Sunday, August 03, 2014

Unreal Candy

Unreal is a company that takes classic chocolate junk foods, and "unjunks" them.
"UNREAL reinvented your favorite candy with 100% real ingredients and none of the junk. No corn syrup, preservatives, GMOs, gluten and excess sugar. Instead, they use only the good stuff like real mike chocolate, caramel, peanut butter and cane sugar."
They have picked all the heavy hitters and make their own version of M&Ms ("chocolate gems"), Snickers, Milky Way ("Chocolate Caramel Nougat Bar"), and of course, Peanut Butter Cups (and almond butter cups, and crispy versions, and dark chocolate versions ...).

They do certainly taste more real.  And the chocolate is much better quality.  But, overall, I don't find myself picking them over the classics.  Sometimes, classics are just that.
Peanut Butter Cups (Milk Chocolate).
As you can guess, this is the Unreal version of Reese's peanut butter cups.

The milk chocolate was smooth, the filling substantial.  There is more peanut butter filling in here than in Reese's.  And, actual peanuts.  You could really taste the peanuts, rather than just sugar and corn syrup.

But, I didn't love them.  Not sure why, at some level, I think they somehow tasted too healthy?  I'll have to try again when I'm in a different mood.
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.
"Peanut buttery, dark chocolate perfection! Creamy peanut butter and melt-in-your-mouth dark chocolate combine for a truly delectable treat."

They also make a dark chocolate version.

Again, I could tell the chocolate was higher quality, although it was still a pretty sweet dark chocolate.  Smooth though.  

And again, a lot more filling than a traditional peanut butter cup, and, again, too ... healthy tasting.  It wasn't as sweet, it wasn't as interesting.

I wanted to like this, as I like chocolate and peanut butter together so much, but, alas, it just wasn't right for me.
Dark Chocolate Crispy Peanut Butter Cup.
"Peanut Butter Cup perfection with a happy crunch of quinoa! Unreal Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups with Crispy Quinoa combine the perfect mix of textures in one satisfying treat -- with creamy peanut butter melt-in-your-mouth dark chocolate and crunchy toasted quinoa."

Next, the crispy version.

Still decent dark chocolate, more peanut filling than a standard peanut butter cup, but, I just don’t care for this peanut butter.  It … isn’t decadent enough.

The crispy factor comes from … quinoa.  I kinda laughed when I saw that.  Crispy chocolate bars usually use rice, so, of course, how do you healthy it up?  Quinoa!  The crunch was a nice addition, and it didn’t actually taste like quinoa, so this was fine.

But still, this brand just isn’t for me.  I guess I like unhealthy candy.
Chocolate Caramel Nougat Bar.
Next I tried the "Chocolate Caramel Nougat Bar", or, their version of a Milky Way.

The nougat was very dense, not fluffy and marshmallowy like a Milky Way.  The caramel was very thick, I would have preferred runnier.  The chocolate was unremarkable, but far better than Mars.

Sadly, I preferred the classic Milky Way, just because I love their fluffy nougat so much more, but Unreal certainly wins on chocolate quality.  Others in the group thought this was not as sweet as Milky Way, and preferred it.

This item has been discontinued.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails