Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Yank Sing

Update Review, July 2023

Last November, I ordered from Yank Sing for delivery, and was horribly disappointed, as you may have read about then (or just scroll down!).  9 months later though, I was craving dim sum again, so I gave it another try.  After all, I really did use to like the place ...

Overall, I was let down, but not as dramatically.  I think it will be a while before I give it another try.
Condiments.
When I ordered online, there was an option to add condiments and utensils, which I did, for two.  This meant a napkin and fork each (no chop sticks, surprisingly ...), along with one each of a packet of soy sauce, red vinegar, and hot sauce.

I also had to laugh, or perhaps be impressed by, the fact that every one of my food items came in a different style of container.  I had a white plastic square clam shell with vents in it for one item, a black plastic with clear top square clam shell without vents for another, and two styles of round plastic containers/bowls for others.  They clearly put thought into packaging to best present the food, and also, attempt to keep it properly crispy or moist.
Turnip Cake. $6.50.
I'm pretty sure I've never had the turnip cake from Yank Sing before.  In fact, I don't think I've had turnip cake more than 2-3 times ever in my life, an item only discovered right before the pandemic when I was in Singapore, and I later got once in SF from Hong Kong Clay Pot restaurant in Chinatown.  I'm not sure why no one I've ever been to dim sum or Chinese food has never ordered it before!  Probably because many Americans don't like turnips, and assume it will taste like what they know as turnips?  If you are unfamiliar, it does not ...  as it is made with radish, not turnip (and is called "carrot cake" in Singapore, which is even more confusing if you aren't familiar!).  But, the base is shredded radish (diakon) and rice flour, which creates the somewhat glutinous soft cake, that is then pan fried to be lightly crispy on the outside.  It is filled with other bits of yumminess inside, usually something fishy.

This version was decent.  It was lightly crispy on the outside, soft inside.  A bit greasy for my taste. Even though I knew it would be pan fried, this was pretty saturated with oil.  It had a nice amount of funk to it from the chewy bits of whatever mystery protein was in it (was it something seafood? Pork? I'm truly not sure).  Best dipped into a combination of vinegar and soy sauce.

Overall, fine, not remarkable, but good enough.  I wouldn't order again though.  ***.

The portion was large, 3 big slices, for $6.50.  While Yank Sing is known for being pricey, this seemed pretty reasonable.
Pork and Chive Dumpling Soup. $14.55.
"6 pc dumplings with a pork, chive & napa cabbage filling, served with a clear broth and vinegar on the side."

This was a really strange order on my part, not something I've ever had before from Yank Sing, nor something I'd ever heard anything about.  But I was really craving pork (not seafood) dumplings, and I thought they might hold up better in soup form, rather than the pork potstickers or pork/shrimp suimai (sadly, the actual soup dumplings aren't available for takeout).   The dish arrived really well packaged, with the dumplings in a big round ramen style bowl, the vinegar taped on top, and the broth separate on the side in a regular deli container.

The broth was fairly boring, just a light broth, perhaps chicken, perhaps veggie, it didn't have any particularly distinct flavor.  I did like that it wasn't too rich.  Salt level was nice.  Basic comforting clear broth.

The dumplings were decent.  They had a generous mound of pork filling that was flavorful from the addition of the chives and cabbage.  The wrappers were average thickness.  None were burst open.  There was green onion to garnish the dish with as well in the bowl.

And finally, the red vinegar, which I think was the same as came in my condiments bag.  I added a bit to round out the flavor, but also ended up adding some soy sauce too.

Overall, this was all fine, but I think I likely would have liked the regular dumplings better, and, since they weren't actually packaged in the soup, there wouldn't be a difference in how well they held up.  I don't think I'd get this again, but it wasn't bad, just, boring.  ***.

Yank Sing also makes noodle soup, with either shrimp wontons or these same pork and chive dumplings, and a choice of egg or rice noodles.  Those come with only 4 dumplings/wontons, compared to this with 6, but obviously also has the noodles (and additional veggies).  This did seem a bit pricey, as something like the pork and shrimp sui mai are $7 for 4, and it doesn't seem like broth should be as expensive as dumplings?
BBQ Pork Fried Rice. $5.95.
If you've read my blog for a while, you know I don't really eat much rice.  Rice in rice pudding?  Absolutely.  Crispy fried rice crunchies on top of a salad at Sweetgreen?  Sure.  But, a pile of white rice (or brown, or purple, or any for that matter) with a meal?  Nope.  I just generally don't particularly like it, but also, I'd rather fill my stomach space with other things.  Even saucy Thai or Indian curries I don't generally use rice with, I'll use naan to lap up some sauce, or frankly, just lick my plate.  I'm just a rice girl.

But, I fairly recently discovered rice I do actually like: the chicken rice at Rooster & Rice.  Always so fragrant and flavorful, and, if I throw it into my panini press while I make a salad for lunch, it makes for an awesome crispy topping.  That's pretty much the only savory rice I have liked in ... well, many years.  Probably the last time I liked savory rice was in my Rice-A-Roni days.  My recent enjoyment of the Rooster & Rice rice inspired me to throw a fried rice on my order at last minute.  Yank Sing has only one kind of fried rice, BBQ pork, which sounded fine to me.

The rice was ... fairly boring.  It was nicely moist, not clumped together, etc, but, it was just not flavorful at all.  It also was essentially blonde, and didn't really seem to have been fried.  It did have some bits of egg and green onion, but, neither of those elements really added any flavor.  It was desperately under-seasoned.  I definitely expected more from it.

That said, the little bits of bbq pork were very good.  They were flavorful, savory, salty, and nicely chewy.  I really enjoyed the bits of bbq pork.  They made me wish I'd gotten a bbq pork bun instead, even though I've never found Yank Sing's version to be that great.

So, ** boring rice, **** bbq pork, I'll say **+ overall, and not something I'd get again.  Portion was large.

Update Review, November 2022

What ... happened to Yank Sing?

Really, I'm fairly confused.  When I first moved to the Bay Area, going to dim sum at Yank Sing (yes, long wait and all), was a big part of my "experience".  Yes, it was always more expensive than it should be, and yes it was always good but not remarkable, but, it was easy, and a great group activity.  I went frequently.  It was always consistent, reliable, just, pricey.  After a few years, I stopped going as friends scattered around the city and didn't come nearby as much, and I grew sick of the crowds and prices.  I did have catering from Yank Sing a few times in the past few years, and even the catering was actually pretty good.

So one evening, when I was craving dumplings and buns, I decided to order Yank Sing delivery.  And yes, I said "evening", not daytime - Yank Sing is now open for takeout and delivery only, not dine in, in the evenings, something they introduced during Covid lockdown, presumably to get more business.

On the plus side, it was easy to order on Door Dash, and my order was ready quickly, and delivered shockingly fast.  That said, I think they just have it all premade, and thus why they have a takeout only model in the evenings.  I frequently see the menu start depleting with sold out items fairly early in the evening, and it doesn't replenish until the next day.  I think that may explain my less than stellar experience.

Side note: Stuck doing a lot of takeout and delivery these days? Want to try some free food and new pickup or delivery services?  Here are some codes for free money!

  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Door Dash ($15 off, $5 each of your first 3 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Caviar ($20 off, $10 off your first 2 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Ritual ($6 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Delivery.com ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Grub Hub ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Seamless ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Allset ($5 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Uber Eats ($20 off - use code eats-lejw5 at checkout) [ Pickup or delivery ]
Takeout.
My items came with no condiments, nor utensils, even though I had requested them on Door Dash (it was an option).  Luckily, I had some dumpling sauce at home left over from Ramenwell.
Snow Pea Shoots Dumpling $7.20.
Back in the day, the snow pea shoot dumplings were always *my* dumplings.  These were my favorite piece, every single time I went to Yank Sing.  No, I'm not vegetarian, and I enjoyed all the seafood and pork dim sum as well, but, the top prize, every time, always went to the snow pea shoot dumplings.  They were also the only dumplings that came as just a pair, rather than 4, and were quite pricey pieces.  And I always insisted on an order just for myself.  I adored these.

I wish I could say I adored them this time.  Or, quite frankly, that I even liked them.  The dumplings were well made, and well stuffed, and the wrappers were fine (although a bit thick), but it was the filling that was just, well, not good at all.  It was chopped mush, entirely unseasoned.  Where was the vibrant, juicy, fresh snow pea shoot filling that I loved so much?  Why was it just a pile of mush?  I'm not sure if these had been made far in advance, if the filling had been left on a stovetop too long, if someone forgot to season them ... I don't know what happened, but the result was something I didn't even want to eat.  I salvaged the wrappers and dunked them in flavorful dipping sauce I had, and tossed the really, truly untasty fillings. *.
Steamed Bbq Pork Bun (2 Pc). $7.
The pork buns fared better.  The bun was soft, fresh enough, nice slight crust on it.  Average really, no better nor worse than what you can get just about anywhere (including hotel breakfast buffets ...).
Steamed BBQ Pork Bun: Inside.
Inside was decent quality chopped bbq pork, and lots of sweet sauce.  These are definitely a saucy style, and definitely sweet.  Again, a decent item, but not anything special.  ***.

Update Review, October 2019

I've reviewed Yank Sing only once before, just for catering, and was amazed that I've never written a formal review.  Yank Sing was formative to my early days in San Francisco, long waits, lazy weekends with friends eating way too much dim sum.  Such fond memories.

So whenever Yank Sing shows up as the caterer for an event I'm at ... I go running.
Catering Feast.
I eagerly loaded up a plate.
Pile of Goodness.
Yes, I took some of everything: chicken chow mein, bbq pork buns, potstickers, spring rolls, spinach dumplings, shrimp dumplings, sesame balls ...   I was famished!  (Ok, ok, and I was sharing my platter with my co-worker).

The shrimp dumpling, spring roll, pot sticker, and sesame balls were definitely the top four, and I'd gladly have any again.   The chicken chow mein was rather mediocre, just not special in any way, although it had generous chunks of chicken.

Steamed BBQ Pork Bun
"A fluffy bread bun stuffed with nuggets of honey-glazed BBQ pork."

The bbq pork buns are usually a highlight for me, but I found this just ... ok.  The dough was soft, the filling juicy and bbq'ed, but ... it was just ok.  Nothing above average.

Chicken Spring Roll
"Cantonese spring rolls filled with a wok-cooked mixture of hand-cut julienned chicken, cabbage, winter bamboo shoot tips and scallions."

I was really pleased with the spring roll though, a surprise to me, but it was soooo crispy, oily in the right ways, and the filling was flavorful.  I couldn't even tell it was chicken (a good thing for me).
Spinach Dumpling (V).
"Fresh vegetable filling of hand-chopped spinach, water chestnuts, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots, in a natural chive juice colored dumpling."

I remembered not liking this before, but, I wanted to give it another try.

I again ... hated it.  I honestly don't know what it is, but there is something in the flavor, even of the wrapper, that I just can't stand.

I think it is well made though, generously stuffed, well minced filling, and soft but slightly chewy wrapper.  I just ... hate it.
Pork Potsticker.
"Northern Chinese style dumplings with a minced pork, Napa cabbage, scallions, ginger, and toasted sesame oil filling, steamed in a wok, then shallow-pan-fried." 

The pork potsticker was again quite good.  Not life changing, but a great execution - crispy exterior,  well seasoned juicy moist pork interior.  I enjoyed.
Shrimp Dumpling.
"Succulent shrimp embedded with crunchy sweet winter bamboo shoot tips and fashioned into a bonnet."

I haven't reviewed this one before, but it was a big hit for me this time.

I was shocked by just how chock full of shrimp it was.  No fishy quality, just juicy, well, yes, "succulent" shrimp inside.  Exactly as promised.

My favorite piece this day.
Sesame Ball.
"Light sticky rice-flour balls stuffed with sweet lotus seed puree, rolled in sesame seeds deep-fried until golden brown and crusty. "

The sweet option I usually go for at Yank Sing is the coconut cream roll, or sometimes the soft sweet buns or egg custard tarts, so I don't have the sesame balls often, unless I'm with a group and we can get a bunch of things.  Always something I like, but not my top choice.

I quite enjoyed it though - perfectly crispy fried exterior, delightfully chewy mochi like wrapper, and a small amount of filling inside.

Original Review, September 2018

I don't understand how I've never reviewed Yank Sing before.

For background, Yank Sing is basically *the* place for dim sum in San Francisco if you don't want to venture to the Richmond.  Its also significantly more expensive than dim sum usually is, and always causes me to take a pause when I see the prices.  That said, it is consistent, you can make reservations (!), and, well, they do use quality ingredients, and the seafood offerings in particular are impressive.

Yank Sing is the first place I ever had dim sum, way back when I moved to the Bay Area and my culinary horizons expanded.  We used to go regularly for brunch, always with a group, and always feasted.  I've since had dim sum around the world (like the beautiful unique creations at Lulu and Yum Yum in Sydney, in breakfast buffets at hotels like the Westin in Tokyo or airline lounge buffets like Cathay's in Hong Kong, on flights like Cathay Pacific Business Class flights where it wasn't great, and First Class wasn't much better, and even from food trucks like Let's Do Yum Cha).  I've safely had my share of dim sum by this point.

Anyway, I don't know how I've never reviewed Yank Sing.  I don't go often now, but I still have visited since I started a blog, likely just not taking notes and reviewing since I was with a group.  I usually dine in, always with a group since items come in sharing portions.  It is a standard setup at the restaurant, you order tea from a server, then items come through the room on carts, you gesture if you want something, you feast.

Yank Sing has two locations in San Francisco, both downtown.  They also have a takeout place that I've also ordered from a few times, when I haven't felt like dealing with the crowds, or, when I just want a few items and don't have a group.

But this review is of the group take out experience, catering.  Never a restaurant's place to shine, but, Yank Sing still did pull off a reliable meal.  It made me want to go back in person after a bit of a hiatus!
Pork Potsticker.
"Northern Chinese style dumplings with a minced pork, Napa cabbage, scallions, ginger, and toasted sesame oil filling, steamed in a wok, and then shallow pan fried." 

I went to Yank Sing for years before ever having a potsticker there.  I have no idea why.  We all always weren't interested.

And then one time, I was there with a huge group, and someone ordered them.  I thought they were crazy, but then I had one, and I recall loving it.

So I was thrilled when the catered event had the potstickers!
Pork Potsticker.
Yank Sing gets all the elements of the pot sticker right.

The wrapper is the right thickness, and the sear on one side perfect and crisp.  I love how well they get them crisped up, without feeling oily.  The sear was better on the ones at the otherwise not good Dumpling Depot in Sunnyvale, but these were better overall.

Inside is generously stuffed with a ball of minced pork with good flavor from the cabbage, scallions, and ginger.  The filling is a bit mushy for my taste, but otherwise, is fine, not too porky.

A solid potsticker, not quite as memorable as that first time I had one, but still, good.  My third favorite item.
Pork and Shrimp Siu Mye.
"Diced pork and shrimp filling, hand-wrapped in fresh pasta skin and hand-formed into a fluted 'basket'".

Pretty much every time we go to dim sum, this piece gets ordered. I've never thought it was the best piece, nor the worst piece, but definitely one always worth getting.

Very classic siu mye, with pork/shrimp/chives inside.
Pork and Shrimp Siu Mye.
But I adored the shrimp siu mye this time.

The wrapper was my favorite of the assortment of dim sum I had, a slight chew to it.  The filling was generous, juicy, and just loaded with big chunks of shrimp.  I didn't actually taste any pork, but, I think there was some ground with the other goodies.

My favorite piece from this visit.
Scallop Siu Mye.
I don't think I had ever had this one before!

It was labelled as scallop siu mye, but, certainly not the shape of a siu mye ... it didn't have an open top?
Scallop Siu Mye.
I think it might have been the seafood and chive dumpling instead, as, you can see, it had lots of green inside too!

But really what was inside was a huge juicy scallop.  If I thought the shrimp sui mye was loaded with shrimp, this was even more so.  Tons of protein in this one!  The scallop was fine, not particularly notable, but, fine.  Which was surprising given that the majority of this item *was* scallop, I expected to taste it more.

A decent dumpling, one I'd consider getting again since I do love scallops, but, the scallop didn't really present itself how I'd like.
Spinach Dumpling (Vegetarian).
"Fresh vegetable filling of hand chopped spinach, water chestnuts, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, and bamboo shoots in a natural chive juice colored dumpling." 

I had a vague memory of trying this years ago when I dined with vegetarians and we had *all* the vegetarian items, and I remembered not liking it, but, I still tried it again.

And, yup, not my thing.

The shape is more like a large tortellini, and the wrapper a bit thicker than most other offerings, in not a good way, as it dominated.  Green from chive juice, but you don't taste it.  Eh to the wrapper.

The filling I didn't care for either, the crunch from the bits of water chestnut was nice, but otherwise, the flavor of the spinach didn't do it for me.

One of my least favorites, and I don't want to try these again!
Mushroom Dumpling (Vegetarian)
My absolute favorite piece of dim sum from Yank Sing is a vegetarian item.  No question.  I really truly adore their snow pea shoots dumplings.  These at least looked similar, the same shape and size, and I do like mushrooms, so I gave them a try.

The wrapper was good, nicely steamed, not too thick, and it was well formed.
Mushroom Dumpling: Inside.
But the inside wasn't for me.  The texture of the chopped slimy mushrooms, and the overall flavor ... eh.

Probably my second to least favorite piece they serve (after the spinach one!).
Steamed BBQ Pork Bun.
"A fluffy bread bun stuffed with nuggets of honey glazed BBQ pork. "

Yank Sing's steamed BBQ pork buns are always reliable.

Huge, fluffy, slightly sweet bun, chopped up bbq pork inside.  The bbq pork is fine, decent quality pork, decent flavor bbq, not too sweet, nicely coated pieces.  I don't adore it, I've had bbq filling I like better, but this is a decent version.

Solid, reliable, but not, "OMG great".
Egg Custard Tart.
"Velvety smooth and sweet egg custard in a flaky pastry tart shell. "

Yank Sing makes a fine egg custard tart.  Flaky shell, shiny top, well set egg custard, slightly sweet.  Best warm, no question.

It is a fairly standard offering, not remarkable in any way, but reliable if you are in the mood.

I personally adore some of their other desserts though, like the coconut cream rolls, so, the egg custard is always just "ok" to me.
Yank Sing Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails