw it was still offered, I added on some marshmallow whip.  Because I love that stuff.

I was really satisfied with the result.

The tea flavor really was quite complex.  I appreciated the citrus and the mint tones (in fact, I often add peppermint syrup to a matcha anyway).  I appreciated that it did taste like green tea AND matcha.  The matcha was just strong enough to add a pleasant bitter undertone.  It was creamy from the soy milk.  And, swoon, that fluffy sweet marshmallow whip I just adore.

This was a total success, and I'd gladly get one again.
Cold Brew. No Ice.  Tall. $3.25.
"Handcrafted in small batches daily, slow-steeped in cool water for 20 hours, without touching heat—Starbucks® Cold Brew is made from our custom blend of beans grown to steep long and cold for a super-smooth flavor."

Starbucks has been really, really pushing the cold brew drinks lately, and now offers a very wide range of items (cold brew or nitro cold brew, with many different syrups and toppings).  Every store boasts signs for them, and the cold brew taps are prominent inside the store.

I finally decided to try it.  I went simple, and classic.  Cold brew.  No cold foam, no caramel syrup, nothing.  I wanted to taste the cold brew on its own first.

I also got it without ice, since I was planning to try a sip immediately, but otherwise walk home with it and enjoy it in my warmer environment (it was not exactly a warm day, and, although I did grow up in New England, I do not drink iced coffee in the winter!), so I didn't want it to dilute, and hey, I had plenty of ice at home.  I actually wasn't expecting them to fill it up to the brim, I wasn't trying to "hack" Starbucks to get even more coffee for the same price, but hey, not a bad thing.

I took my first sip, and was quite pleased.  This was some serious coffee.  It was intense, and that was a good thing.

The word "velvety" immediately jumped to mind.  It ... almost tasted thick.  So smooth.  Intense flavor.  I loved it.

I drink a lot of bottled cold brews, but this was really in a league of its own. Maybe from being on tap, maybe from being fresher, I don't know, but it was smooth, rich, and very, very good.

I also have since found that I can get a bigger size, save half, and enjoyed it the next morning, warm or cold, and it is still great.  And yes, it tastes good warmed as well (I do it in microwave, at reduced power, and it seems to work!)
Cold Brew with Salted Cream Cold Foam.  No Ice.  No Caramel Syrup.  Trenta. $5.45 or 150 Stars.

"Here's a savory-meets-sweet refreshing beverage certain to delight: our signature, super-smooth cold brew, sweetened with a touch of caramel and topped with a salted, rich cold foam."

The next time I ordered a cold brew, I was using my star rewards, which cost the same amount (150 stars) no matter the size.  So, uh, yeah, I got a Trenta, the biggest size available, and, honestly, totally ridiculous.  I felt silly holding it.  This thing had ... 320 mg of caffeine!  My plan was to drink some when I picked it up, but mostly save it for my morning cup (cold or warm) over the next 3 mornings.  I opted for no ice, so it wouldn't water down.

I also opted to try one of the "fancier" cold brew options, again, more expensive with dollars, but not with stars.  Why not have some fun with it?  Starbucks has two different topped versions, but I was able to rule out the "Cold Brew with Salted Honey Cold Foam" fairly easily as I just don't like the idea of honey and coffee together.

But I loved the idea of "salted cream cold foam", so went for that one.  I didn't want the extra caramel added that comes with it, though, so I had that left out.  The regular recipe for a grande is 4 pumps of syrup, for this size, it was 7.  I have a hard time considering that "a touch of caramel" as described!  With the caramel, this would also clock in  36 grams of sugar, which, for what looks like a pretty basic cold brew with just some topping, is far, far more than what I was looking for in the morning.   Also, I love the taste of the deep rich cold brew, and I didn't want it masked by the caramel.  I'm glad I made this decision.

The cold brew was again really just good.  Strong, smooth, not acidic, just, well, quality cold brew.  And the salted cream cold foam?  This was actually "Salted Vanilla Sweet Cream" according to the ingredients, not quite "salted, rich cold foam" as described.  It was *delicious*.  It was sweet, it was salty, it was thick, rich, cream.  For some reason, I was expecting a lighter foam, like the "cloud" they use in some of the newer drinks, not a thick cream.  I thought it would be lighter than whipped cream, and this was much heavier, more like the toppings on bubble tea drinks actually.  Which I adored.  Sweet and savory, and so so good.

This drink, as ordered, would be 340 calories, 21 grams of fat (even the grande is 230 cal / 14 grams fat), but some portion of the calories are the sugar from the caramel syrup.  Still, the fat and rest of it is definitely that decadent "foam", so, beware if you are wanting a lighter option.

I adored this, and would definitely get it again.  I do wish I could get the topping on the side though, so I could save the cold brew without the cream in it, to better utilize for several mornings.  And even to have some without, just deep rich dark cold brew, and only add in sweet decadent foam as I crave it.  But that is just me optimizing for maximum reward for my stars, and a drink to last me a couple days.  If I got a normal size, I'd still leave off the caramel syrup, but I'd get the "foam" if I were in the mood for a treat.

Original Review, 2013

Last week, I posted about the frappuccinos from Starbucks.  I've also reviewed other things a few other times.  But, it seems like time for an update on ... hot beverages!
Tall White Chocolate Mocha, Decaf, Soy, Whip.  $3.55.
Described as: "Espresso with white chocolate flavored sauce and steamed milk. Topped with sweetened whipped cream."

I've never really been a mocha drinker, much less a white chocolate mocha drinker, but I had a really delicious one from Sugar Cafe on a cold, blustery day, and had been craving one ever since.  So, I decided to try one at Starbucks.

It was very disappointing.  It didn't have any flavor at all.  I couldn't taste the espresso, and would have believed you if you told me it didn't have any in it.  I also didn't taste white chocolate, just some subtle sweetness.  Nor did I taste soy.  I have no idea how all the flavors cancelled each other out so dramatically, but they did.  The whipped cream on top was pretty standard.

It also was barely lukewarm.  Meh, meh, meh.  Would not get again.
Tall Tazo Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte, skim, 1/2 sweet.  $2.95.
It as a cold, rainy day, and we were driving back from Tahoe.  I wanted something warm and comforting.  We stopped for gas, and there was a Starbucks next door, so I decided that even though I haven't really liked any of the coffee or espresso beverages at Starbucks, there must be something there that could cheer me up.

I scanned the menu, and saw tea lattes.  I hadn't ever noticed them before, as I don't generally order tea when I'm out (it just seems crazy to pay several dollars for a tea bag and water!), and the tea lattes were under the general tea section.  I haven't ever even had a tea latte before anywhere, but they seemed like a reasonable idea.  I figured it was basically just a really milky tea.  I sometimes like tea with a fair amount of milk, and this seemed like a way to add more milk and not cool down my drink.  Sounded good to me.

I didn't want caffeine, so went for the rooibos.  I was a bit surprised when he mentioned that it normally came with 3 pumps of syrup.  I was expecting just a tea bag and some steamed milk, not extra sweetness added.  I'm glad he mentioned this, as I decided to get it with only 1.5 pumps (his suggestion), and I can't imagine it being sweeter.  Seriously, why is everything so ridiculously sweet at Starbucks?  I like sweets, ok, I LOVE sweets, but the default version of everything there is just way, way too sweet!

When I looked the drink up at home later, I saw the description: "an infusion of rooibos, steamed milk, syrup, vanilla and cinnamon, topped with velvety foam."  Aha, yes, syrup.

Anyway.  I liked this drink far more than I expected to.  It reminded me of the milk teas I drank in Japan - sweet, milky, and totally comforting.  It really was exactly what I was in the mood for.  The tea itself was a decent enough rooibos, and it held up to the milk well.  It was sweet, almost too sweet, and the full 3 pumps would have likely been nasty.  I'd definitely consider getting one of these again, and I'd be sure to remember to ask for perhaps just a single pump!

[ Update: On a recent ski trip, again to Tahoe, my ski bus stopped at Starbucks.  I wanted a comforting warm drink, so again went for the Rooibos Tea Latte, since I know I don't love Starbucks coffee.  I remembered thinking it was too sweet, so I asked for half sweet.  It still wound up too sweet for me, and then I re-read my last review, and saw that I wanted it less sweet the next time.  Whoops.  I really need to learn to read my own reviews :)  Next time: 1 pump.  Or maybe unsweetened, and I can just add a little if necessary from the condiment station.  Also, price went up, $3.15 now. ]
Tall Iced Decaf Skim Caramel Macchiato. $3.55.
"Espresso combined with vanilla-flavored syrup, milk and caramel sauce over ice."

I need to stop taking recommendations.  I stopped in on a hot day, and the women taking my order raved about their new hazelnut macchiato (which I did have at a later time, and actually, it was quite good).  Why didn't I have it on this visit?  Well, she then told me she was out of hazelnut syrup, but that the caramel one was good too.  I remembered drinking the hot version of this back before I drank coffee, and thought they were crazy sweet ridiculous drinks.  But she said the cold one was perfect on a hot day.  Spoiler: it wasn't.

This was an incredibly boring drink.  Basically, a glass of skim milk, slightly bitter coffee flavored, with some thick caramel stuck to the bottom of the cup.  I guess there was vanilla syrup in there too, but I didn't taste it.  The only redeeming quality is that it wasn't overly sweet like most Starbucks drinks.  The caramel was tasty, but even when I tried to mix it in, I failed.  Serious meh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails