Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Trailblazer Tavern

Michael Mina is chef who I learned about early on in my time exploring San Francisco's dining scene, when I went to his flagship restaurant (back when it was on Union Square), and loved it.  Sadly, the newer location let me down in 2012, as did the Farewell to Foie Gras dinner we attended there later that year.

Still, I've kept an eye on Micheal Mina as he's opened a slew of different concepts around town, including a wine bar, RN74, which has since closed and changed concepts, but I really was impressed when I attended several special events there (swoon, that butterscotch pudding, still memorable!).  I've also attended a number of food festivals with goodies from Pabu and Ramen Bar, his Japanese concepts, and loved the addicting spin on spicy soy cured deviled eggs, topped with crispy ramen, and some classic hand rolls and bubble tea.

His restaurant portfolio is fairly huge at this point, with 10 in the Bay Area alone, plus locations in Hawaii, Seattle, Boston, Pheonix, Washington DC, Chicago, Houston, Miami, Nashville, Los Angeles, San Diego ... and then internationally in Dubai.

Anyway.  Why do I tell you all this?  Because Micheal Mina is the restauranteur behind Trailblazer Tavern, newly opened in San Francisco this year, and honestly the most exciting sounding concept of his so far: Hawaiian!  He teamed up with two James Beard nominated Hawaiian chefs to open a high concept Hawaiian restaurant, nearby my office.

I've wanted to go basically since I saw the first menus published, not only for the desserts (which, ZOMG, sound amazing, such as a haupia tapioa pudding with dragonfruit that I want to try *right now*), but also for the savory (think: maitake mushroom tempura with yuzu mousseline, dungeness crab lumpia, miso glazed butterfish ...   So when a co-worker came to me asking for a lunch recommendation for a team lunch, I put Trailblazer at the top of my recommendations list, of course with the caveat that I hadn't yet been myself.  I may have secretly planned to change teams before their lunch date arrived, but, alas, that plan didn't work out.

However, I didn't miss out entirely.  Because ...
#leftovers
Yup, they brought me their leftovers!

Now, of course this isn't what I would have ordered exactly, and it wasn't fresh food.  I can't pretend otherwise.  I won't pretend otherwise.  But I will tell you, that even the *leftovers* were delicious, and everyone who attended the lunch raved about it.

They brought me poke (which, sadly had avocado on it so I couldn't try it), fries, and spam, and I was thrilled with everything I had.  I absolutely cannot wait to go myself.
S.P.A.M. MUSUBI. $15.
"Mochi-Crusted Smoked Pork Arabiki Meatloaf."

Fanciest spam musubi ever!

I was pleased that they brought me a bunch of what is basically the signature dish, or at least the most Instagrammed: the SPAM Musubi.

Of course the "spam" is homemade pork sausage loaf.  That you'd expect given the chefs involved.  But rather than being served on a block of rice, it ... is coated in mochi tempura.  And a little fried quail egg is perched on top for good measure (and Instagram worthiness).

As one who doesn't really eat rice generally (besides rice pudding), this was a glorious innovation.  And I love tempura, so, this was all awesome to me.  I loved the crunch and the glutinous texture from the mochi crust.

The "spam" was great too, a thin grilled slice of clearly high quality processed pork product, super juicy.  I love things like bologna, breakfast sausage, and mortadella, so this was right up my alley.

I didn't need the quail egg, or want it really, but I see how it made the dish even more novel.

The best part, besides the novelty and quality components, was the seasoning and spices.  It was drizzled with a flavorful sauce, and definitely had my favorite condiment of all time (furikake) all over it.

A very fun item, worth a try, and they all loved it.
TOGARASHI-GARLIC FRIES. $6.
They also brought me their leftover fries.

I wanted to try one right away, even though they were cold and likely soggy.  And ... they were even delicious this way!  The togarashi coating was spicy, the fries were actually fairly crispy.  I could tell that these would be amazing fresh.

I reheated some in the toaster oven, dunked them in my own sauce, and loved them.  Really loved them.  Leftover fries.

These are served on the side with sandwiches at lunch, or are available during Happy Hour as a small plate with furikake aioli to dunk them in (!).  I wish I had that aioli, but I made due with leftover mustard sauce from Wahlburgers, actually.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails