Friday, July 07, 2023

Cap'n Crunch Cereal

Cap'n Crunch is not a cereal I grew up with.  While I was vaguely aware of it, we were a strictly Life cereal family, with some dabbles in Rice Krispies and Raisin Bran, but, definitely never Cap'n Crunch.  And unlike many other sugary kid's cereals, like Fruit Loops or Cocoa Puffs, once I hit adulthood, I didn't find any reason to seek it out.  And thus, I lived 40 years without ever having Cap'n Cruch.

"Cap'n Crunch® is the famed adventurer and breakfast connoisseur bringing adventure to your breakfast table and beyond."
For the unfamiliar, Cap'n Crunch is a figure, a captain, who, um, apparently is an adventurer and breakfast connoisseur.  He's also the namesake of a line of breakfast cereals, all with the original "crunch" pieces, but also available in a slew of spin-offs, including peanut butter, chocolate caramel, cotton candy, and the popular Crunch Berries, along with a line of cereal bars (think: rice krispie treats).

Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries
"Rock your taste buds in a berry crunchy way. Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries® take the original crunch you love, and add in bursts of colorful berry flavor. "

As I said, I'd actually never had Cap'n Crunch in my life.  Just, well, never.  Certainly not the kind of cereal we had in my house growing up, and Quaker brand cereals are rarely found in hotel breakfast buffets, so ... I just haven't encountered it before I guess.

I tried Crunch Berries before the original, as my niece had this, and I, uh, stole a cup?

I first had a dry handful, and my first thought was, "woah, sugar!"  Both the slightly fruity colorful little balls, and the regular crunch pieces, were very, very sweet.  No wonder my mom didn't allow us cereal like this growing up.  It made for a decent enough sweet snack out of the box, but as a breakfast cereal ... wowzer.  That said, I did like digging around for the Kix-like colorful "berries".

It was better with milk, as some of the sweet coating went into the milk, making perfect "cereal milk", and lessening the strong hit of sweetness, but, yeah.  Dessert.  Not breakfast.  Really.

***, it was fine, really, but I wouldn't ever go seek this out.

Cap’n Crunch®.

"Sweet and golden, with a crunch you’ll love, nothing competes with the original Cap’n Crunch®. Grab a bowl or cup for an easy snack that goes great with couch time, anytime.'

Next I went for the original Cap'n Crunch, no Crunch Berries.  It was slightly less exciting as it had no fruity colorful balls strewn throughout, but otherwise, it was still very, very sweet.  Again, perfectly munchable dry, more tempered with milk, and very, very sweet.

I think I preferred the Crunch Berries just because it was a bit more interesting?  But neither are varieties of cereal I'd ever seek out.

***.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails