Friday, February 17, 2023

Orion Turtle Chips

As you know, I love snacks.  Even better is snacks from other countries.  And best yet, snacks with interesting flavors.  Which gets us to Orion, a South Korean brand, one of the top manufacturers in the country.

Orion makes Orion a variety of items, like biscuits, cookies, pies, crackers, chips, chocolate, gum, and candy.  If you don't recognize the Orion name, you may know one of its products: Choco Pie, its top seller that has been around since 1974.
"Turtle Chips are characterized by rich texture and double flavor because they create the feeling of eating several chips with only one bite. When you slowly chew your sweets, it maximizes crispiness in your mouth and the resembling turtles are also the alluring features of Turtle Chips."
The largest of their chip lines is the kkobuk chips, or "turtle chips".  The name of the chip comes from the shape, that somewhat resembles a turtle shell.  The come in many flavors, both savory and sweet.  On the savory side, flavors include truffle, corn soup, shrimp, crunch cheese, flamin lime, onion, nutty bean, and seaweed. For sweet, there is vanilla, sweet soybean, cinnamon, and choco churro.

I got these on a whim from a Korean grocery store in San Francisco (along with the Honey Butter Chips), and I'm glad I did.  They were incredible.  I'd get them again in a heartbeat, and would love to try more flavors, but alas, they only had one.
Choco Churro.
"This snack, composed of four crunchy layers, harmonizes and blends in the flavor of Choco Churros."

Ok, these are wild.  I sorta thought I knew what to expect, but it turns out, I really did not.  

The form factor truly is unlike anything else I've seen, with the signature four layers.  The eating experience of these is fantastic.  Just as they say, it really does give you the sensation of eating several chips in a single bite.  They are perfectly crisp, and certainly addicting just based on the shape.

And then there is the taste.  This is where I was even more thrown off, as I was expecting a strong cinnamon component, per the churro name.  There was cinnamon, but really not much of it.  For me, this was a good thing, as I like cinnamon, but, cinnamon and chocolate aren't a magical combination for me.  The pieces did have a great chocolate flavor, a deep cocoa, and additional sugar coating that made them sorta lightly glazed.  Sweet and chocolately, with just a hint of cinnamon.  

The flavor reminded me of unhealthy children's breakfast cereals, but the form was more of a snack, or even a dessert if you wanted to dunk them in whipped cream, which sounds like a wonderful idea to me.  Ok, honestly, I think I'd really enjoy them for breakfast too, and I think the nutrition stats really aren't any different from sugary chocolately breakfast cereals, but mine never lasted that long.

I really enjoyed these, and will get them again if I ever find them!  ****.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails