Friday, January 19, 2018

Toasted Mallow Gourmet Marshmallows

Gourmet marshmallow cream.  Yup, its a thing.  Remember how I used to say fancy marshmallows were going to be the next cupcake?  Well, this takes it up a notch.

Toasted Mallow is a pioneer in the space, offering up about 35 varieties of fancy marshmallow treats.  Some are "naked" (just gourmet hand cut marshmallows in a slew of flavors), others are stuffed, others are "chocolated" (covered in chocolate and dunked in toppings), etc.  They come in flavors like cookie butter.  Fruity pebbles.  Salted caramel.  #allTheTrends  And then there is the marshmallow whip, also available in trendy flavors like "birthday cake" with rainbow sprinkles galore.  None use corn syrup.  All the base marshmallows are gluten-free.

I mock slightly, but, I'll admit, I do love fancy marshmallows, and the marshmallow cream sounded pretty awesome.   I have certainly been known to eat marshmallow Fluff straight from the jar, by the spoonful (often alternating with spoonfuls of peanut butter, you know, for balance).  A more wholesome version, with mix-ins built in, sounded great.
Cookie Dough Marshmallow Whip.
"Handcrafted edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is hand-piped and layered with our popular handcrafted vanilla bean marshmallow whip is perfect to eat it by the spoonful! Made daily, our whipped marshmallow fluff is a favorite amongst our customers who love cookie dough and is a true marshmallow lover."

This sounded amazing.  Even if I don't really like cookies, I do like cookie dough.

Put it together, give it to me in a jar (totally a vice of mine ... things in jars/pints/etc I just tend to get totally addicted to.  Ice cream by the pint, snacks I store in jars, you name it.  I like it 100x more if it comes from a jar rather than a bag.  And yes I know this is crazy, and no I can't explain it), and, well, this sounded amazing.

Sadly, it wasn't.
Marshmallow Whip: Top.
I eagerly opened my jar, spoon in hand.

The top layer was the marshmallow whip.  It was, well, very sweet.  Very, very sweet.  I'm sure it was actually made from better ingredients than Fluff, but, I didn't like it as much.  I didn't find myself wanting to eat more and more by the spoonful.

It took some pushing aside of the marshmallow, and many more bites of it than I really wanted, to reach the promised cookie dough.  The layers were thick.

The cookie dough, unfortunately, didn't make me any happier.  It wasn't soft, it was rather dry, and it wasn't really butery.  Again, I felt no desire to eat more of it.

I tried both layers a few other times, thinking maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, maybe I just needed it alongside a cup of coffee, maybe this, maybe that, but, I never liked it.
Cookie Dough Cookies.
I painstakingly extracted all the marshmallow whip and used it to make rice crispie treats, in place of fluff/marshmallows, which worked fine.

I still had the cookie dough left though, cookie dough that was coated with sticky marshmallow, so I tried just baking it as if it was cookies.

The resulting cookies were actually pretty interesting.  The marshmallow hardened and gave a cool effect, kinda chewy yet soft and fluffy like a macaroon.  The cookies baked fine, I tried different sizes to get different results, some crispier, some softer.  But still, I wasn't that into the cookie themselves.

Overall, a fun product, certainly, but it never ended up being the one for me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails