Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Bun Mee, SFO

Bun Mee has been on my radar for years, a fast casual Vietnamese restaurant, with a slew of banh mi choices (hence the name), but also crispy egg rolls, sweet potato fries, and really fun sauces - all things I like.

They have several locations in San Francisco, including Pacific Heights and downtown.  But my first visit was where I expected it to shine far less ... the airport.
SFO Food Court Location.
At SFO, Bun Mee is located in the larger food court of Terminal 3, airside.  It features a stripped down menu, but still plenty of items that appealed to me.

Bun Mee Sandwiches.

The sandwich lineup at Bun Mi has always excited me, even though I'm not a sandwich girl.  The sloppy bun, a Vietnamese spin on a sloppy joe with red curry beef, is near the top of my list, but the crispy catfish with red curry mayo isn't far behind, and it is hard to resist a pork bely option!
Wrapped Sandwich.
To take on my flight though, I went more classic, since I wasn't eating it right away, and wanted something that would hold up better: the "Combo", which was no slouch, containing pork, paté, and mortadella!  Yes, I adore mortadella (e.g. fancy bologna) and paté is always most welcome in my world.

It was quickly made to order, and handed over nicely wrapped up.
Bun Mee Combo. $8.
"Grilled lemongrass Kurobuta pork, paté de campagne, mortadella, garlic mayo, shaved onion, pickled carrot & daikon, cucumber, jalapenos, cilantro."

I really enjoyed this.

Well, I enjoyed parts of it.  The bread was a fairly standard baguette, I believe they did it hollowed out style.  Decently crisp exterior, but I'm just not a bread girl.  I think I tasted sourdough?

Inside was a quite generous serving of the lemongrass pork, a good smear of paté, a slice of mortadella, a smear of garlic mayo, tons of pickled carrot & daikon, slices of cucumber, and a few jalapeños and springs of cilantro.

The proteins were the star.  The grilled lemongrass pork was really better than I expected, great flavor, tender.  I gobbled it up, even though there really was quite a bit, more than any other ingredient.  I adored the paté, it added the right level of liver flavor, strong but not too strong, and I would have gladly had even more.  I also liked the mortadella, my favorite of all deli meats, and again, would gladly have more.  The proteins really were fantastic.

The mayo added a nice creamy component, although I didn't taste the promised garlic.  I'd gladly have even more mayo too.

The veggies were all eh to me though, I didn't care for the Vietnamese style pickled diakon and carrot, the soggy cucumber, nor the herbs.

So, I guess it is strange to say I really liked this, when I didn't like the bread or veggies, but the proteins were just so good I didn't care.

I'd gladly get this again, just planning to eat the proteins out of the bread ... or really, try to get it salad style (if they do that?).

****.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails