Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Yes, More Rubio's

A few months ago, I discovered Rubio's, rather by accident, while on a ridiculous mission to try random places that had birthday specials.  Unlike most of my birthday adventures, Rubio's was a success, and I've been back many times since.

This time, I brought Ojan with me, as he hadn't yet experienced it, despite all of my praise.

Since I've reviewed it so many times before, I'll leave out all the general details in this review, and focus on the specifics from this meal.  But like all other times, I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff, and particularly the quality of the food for the price point and location.  Yes, it is possible to get a large chunk of fish, in a dish full of flavor, for <$5, near the Ferry Building.

The staff were even more impressive than usual this time.  As on all my other visits, even though we were given a pager, the food was delivered to us at our table.  But more surprising was the fact that one of the staff members was circulating the room, checking in on every table, and even bussing them as people finished food.  It was almost like full table service, but in a fast casual restaurant.  Totally crazy.

The two tacos we got on this visit were actually my least favorites, which was disappointing  but I'll definitely still be going back.
Blackened Mango Habanero Mahi Mahi Taco, Blackened Salmon Taco, No Fried Pinto Beans, Chips.  $8.39.
Ojan picked the salmon taco, blackened style.  Described as "Sustainable Atlantic salmon, grilled or house blackened on an authentic comal with a special garlic marinade. Topped with fire-roasted corn with a pinch of ancho chile, our creamy chipotle sauce, cilantro/onion and red and green cabbage. Served on a warm stone-ground corn tortilla and garnished with a slice of lime."

Since the salmon was the one type of seafood I hadn't yet tried at Rubio's, I of course demanded a bite. The salmon was tender, a large piece, but it was fishy.  I can't stand fishy salmon.  A big disappointment  as all of the other seafood I've had at Rubio's has always been surprisingly fresh tasting, and never fishy.

For my taco, I picked the one I remembered most fondly from all my previous visits: the Mango Habanero Mahi Mahi Taco.  Described as "Pacific mahi mahi, a mild, white fish, seasoned in olive oil and garlic or house blackened then grilled on an authentic comal and topped with mango pineapple salsa, a smoky red chile sauce made with guajillo, ancho and red jalapeƱo chiles, along with crema and serrano cabbage slaw. Served on a warm flour tortilla and garnished with a slice of lime."

On my previous visit, I got it regular, but this time, I went for the blackened, since I'd loved the blackened seasoning when I had it on a talapia taco on another visit.  Like before, the mahi was nicely prepared, a large chunk.  But the blackening seasoning completely took over and overwhelmed the taco.  I didn't get to taste any of the amazing serrano cabbage slaw that I'd loved so much the last time.  The mango and pineapple salsa was still sweet and tasty, and I loved the size of the chunks of the fruit, but overall, this was one of the least successful tacos I've had there.  It was also really watery, dripping with something, I'm not entirely sure what.  I wouldn't get it this way again.

The pinto beans were hot, fresh, and creamy.  I'm not a bean lover, but I could appreciate the quality.

The chips were pretty generic, but I enjoyed them a few with salsas from the salsa bar.
Churro.  $1.50.
The one part of the menu I hadn't yet explored at Rubio's was the dessert.  They have a single option: a churro.  Described as: "Cinnamon-sugar pastry, served warm."

I was excited to try it, as I love sweets, and I've been craving a donut quite a bit lately, and thought this would satisfy me.

It wasn't very good.  It seemed far too fried, the entire thing incredibly crispy.  It had tons of cinnamon and sugar on it, which, I love cinnamon and sugar, but it was just too much.  But it was easily banged off.  But, nothing could save it from being just a crispy stick of fry.  Would not order again.
Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails