Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Let's Do Yum Cha Food Truck, Sydney

When in Sydney, go to the food trucks?  Yeah, not my normal agenda, but  I found Let's Do Yum Cha at a winter festival.  It was one of several trucks, and, like seemingly everyone else, I was drawn in by the idea of yum cha (dim sum to you Americans ...).

I love a good dumpling, and Sydney has so much amazing asian food, I was pretty hopeful that this random truck would deliver.  Yum cha seems like a good fit for a truck actually, as steam baskets are all you need, and these could work well, and hold things easily for service.

Alas, I didn't like ... anything.  (Luckily, I found an amazing truck soon after, Vejoes, for, seriously, vegetarian cuisine that rocked my world).
Let's Do Yum Cha Truck Line.
It had the longest lines, no question.  I sadly joined the line, with high hopes.  Spoiler: it was not worth this wait, nor, any wait.

Orders were taken from behind the counter, where each thing you asked for was served up, all on the same plate, fetched from steam baskets on the counter.  It was rather comical watching people who had really large orders have literally everything just piled on top of each other onto a plate.  A bit odd service really.
Menu.
The menu was pictures on the side of the truck, a bit hard to see with the crowds, you had to wait until you were ready to order basically.

The lineup was: BBQ pork buns, custard buns, vegetarian spring rolls, prawn & chive dumplings, vegetarian dumplings, pork dim sum.

I planned to get most of the savories, skipping only the veggie spring rolls because I assumed fried food would not be great not fresh, but alas, they were out of the prawn & chive dumplings, and when I saw the pork dim sum I opted against it, they were strangely huge, and just didn't look great.

I wish I had just skipped it all.
Vegetarian dumpling, BBQ pork bun, custard bun.
I started with the vegetarian dumpling.  It was fairly large as well, but I hoped this just meant it was handmade.  The wrapper was incredibly thick.  On the plus side, it didn't fall apart.  But it was just entirely too much unremarkable dough.  The filling was minced veggies, really quite flavorless.  Just a nondescript mass of chopped stuff.  I didn't care for it at all.  My least favorite.

Next, the BBQ pork bun.  Also not great.  On the plus side, it wasn't soggy, as can happen when sitting in steam baskets for too long.  On the minus, the dough was totally boring, again flavorless, it didn't have the touch of sweetness I usually associate with these kind of buns.  The BBQ pork filling inside was not generous at all, only a few little bits.  On the plus side, the pork wasn't chewy.  On the minus?  Yeah, it tasted like nothing, even though there was sauce.  I think my favorite piece though, but I didn't even really want to finish it.

Moving on.  The sweet item was a custard bun.  It was cute.  It had eyes.  It was also fascinating, as I bit into it, molten custard filling came pouring out.  It was generously stuffed.  It was hot.  It was fresh.  It was unique.  But ... it was far, far, far too sweet.  I'm a girl who loves sweets, but I just didn't like it at all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails