Wednesday, August 16, 2023

AweSum Dim Sum, NYC

AweSum is a (cutely) named dim sum restaurant with several locations in Manhattan.  I don't know much about the place, besides that they get generally good reviews (4.5 stars on Yelp, with a fair number of reviews), and ... they do a promo for a free dessert  for your birthday.  You know how much I love a good freebie, and a birthday one at that, so, AweSum easily made it on my list of birthday adventures.

The promo I had seen was for a sweet peach filled bun.  When I arrived, I mentioned my birthday, and had my ID ready, knowing it would be needed (the promo is on your birthday only, no sign up or anything required).  The staff member had no idea what I was talking about, and further, they don't even have a peach bun on the menu.  I wasn't going to press on it, as I had a list of 20+ other birthday freebies I could go do, but, the staff member quickly offered to ask someone else.  A few staff members chatted, they pulled out a laminated sign with the peach bun on it, all exclaimed a few things and nodded vigorously,  and told me they no longer have it.  But, they were happy to give me something else instead.  The manager did a quick check of my ID, and said it would be just a moment.

I had no idea what I was getting, but, victory?  I couldn't wait to see what they had randomly given me.

Seating.
If you are interested in visiting, the business is a casual one, where you order at the front register with a staff member or via a kiosk, and seat yourself.  It seemed clean and comfortable.  I took my treat to go, headed onward to the next stop on my crawl.
Egg Custard Tarts (3). $5.95.
I opened my bag to find an order of egg custard tarts, a full order of 3.  I certainly expected only 1 of something.  They were still warm.

And ... they were very good!  The pastry was light and flaky, the custard lightly sweet and very creamy, not too eggy.  They really struck a great balance of just lightly sweet.  Very nice custard tarts really.  Considerably better than average, and they seemed very fresh.  ****.

These are normally $5.95, but, for your birthday, free!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails