Monday, August 28, 2023

Yakitori Tatsu, NYC

Yakitori Tatsu is a food stand, that I discovered at Smorgasburg in Brooklyn.  They do not have a regular storefront, or any real social media presence, so I don't know much more about the place.  I was drawn in by the menu, and the lovely aromas from the grill, but I didn't care for what I got, and the lack of lines there, compared to other places, should have been a warning sign to me.  I wouldn't return.

I would return to Smorgasburg however.  Totally my kind of event. 

"Smorgasburg is the largest weekly open-air food market in America, attracting thousands of people each weekend to Brooklyn, Manhattan, Jersey City, Los Angeles, Miami and Toronto to eat from dozens of local vendors."

I hadn't heard of it before my recent visit to New York, when I stumbled into the Saturday location in Williamsburg where I was staying, but apparently, it happens in a number of cities.  In New York, there are multiple locations, with slightly different vendor lineup, on different days of the week.  It runs all summer long.  And, if you RSVP (for free) online, and are one of the first 50 to arrive, you get a token for $5 credit to use at any vendor.

I of course love my freebies, so this was greatly appealing to me, and while I could have used the $5 and paid a little more myself for any number of things, in true Julie-style, I was determined to make it totally free, so, stuck to $5 or less items.  I had plenty of choice.

Food Stand.
The menu at Yakitori Tatsu is, well, yakitori.  Skewers of assorted proteins, ranging from boring (to me) chicken or tofu nuggets, to interesting seafood like eel, scallops, or squid, and premiums like lamb chops or kobe beef.  Skewers are sold individually, with prices ranging from $4-9.  Besides that, the only other offering is rice, and "condiment".  Buy 3, save $1.  Pay by cash, save 3.5%. 
Squid Skewer. $5.
My skewer was handed over after a few moments on the grill.  I think most of them had been pre-cooked, and then were just being warmed to serve.  This was in contrast to another skewer based stand, that was cooking them all from raw, and, in retrospect, I certainly would have visited the other, had I realized the reheating situation at Yakitori Tatsu.  It came with no garnish, no sauce.

Still, I was excited for my squid. It had a nice aroma from the charcoal grill.  I was a bit surprised not to see more grill or char marks though.

I bit in and ... hmm.  It was very rubbery.  It didn't seem particularly fully cooked, not raw exactly, but, not really cooked if that makes sense.  So chewy.  The charcoal flavor was nice, but, besides that, it was flavorless.  It didn't seem to have been marinated nor seasoned in any way.

So, no char, no grill marks, no marinade, no seasoning, no sauce, and very chewy and rubbery.  Yeah, this was a complete letdown.  Not much positive about it, besides the lightly smoky flavor.  *.

1 comment:

  1. Yakitori literally means "grilled chicken", so I'd be pretty suspicious of any yakitori place with non-chicken offerings, and they should also offer you a choice of sauce (tare) or salt (shio) for each skewer. That said, the actual Japanese word for grilled random things on a stick (kushiyaki) is probably too obscure for their audience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails