Monday, June 11, 2018

Patxi's Pizza

Patxi's is a bay area based pizza chain that I've known of basically since I moved to the area.  They have locations all over the Bay Area (including 5 in SF alone), but also in Colorado and Seattle.

Back when I lived in Palo Alto, we ordered Patxi's fairly regularly, from their first location.  Much like Little Star, the signature pizza is deep dish.  There is much debate among locals of which is better, Little Star or Patxi's (or Zachary's, but that is in Berkeley only).

I favored Little Star, and stopped going to Patxi's long ago, but recently had a chance to try it again when a friend ordered for a party.  They do of course offer more than just pizza (salads, wings, meatballs, dips, etc), but, all I have ever had is pizza (and salad).

Deep Dish 

"Our signature deep dish pizza, topped with a thin layer of extra dough, homemade tomato sauce and whole milk mozzarella."
When I lived in Palo Alto, the deep is always what we got, whether it was for dine-in or delivery.  I was only vaguely aware that they even made thin crust, to be honest.

I didn't write reviews back then though, so I don't have any ... besides to say that I know I liked it, and I always got the "Special" which is with their garlic-fennel sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions, and I remember liking the whole wheat crust version too.  Basically, the three veggies I grew up with as our default pizza, plus, sausage.

I also remember that it really did take a while to bake, so we always got salad (caesar) as a starter while waiting, but normally just ordered delivery, to avoid all that.

Deep dish is also available with a whole wheat crust, and with low fat mozzarella or Daiya vegan cheese, if you have dietary preferences.  No gluten free option for deep dish.

Thin Crust

"Light and crispy, our italian thin crust made with extra fine “00” flour, baked to perfection."

Patxi's does also make a thin crust though, it just was totally off my radar.  But recently I attended a party with Patxi's pizza, and for some reason, that is what our host picked.

Thin crust is also available with whole wheat crust, but also with gluten-free crust (free of charge) and all the same cheese options.
Thin Crust Salsiccia.
"All-natural garlic-fennel sausage • herbed ricotta • fresh basil • mozzarella • homemade tomato sauce • Parmesan."

This was my first time trying Patxi's thin crust pizza.  This was a mixed success.

The crust was fine, nicely crispy, a bit of char on the back that I liked.  Standard, good thin crust.  I liked the crispy bits of basil.  The garlic-fennel sausage was flavorful and tasty.  All good things.

I do love their sauce, but the thin crust has such a thin layer that I could barely taste it.  I missed the wetter deep dish.

But the real reason I didn't like this very much was the herbed ricotta.  I like ricotta, don't get me wrong, but there was actually tons of it on here (not just the glob you can see), and it made the whole thing very dry.  Between the small amount of sauce and the plentiful dry ricotta, it just ate too dry for me.  Warming it up more didn't really help.

So overall, yeah, crust was fine, sauce and sausage great still, but, overall, not a slice I particularly loved.  Back to deep dish!
Patxi's Pizza Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails