Monday, July 27, 2020

Sushirrito

Another Update Review, July 2020

Another day, another takeout meal from Sushiritto, our quarantine regular haunt it seemed.  This time I visited with my partner, so we were able to split a sushi burrito AND get the amazing tempura.  I mostly just wanted tempura, so I had him pick the sushi burrito, which gave me a chance to try a new one.

"Teriyaki-Baked Salmon | Tempura Asparagus | Pickled Cucumbers | Green Leaf Lettuce | Pumpkin Seeds | Japanese 7-Spice."

This was my partner's order, but I still tried it.

I liked it far more than I expected, since, well, it is cooked salmon, not ever what I'd choose (I like salmon raw, or mid-rare, but rarely, rarely cooked).

I obviously didn't care for the pickled cucumbers, as I didn't like them before, and I think he had some avocado in there?  Is that the ginger guac?  Those I clearly would have left out, but, his order.

The lettuce sounded odd when I read it, but, it actually worked really well, adding some lightness and freshness, almost making it like a salmon burger/sando.  I liked that.

The same with the pumpkin seeds.  Sounded really odd, but, worked, adding some crunch.

Speaking of crunch, the tempura asparagus was great, super oily, but yay for crunch.

The salmon was actually shockingly good - really tasty teriyaki sauce, sweet, and accented the fish well.  And the fish was not fishy, was extremely moist, just, well, good.  Well, huh.  There was a decent portion, but, its not a particularly "salmon forward" item.

There definitely seemed to be a creamy component in here, and I know the menu doesn't list an aioli or anything, but there sure seemed to be some.

Overall, I was actually far more pleased with this than I expected.  It had the magic Sushiritto combo of great flavors and crunch, that they just nail.  I planned to take a bite and move on, but went back for a second, and a third, and then, even later, a 4th bite ...

And *then* I moved on to the tempura shrimp, always, just, well, the best.  I still like those best with wasabi mayo rather than the sriracha aioli they come with.

Update Review June 2020 Visit

Yup, more Sushiritto.  This is just a quick review, when my partner came home with extra Sushiritto since he ordered both a burrito AND shrimp tempura for himself, and wasn't sharing with anyone.  Unfortunately, he didn't pick a sushi burrito that I normally go for, and he *didn't* bring home any tempura (!), but of course I still tried it.
Half a Sushiritto.
As always, the sushi burrito came nicely wrapped up, add sliced in half.  Very easy to share, or save a half, as my partner did.

This came home with him.
Geisha's Kiss. $15.
"Yellowfin Tuna (raw) | Tamago | Piquillo Peppers | Taro Chips | Pickled Cucumbers | Green Leaf Lettuce | Sesame White Soya."


I would never order this, as 1) I don't care for raw tuna, 2) I don't care for piquillo peppers, and 3) um, just a light sauce? Where is the aioli?

Yeah, not my style at all, besides the chips, heh.  But still, I wanted to try it, so I sliced off a chunk.

It still had all the good elements of Sushiritto: crispy things! crunchy things! Balanced textures!  But yes, I wasn't into the piquillo peppers, although I know they were good quality ones, nice flavor to them.  And I wanted some aioli (which, uh, I added wasabi aioli to my bite, heh).  The tamago was pretty standard, and honestly I didn't think went great with the tuna, but, I do like tamago.  Tuna was ... yeah, it was fresh enough, nothing fishy, nothing strange, but, not my top choice of protein.

I did like the pickled cucumbers, chunks rather than slices, and definitely more fun (and more my style) than fresh cucumbers.  I really like pickles, dislike raw cucumbers.

This is usually made with lotus chips, but they are currently subbing with taro chips due to availability.  I of course loved those.

Overall, a balanced nicely designed product, just, not the one I'd ever order.  I was still glad to try!

Update Review March 2020 Visit

Week one of shelter in place in SF due to Covid-19.  Doing my part to support local establishments, and, of course, to feed myself delicious things.

First up on my list?  Sushiritto! While I do enjoy their sushi burritos, and I am eager to try the new bowls sometime, I had one thing on my mind: the tempura shrimp that we adored on our last visit.  Since I couldn't dine in, I got takeout, so it would be hot and fresh - delivery didn't seem like the best option for this one.

I placed my order via mobile (DoorDash, although they are on Caviar and Ritual as well, plus have their own online ordering), and it was ready as I arrived, piping hot.

Side note: Stuck doing a lot of pickup and delivery these days? Want to try some free food and new pickup or delivery services?  Here are some codes ...
  • Door Dash ($15 off, $5 each of your first 3 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Caviar ($20 off, $10 off your first 2 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Ritual ($6 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Delivery.com ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Grub Hub ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
The shrimp was even better than I remembered, and I can't wait to return.
Shrimp tempura / sriracha aioli. $8.
I'll cut right to the chase.  This was fantastic.  I can safely say it is my favorite tempura in the city. Yup, from the sushi burrito place.

It was piping hot, freshly fried to order.  It wasn't greasy nor oily, didn't leave an oil slick behind, and didn't taste of oil.  The shrimp were extremely well coated in flavorful batter, crispy beyond belief.  And inside?  Juicy succulent shrimp.  I loved them so much I even ate the entire crispy fried tails.

So.  good.  

On the side was sriracha aioli, which took me a bit by surprise, as last time it came with gochujang agave sauce, which I liked, but not with these shrimp.  I came prepared this time with my own dipping sauce, intending to save the one that came with it and use it later, but that didn't turn out to be necessary.  The sriracha aioli was good, creamy, spicy mayo.  I think actually I'd like a lighter tempura sauce with these more, unless I was serving them on top of a real salad (like in the sumo crunch bowl), as just dunking large fried shrimp into mayo feels a bit, uh, heavy after a few.

As before, it came served over a tiny portion of cabbage and yellow/red bell peppers.  I loved the cabbage for a bit of crunch, and actually would love more, but pushed aside the peppers, just not my thing, although they added a nice pop of color.

The order now comes with 6 shrimp (it was only 4 before), which definitely makes it far too substantial to add on to a sushi burrito order as a "side", but it also makes for a perfect item to share alongside a burrito that you split.  Or to pair with lava nachos as a meal?

Update Review July 2019

As you know from my previous reviews, I like Sushiritto, home of the original (at least the in Bay Area) sushi burrito fad.  However, I've been stuck in a serious rut when I go to Sushiritto, as I love one of their creations so much (the Sumo Crunch), and I've just found it impossible to consider ordering anything else.

So I was thrilled on my recent trip when I went with a group of 3, and they agreed to share things, which doesn't normally make sense with a burrito, but, we (er, I), also really wanted to try some newer items on the Sushiritto menu that were more shareable.

Our visit was on a Saturday afternoon, around noon, to the Kearny Street location.  Ordering was quick and easy, and we were able to get one of the few seats inside.
Feast for 3.
We opted to split just one sushi burrito (regular size, although I considered ordering 2 minis, another newer item on the Sushiritto menu), plus two other dishes, from the "Side Kicks" menu, although, it is a bit hard to consider these as sides, I can't imagine ordering one alongside a full size sushi burrito.

We enjoyed trying new items, and, I do have a new, or maybe additional, favorite item.

Side Kicks

The "Side Kicks" menu at Sushiritto is a bit funny.  It contains 2 sauces (not really sides ...), simple edamame, a fusion nacho dish that is as big as an entree, and, the new shrimp tempura standalone side.  The later two are what grabbed our attention.
Crispy Shrimp Tempura / Gochujang agave sauce. $5.97.
Sushiritto has long had shrimp tempura ... but only as a component in the Sumo Crunch, not as something you could order separately.  But if you recall my reviews of the Sumo Crunch, I always *adored* the shrimp tempura, so I was thrilled, thrilled, thrilled to see these now as an option I could order separately.

The shrimp tempura were the first item ready, and we dug in immediately.  They were hot and fresh, clearly made to order.

The shrimp tempura were fabulous.  Super crispy, flavorful batter, well coated, not too greasy.  Everyone really enjoyed these, and all wanted the extra one (as we had 3 people, and 4 tempura).  I claimed it, but the others, after finishing everything else, declared the shrimp tempura so good that they decided we needed another batch, and ordered more.

The dipping sauce was gochujang agave sauce, which I found interesting, as I expected they'd re-use a sauce from one of the burritos, but this is offered just with the tempura.  It was slightly sweet and slightly spicy, kinda fascinating.  I liked it, although I’m usually more into aioli or creamy sauces, but this was good, more like a more complex, interesting sweet chili sauce.  I gladly saved the extra.

I also ordered a side of the wasabi mayo, to have a creamy option too.  It had decent kick, but didn’t work as well for dipping tempura because of the wasabi flavor for some reason.  It was good, but, I used it later on other things, but I wouldn't recommend for the tempura.

This was a major hit, and I'd gladly get it again, although clearly one you need to consume immediately, not really as good for delivery.
Lava Nachos. $8.68.
"Tuna picante, brown rice chips, melted pepper jack cheese, ginger guac, green onions, nori strips, and sriracha aioli. Contains raw fish. Nut-free."

The lava nachos have been on the menu for a while, I was pretty skeptical of them, but they get such great reviews that I wanted to try.  I still didn't really expect I'd like them, as I am not really into raw tuna, I don't like jack cheese, and brown rice chips sounded boring.  Plus, I'm allergic to avocado, but I knew the ginger guac would be on the side.

The nachos took longer than our other food, but when they arrived, they didn't seem as fresh, which was confusing.

The nachos are an interesting concept, but cheese was rather congealed (and we ate it right away, it came this way), I wasn’t into the brown rice chips as expected, the spicy tuna was just mush, and the aioli was kinda lost amongst everything else.

Basically ... just not my thing.  The others said it was interesting to try, but wouldn’t get again either.

“We don’t have to finish it, and can just get more tempura instead” was uttered, and, the plan that we executed on.  I would not get this again, but I'd love to see an option with taro chips as the base, and option to turn any burrito filling into the toppings instead ... e.g. taro chip base with the Sumo Crunch crab, aioli, cucumbers, crunchies, etc instead?  That sounds fabulous!

Sushi Burritos

For our burrito, we were determined to branch out.  I *always* get the crab and shrimp tempura based Sumo Crunch.  The other local had tried, and enjoyed, all the raw fish options (Geisha's Kiss, Satori, and Latin Ninja), and would gladly get any of those again.  The other guest, who was visiting from out of town, had the cooked beef Cowboy last time we took him to Sushiritto.  If we wanted something new for all of us, that gave us only two options: the Fiery Chicken, or, the vegetarian Buddah Belly.   Given my loathing of chicken, that meant ... vegetarian?  An odd decision, but, we had a friend who got it once before and raved, so, we went for it.
Buddah Belly. $11.
"Japanese eggplant, mochiko mushrooms, julienne carrots, shaved cabbage, kale, ginger guac, and roasted garlic tofu sauce. Dairy-free and nut-free."

To be fair, this isn't a boring vegetarian option.  It includes crispy battered and fried mushrooms (which was a big draw for me), an interesting sounding sauce (roasted garlic tofu?), and other veggies.

I ... really didn't like it.  I had a bite, and didn't want another.  I took another, just for research purposes.  But I really didn't care for it.

No flavors popped, the crispy looking elements weren't crunchy, it was just .... eh.  We all agreed it was boring, not as flavorful as any other Sushiritto burritos, and somehow just quite uninteresting.  We wouldn't get again.

Now I know: stick with my Sumo Crunch!

Update Review, Kearny Street Location, Delivery 2018

I've long liked Sushiritto, and have reviewed it several times before.  But I've always visited in person.

This time, I ordered online, via Caviar, for delivery.  Everything about the experience was, well, flawless.
(L-R, Clockwise): Caballero / Satori / Sumo Crunch. $14.65 / $16.50 / $11.94.
My group of three ordered in advance earlier in the day online on Caviar, with a set delivery time between 5-5:30pm, earlier than we actually wanted to eat, but, we assumed if we set it early, it would have more of a chance of actually reaching us when we wanted it.  We didn't set it too early though, because we didn't want it made hours and hours in advance, and thus soggy.

Caviar does a wonderful job of keeping you informed throughout the process, if you wish.  You can opt in to notifications of when the restaurant receives the order, when the courier arrives to pick it up, and when they are on their way.  You can track the delivery in real-ish time.

We were a few blocks away when I got the message that our courier was on the way.  He pulled up literally as we were walking in, and we were able to just get the food from him before he even got off his bike.  Perfect timing.  And, at 5:09pm, right in our delivery window.  Excellent.

I also made modifications, via special notes in Caviar, asking for a few things, even though it pretty clearly said "no modifications", and, they were accommodated.  Yes!

My companions ordered and split the Caballero (beef) and Satori (yellowtail), but since they had guacamole (like all Sushiritto creations), I didn't try them, as I'm allergic.  They enjoyed them, but the diner who has experienced Sushiritto many times before said he liked them less than his standbys, the tuna based Geisha's Kiss or crab Sumo Crunch.
Sumo Crunch. $11.94.
"Shrimp Tempura, Surimi Crab, Cucumber, Ginger Guac, Red Tempura Flakes, Sriracha Aioli."

I went for the one I always do, the "Sumo Crunch".  There are a few others I want to try (salmon belly!), and I tried to get someone else to split with me (sans guac), but, they preferred to split with each other so they could have the creations unmodified (literally every one comes with it normally).

This one is supposed to have shrimp tempura and surimi crab, which I kept as fillings, but also cucumber and the signature ginger guac.

Sushiritto is pretty clear that they don't do modifications, besides no guac (thank goodness) and "light sauce", but I also tried to have some other changes.  And, they did them!   I was able to eliminate the cucumber (just because I don't really like it), and add additional crunch.

I wanted even more crunch, as it is the "Sumo Crunch" after all, so I asked for lotus chips or Okinawan chips or plantain chips inside, knowing they had these for use in other creations.  I had no idea if they would do this or not, since we ordered online, and I was thrilled that mine showed up with both lotus chips and Okinawan chips inside.  Thank you!

Unlike the ones the others had with the traditional seaweed wrapper on the outside, then rice, and then fillings, mine had the seaweed wrapper on the inside adjacent to the fillings, then rice, and then it was rolled in red tempura flakes for extra crunch and flavor.   Very unique, and it looks a bit like a roll that is coated in roe, except, with tempura bits, which I'm sure is no accident.  The roll was well assembled, didn't fall apart, well cooked sushi rice.

So, my creation was filled with TONS of crab meat, big huge tempura prawns, and fried chips, plus very flavorful spicy sriracha aioli for extra creaminess.

The tempura coating on the prawns was a bit soggy, but I liked the extra crunch from all my extra crispies.  The Okinawan chips were a big oily though, I't stick with just lotus next time.  The sriracha aioli was tasty and flavorful, but there wasn't enough for my tastes.  This was not a problem though, as I ordered more sauces.

I liked this, but I didn't love it nearly as much as past visits.
Diablo Sauce / Teri-Mayonesa / Wasabi Mayo. $1.00 / $0.50. / $0.50.
Sushiritto has two sauces available as sides: Diablo Sauce and the Sriracha Aioli.  I don't know why they don't offer the other sauces as sides, as they clearly have them.  And I wanted to try more sauces!

So, again, not knowing if they would honor it, I put in a request to get two other sauces instead of sriracha aioli, since I already had that in my sushiritto: teri-mayonesa and wasabi mayo.

The top one is "Diablo Sauce", "Sushirrito’s Secret Hot Salsa".  This sauce actually isn't used in any of their creations, but I wanted to try it.   It didn't go with mine, but one diner used it with the beef one.  Very spicy, beware!

On the right is "Teri-Mayonesa", e.g. teriyaki mayonaise.  I loved this one, flavorful and creamy.  I extracted my tempura prawns and dunked them in it for even more mayo goodness.  I'd certainly get a side of this again.

The wasabi mayo was basically what it sounded like.  Fine but very wasabi flavored, which didn't quite go with my ingredients as well.

Update Review, Kearny Street Location, August 2017

It has been years since I last visited Sushirito.  The concept, as a refresher, is simple: sushi, in burrito form.  Perfectly trendy:
"We infuse multi-cultural flavors into every sushi burrito. By blending the premium flavors and healthiness of sushi with the form factor and convenience of burritos, we serve fresh, convenient, large, hand-held sushi burritos."
Since then, Sushirito has flourished.  They have 4 locations in San Francisco now, plus down in Palo Alto and San Jose, but have also recently expanded to New York.  The San Francisco locations are still primarily mid-week lunch places, and the lunchtime lines are still crazy long.

Our visit this time was to the newer (but still several years old) location on Kearny St near Union Square, the only location open on Saturdays, and, at dinner.  We arrived at 6:30pm on a Saturday.  There were only a few other customers dining, and a few who came while we were there, but otherwise it was fairly quiet.

No issues with ordering, staff were pleasant enough, and our sushiritos were quickly assembled to order.

And they were excellent.  Better than I remembered.  I'll gladly return, hopefully, without waiting several years ago next time.
Limited Seating.
There is very little seating at the Kearny Location.  4 small tables with high seating are pushed together (seating for 8 total, we broke them apart into two tables for 4), and a couple small low tables around the perimeter of the room.  Most people get their food to go.

The rolls all come boxed to go, even if you are dining in.  There is no option for a plate.  The boxes do unfold into kinda cool "plates" though, but I failed to get a photo.
Cold Fillings: Veggies, Tamago, Raw Seafood, Herbs, Sauces.
Sushiritos are made to order, Subway/Chipotle style, with a cold well set up with all the pre-cut veggies, raw fish, herbs, dry crunchy ingredients, and sauces.
Hot Fillings: Crispy Chicken Katsu| Oven-baked agave-soy salmon (covered) | Tempura Asparagus | Shrimp Tempura.
Hot items come from a steam tray, which somehow manages to keep the tempura items and fried items crispy.
Sumo Crunch (no guac). $11.
"Shrimp tempura, surimi crab, shaved cabbage, cucumber, ginger guac, red tempura flakes, and sriracha aioli."

I have a confession.  I haven't really been into sushi lately.  Raw fish just hasn't done it for me, for years now.  I wish it did.  I really wish it did.  And I don't understand why I stopped liking sushi.  But, sometime in the past few years, I stopped liking sushi.  So, all the raw seafood rolls featuring yellowtail, tuna, or salmon belly, just weren't appealing.  I also quickly ruled out the beef and crispy chicken katsu options.  Which left me with 4 options, all radically different: Salmon Samba (with oven-baked soy glazed salmon and tempura asparagus), Porkivore (pork belly and chicharrons!), Buddha Belly (vegetarian, with eggplant and mushroom fries), and the Sumo Crunch (tempura shrimp and crab).  I opted for the later, a play on a California roll.

Like all rolls, it was served wrapped in paper, sliced in half.  This form factor, as silly as it sounds, really is remarkably easy to eat.  Like a burrito.  Like a sandwich.  It makes sense, really.

The rolls are also huge.  I guess, like a San Francisco burrito in that way.  And not because they load them up with tons of rice.  Because they are stuffed full of quality ingredients.

Most (maybe all other?) sushirito rolls come with the seaweed on the outside, rice inside, but this one is inside out, with rice on the outside, seaweed under that.  It was coated in red tempura flakes, which I loved.  They were crispy, salty, and looked like roe at first, until I realized what they were.  They made the roll a bit more fun, and I appreciated the crunch.

The insides were even better.  The roll was absolutely stuffed with shredded "crab" (yes, it was surimi).  Soooo much "crab".  It was not seasoned itself, but when combined with the sriracha aioli it was very satisfying, although of course I would prefer real crab.  I did wish my roll had more aioli though, I wanted a bit more creamy goodness.

The tempura shrimp was even better.  The batter was very flavorful, it wasn't oily, the shrimp well coated, and it was somehow still crisp.  Remarkable, really.  Each roll had 3 large tempura shrimp in it, an incredibly generous portion.  I also liked the shrimp with the aioli, again, wishing there was a bit more aioli.  I loved the crunchy texture from the tempura shell, and the chew from the shrimp, they added to the satisfaction of eating the roll.

The cabbage provided a bit of freshness, and, like everything else, went great with the aioli, basically forming slaw.  If Sushirito wanted to carry side dishes, I think a slaw like this would be fantastic.

The only thing I didn't like in my roll was the slices of cucumber.  They were fine, thin slices, but, I don't really care for cucumber.

I had to leave the guacamole out, because I'm allergic to avocado.  Perhaps it would have added the additional creaminess, such that more aioli isn't normally needed?  Luckily for me, this is one of their very few allowed changes.  The menu is very clear: "No substitutions, additions, or modifications other than the listed options allowed."  They mean it.  I couldn't have the guac on the side to give to someone else.  I couldn't add anything in its place.  You certainly couldn't try to make up a roll mixing items from other rolls.  I know they have good reason for this, but, some flexibility would be nice.

Overall, this was wonderful.  The crab, tempura shrimp, cabbage, and aioli combined together beautifully.  The roll was full of textures and flavors.  It was extremely satisfying to eat.  As another dinner put it, "That was just a really complete package".  I agree.

The $11 price was also extremely reasonable for such a large roll (we actually split one, and were both satisfied), even if it has crab stick rather than real crab.

Original Review, March 2013

I have a list of places that I want to check out for lunch, but they are only open M-F, and only during lunch time, so they I rarely get the chance to go, as I'm a spoiled employee who gets served delicious meals at work, and it is hard to justify the time and cost of leaving the office.  However, today there were a bunch of extra people in the office, making for long lines in the cafe, so we decided to venture away and (gasp!) pay for lunch.

We went to Sushirrito, a place that I've had on my radar for quite a while.  Described as the lovechild of sushi and a burrito.  So perfectly San Franciscan!  This sounds gimmicky, for sure, but reviews were decent, and the website claimed they used quality ingredients.  So, we decided to take our chances.

We rounded the corner and immediately saw the line, even though we tried to go slightly off peak, at 1pm.  Uh-oh.  The line was sizable.  And really slow.  It gave us plenty of time to consider our options: two rolls with raw fish (hiramasa or yellowfin tuna), one with cooked salmon, one with cooked crab, or the more ridiculous ones with pork and bacon, chicken kastsu, or soy puffs.  All of the rolls also contained rice, assorted veggies, and fun things like fried cream cheese, lotus chips, or tempura veggies.  And they all had crazy custom sauces, usually creamy.  Wrapped in rice and nori, rolled up like a burrito, and served sliced in half. These things were massive.  They looked like burritos for sure, but, with sushi ingredients.  Exactly as promised.

A lot of Yelpers complained about the prices, $8.50 - 11.50.  I guess compared to a burrito this is pricey, but I thought the price was completely justified.  The rolls, as I mentioned, were huge, and had substantial amounts of fish in them.  If you were to just extract the raw fish, you'd easily have a $10 sashimi platter, so I really don't understand the price complaints.  It isn't a burrito folks, it is sushi!

The rolls were made to order, sorta Subway style, with the workers going assembly line style, starting with one person who prepared the outer nori wrapper and rice, the next who added the protein layer, the next who added the veggies, then next wrapped and sliced, and then finally the cashier rang you up.  Very efficient, with the bottleneck definitely being the cashier.  The ingredients were being sliced up in back and very quickly replenished, so even though the fish and veggies were not sliced immediately to order, they really hadn't been sitting long at all.

Overall, it beat expectations.  It was by no means fantastic sushi.  And it probably wasn't worth the 30 minute wait.  But, the fish was certainly reasonable quality and the flavor combinations were pretty interesting.  And, more amazingly, the concept did work.  While I appreciate the simplicity of sashimi or nigiri, and really enjoy tasting raw, unmodified fish in those forms, I also do love sushi rolls.  I like a simple salmon and scallion roll, but I also love a spicy tuna with mango slices covered in macadamia nuts roll.  These aren't the same thing, and they serve totally different purposes, and this falls into the same category.  If you want to really taste the fish, and you want super high quality fish, this isn't it.  But if you want something fun, portable, easy to eat, and pretty tasty, this isn't a bad choice!

The biggest thing I missed out on from traditional sushi was the soy and wasabi.  There were many flavors built into the rolls given their plethora of ingredients, and particularly with the sauces, but I did want some soy sauce and wasabi to add on.  They also suffered from the same issues that all but the very best burritos have: distribution of ingredients.  Anyone who eats with me regularly knows how obsessed I am with "the perfect bite".  I love nothing more than finding that bite that contains all the right ingredients, in the right balance, to just achieve perfection.  And with most food, you can make these perfect bites.  But burritos/sandwiches/etc are special, and you have to just consume things as presented, which, if the maker is rushed/doesn't care, leads to inconsistent bites.  And these definitely had that issue.

Anyway, I'd go back regularly if it were closer, open better hours, and didn't have such long lines.  But for now, I'll be putting it back on the list, to try again some other day, but I'm not in any rush to do so.

Geisha’s Kiss: Yellowfin Tuna (Hand-Caught), Tamago, Piquillo Peppers, Yuzu Tobiko, Lotus Chips, Cucumber, Avocado, Green Onions, Sesame Seeds, White Soya Sauce.  $10.50.
There was a very generous amount of tuna in the roll.  I was somewhat shocked at how much there was, particularly given all the Yelp complaints on pricing.  And it was all pretty decent.  No strange textures, no stringy fatty bits, just decent cuts of decent fish.  I was pleasantly surprised.  The rice was pretty standard sushi rice, nothing notable, and the nori was crispy and slightly salty.  I absolutely loved the crunch from the lotus chips, but I felt that there weren't enough in the roll.  In the future, I'd ask for more!  The avocado and the sauce added a delightful creaminess and richness.  Sadly, there was barely any tamago, which was a big part of why I chose the roll, as I love tamago (although, I'm not quite sure how good that would have been with the tuna anyway).  The bits that were there were tiny little chunks.  Again, I'd ask for more in the future.  I know, I'm crazy, wanting more of the cheap ingredients and less of the tuna :)  There was also barely any of the other ingredients, which was dissapointing, since I was looking forward to a spicy kick from the piquillo peppers.  It was really quite fun to eat, certainly the easiest sushi I've ever had!

I also had a bite of "The Yakuza": Hiramasa Sashimi (Australian White Fish), Spicy Jicama, Cucumber, Lola Rosa Lettuce, Red Tobiko, Avocado, Green Onions, with Citrus Mojo sauce.  I thought it was a lot better.  The fish wasn't as flavorful as it was just a simple white fish rather than a more intense tuna, but the rest of the flavors, and particularly the sauce, were much more pronounced.  And it tasted a lot fresher and lighter due to the higher percentage of refreshing veggies, like the lettuce, cucumber, and jicama.  I loved the kick from the spicy jicama!
Sushirrito Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails