Friday, May 10, 2019

Paleo Ranch

"Our Paleo friendly, protein snacks are delicious, nutritious options for athletes, runners, yogis, CrossFitters, Paleo followers, parents, kids, anyone on the go, and everyone in-between."
I ... am not the target audience here, at all.  I fully acknowledge that.  But, I'm always interested in trying new products, particularly bars I can throw in my bag for when I'm out and about, particularly when they have protein but *not* whey protein (my body doesn't seem to care for it).  So Paleo Ranch was quasi interesting to me.

If you care about the Paleo part, yes, all the products are paleo.  And as for the Ranch, the beef is from free range cattle, the eggs from free range chickens, etc and of course there are no antibiotics, steroids, or growth hormones used.

Paleo Ranch makes two main products: jerky (bacon and beef) and bars ("skinny" or "mega"), all in a variety of flavors.  The Skinny bars are <200 calories, with 10 grams of protein, the Mega are not really that mega, but come in at ~300 calories, 15 grams of protein.  I tried a skinny bar, drawn in by the fact that they boast a decent amount of protein, from egg protein, rather than whey.

I have no interest in trying more.
Cherry Apple Walnut Skinny Bar.
"Apple pie or Cherry pie? Why not both! This protein-packed Skinny bar has apples, cherries – and pecans for good measure – keeping your taste buds percolating with pleasure and your body a finely tuned machine. OK, that last bit was a bit much…"
Ok, I had hope for this.

Cherry pie? Apple pie? Pecans?  NOT whey protein isolate?  Hope, I had hope.  And the bar really was a reasonable 190 calories, with 10 grams of protein.  If I could like this, it could be a fabulous thing to throw in my bag for a satisfying snack.

Once I opened it though, my hope started quickly dissipating.  It looked shiny and odd.  Like the kind of bar I don't like.  But I still gave it a try.

The texture was unpleasant.  Kinda chewy, but firm.  Like a really thick fruit bar.  Which is what it tasted like too, very fruity, not cherry as expected though given the name.  The strong flavor was dates and apple, which makes sense, as dates are the first ingredient.  I didn't taste any pecans, nor the namesake walnuts, nor the sunflower seeds, although there was a bit of texture from what was likely ground nuts and seeds, and a bit of bitterness. At least the egg white protein didn't taste funky?

Overall, this was clearly not for me - it was a healthy nutrition bar, just one with a description and ingredient lineup that sounds a bit better than most.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails