Monday, June 08, 2020

Choco Taco

Oh Choco Tacos.  Ice cream.  Tacos.  Classic, classic treats.  They've been around since 1984!

I have fond memories of these from the rare times growing up when we were allowed to get them at Del Taco, after our taco salads.  My family didn't go to Del Taco often, and we certainly didn't normally get desserts, but when we did, I always adored them.  I am a dessert girl after all.

I never thought about Choco Tacos again, until about a year ago.  I had a batch of them, enjoyed a couple, and then ... had a freezer melt down.  You might recall my ridiculous adventure sticking a defrosted + refrozen one into my waffle iron?  Yeah, I did that.  And it was glorious.

But I somehow never published my review of the actual product in its normal form.  Time to correct that!
Choco Taco.
"Enjoy vanilla with fudgy swirls wrapped in a crunchy, sugar-cone taco, then drenched in a thick, chocolatey coating and sprinkled with peanuts. Ice cream fans and taco lovers can finally come together with this crunchy dessert taco."

For the unfamiliar, the Choco Taco is basically a ... ice cream sundae cone, just, as a taco. A dessert taco.

Yes, it is basically a creation like a Drumstick, very similar components, just, put together differently.  Same kind of ice cream, same chocolate and peanuts coating, same sugar cone lined with chocolate ... yet far more fun to eat in taco form.  Sold individually in a shiny wrapper.
Choco Taco.
"Vanilla ice cream with fudgy swirls wrapped in a crunchy sugar cone taco, then drenched in a thick, chocolatey coating and sprinkled with peanuts."

Behold: the choco taco!

If anything, the ratios alone make them winners compared to regular sundae cones, more chocolate and peanuts!

However, the cone, er, taco shell, is still not a winner for me, even with the chocolate coating, it is fairly soggy.  Just like many sundae cones.  They've struggled with this over the years, reformulating it several times, but, it still wasn't crispy enough for me.  On the plus side, it *was* easier to extract the ice cream and toppings from the taco shell than a sundae cone, so, +1 point for that!

The ice cream melted nicely, and was higher quality than many novelties, or at least, it hit the spot for me.

I really liked the snappy milk chocolate and nuts.

I enjoyed this more than expected, and I'd gladly have another.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails