Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Uncle Toby's

If you go to Australia, and you ever eat any kind of oats or cereal, chances are high you will encounter Uncle Toby's.  Traditional, rolled, quick oats, in blends, in sachets, in cups.  Cold cereals, including, basic Weeties and, um, Cheerios?  How are those an Uncle Toby's product, not General Mills?  Grab n go snacks like oat balls, oatslices, muesli bars, and more.  Even oat milk.  Yup, Uncle Toby's has the oat-related market down.

I know I've had plenty of the cereals at hotel breakfast buffets over the years, but alas, I never took notes or photos on them.

Muesli Bars

"Uncle Tobys Muesli Bars, for tasty and wholesome energy on-the-go We're proud to bring you Australia’s largest range of 4 out of 5 Health Star Rating muesli bars.

When you need energy to power through your day, reach for an Uncle Tobys Muesli Bar. They're made with 100% Australian oats, with no artificial colours or flavours, so they're a nutritious and great-tasting way to fuel you on your journey to greatness."

Uncle Toby's makes a lot of bars.  Even within the most basic category, muesli bars, they have 3 styles: chewy, crunchy, or yoghurt topps (yes, this is how they spell it.  No, that is not normal Australian).  These sound like granola bars to me, just, Australianized. Oh, a line of drizzled ones.

I didn't bother try the chewy or crunchy, since I never really want granola bars, but the yoghurt ones sounded interesting at least.  Yogurt Topps are available in 5 flavors: Mango and Passionfruit, Raspberry, Strawberry, Apricot, and Honeycomb.

Apricot Yoghurt Topps Muesli Bar.
I really wanted to find the honeycomb flavor, but alas, I did not, so I opted for my second choice: apricot.

Yes, it was basically a granola bar, made with Uncle Tobys rolled oats as the base, with little bits of dried apricot (and apple) inside, coated in a "yoghurt compound", and topped with coconut.

I figured I'd try a bite and pass it on to my traveling companion.  Just a granola bar, right?

Well, it was (honestly, not sure what classified this as muesli rather than granola), but it was really quite enjoyable, and I never ended up sharing.

The bar was a soft style, nicely sweetened.  I loved the bits of apricot.  The flavor came through loud and clear and the pieces of fruit added a nice chew.

The yoghurt coating wasn't as questionable as many are.  Sure, it was made from all sorts of odd ingredients, but it was smooth and creamy, and the sweetness was quite pleasant.

I wasn't expecting the shredded coconut on the outside, and I ended up really liking that too, again, good flavor that you could really taste, and added texture.

So, overall?  Yes, a granola bar, but a really good one.  It was sweet, it was chewy, it had creamy coating, and it perfectly satisfied me.

****.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails