Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Toshi Yoroizuka, Tokyo

When I travel, I very rarely just stumble into a place with no advance research.  Particularly not when it comes to something as critical as dessert.  And yet, I did that, in Tokyo of all places, where I have an incredible list of places I want to check out.

The reason was simple.  Even I get burnt out on travel, on extra effort required to feed myself fabulous things, and I was jetlagged.  And it was raining.  I just couldn't be bothered to trek across town to somewhere I really wanted to go.
Mediocre Dessert Experience.
So I did ~10 minutes of research, and found Toshi Yoroizuka, located in the complex my hotel was part of.

It is famous apparently, chef on TV, etc, etc, but I was highly underwhelmed. 

Setting

Toshi Yoroizuka is located in the Midtown complex, adjacent to a large mall and hotel complex.

Storefront.
The entrance is off the terrace area, with malls on either side, but it has direct access from the outside, making it slightly classier than a food court entrance.
Pastry Displays.
At the front are displays of pre-made pastries available for takeout.  Standard french pastries, fairly elaborate, beautiful.
More Pastries.
I almost just got something from there to take back to my room, given aforementioned laziness.  But nothing *really* called out to me.

I was clearly in a mood, as there were plenty of things I do normally like, plenty of custards, creams, and puddings.
Toshi Mandel Krone Display.
An entirely separate case housed a signature specialty item: mandel krone.  Some kind of almond baked good?  I hadn't done enough research to know anything about this.
Counter.
I stuck with my plan though of not taking the easy takeout route, and was seated at the 10 person dessert counter.  It looks like any other bar, except that it serves desserts. 
Bar & "Kitchen".
In front of me was the bar (they do serve drinks too) and the prep station where each dish was assembled to order.

There was a group of 3 on one end, and a solo diner next to me, so I was able to watch 5 different items get built up, as we literally all ordered something different.

Food

Dessert Menu.
The menu was in Japanese only, and is fairly short, 6 items.  I was able to see 5 of 6, not bad!

Google Translate, and my quick Instagram search, made ordering fairly easy, and no English was spoken.

The options were mostly fruity based, most had a frozen component.

There were two types of parfait (peach or chocolate), each with a slew of components, that were actually fairly small once plated up.  I saw both of these being made.

Then there was a fascinating sounding (and looking) millefeuille, assembled to order with a "snow salt ice cream", but, alas, watermelon.  I had a little fear communicating my severe allergy at this point.

Next up, one I did consider, the souffle, but alas, it was rhubarb and orange, never my favorites.  The solo diner next to me ordered this, and it did look like a nicely made, very classic, souffle, of course, baked to order in front of us.

And finally, certainly the most interesting sounding, but alas the one I didn't get to see, a pistachio cream and ... gorgonzola ice cream and biscuits thing?

But I went for the final option, featuring two things I like: mango and dessert rice.
Complimentary Pre-Dessert: Pan de Gennes.
Once you order, you are given ... a pre-desert.  I was not expecting this.  I'm glad I saw it happening to others, as I would have been confused that I incorrectly ordered.

Every person I saw got something different.  I got ... some little almond (?) cake.  It was dense, and not really my thing at all.  I felt very rude not wanting to eat it.  I looked it up later, this was a Pan de Gennes, normally 250 yen.

I kinda liked the cream on it, but even that wasn't particularly special. I was jealous of other items I saw go to other people, as they looked more my thing.  But I also wasn't expecting a pre-desert, and didn't really want one.
Mangue risotto. 1350 jpy.
"Mango risotto: Dessert with plenty of rich mango. Put the mango sorbet on the risotto cooked with coconut milk and orange juice."

For my main attraction, I went for the mango dessert, not entirely knowing what it was, given that the menu was in Japanese only.  Above is the Google Translate version of what it was.

It was plated up quite nicely, which I expected.  Although, up, it kinda looked like it had antlers to me ...

It was fun watching it get made to order, as the server started with ... a whole mango.  And proceeded to use ... a whole mango.  A huge mango.

Let me describe it first.

At the base is coconut milk risotto, then cubes of baked mango, what seemed to be a little pastry cream and cream angalise, then a layer of mango sorbet, and then AN ENTIRE MANGO.  Oh, and then more mango sorbet.  And then cookie (antler) garnish.

This was really a lot of sweet.  Too much sweet.  And too much mango, at least for one person - a full mango on top, 2 scoops of mango sorbet, and cubes of what seemed to be slightly cooked mango under it all?  #mangoliscious but there is such a thing as too much.

But also, none of it was particularly good.

The mango sorbet was very very sweet.  Texture fine, but I'm not generally into sorbet anyway.  The mango on top was ... lackluster really.  I was hoping for better quality mango, expecting mango like I have in Sydney, not like in the US.  Kinda sour, just, not something to highlight at all.  The cooked cubes were a bit better.
Close Up.
Here you can see under the mango layers, the risotto (e.g. rice pudding), and cream.

The risotto and cream were ... fine.  Nothing special.  But the better components.

I wished I had someone with me to eat some, or that it was appropriate to leave some behind, but, I was at a counter in front of the chef, and everyone around me was finishing their dishes, or at least seemed to be trying, we were all slowing down quite a bit.  I kept eating it, not liking it, kinda sad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails