Thursday, December 01, 2022

Common Bond's Brasserie & Bakery, Houston

I discovered Common Bond in Houston on my very last full day in town.  I wish I had discovered it sooner, as it was super close to my hotel, had a fantastic menu, and what I had was quite good. 

"Common Bond's Brasserie & Bakery is located in the Bank of America Tower (800 Capitol St.) in Downtown Houston, Texas. The highly anticipated Brasserie is the company's first full-service dining establishment and shares the space with its popular Bakery. The new location is nearly 5,000 square feet and offers a spacious outdoor patio. The bright and colorful Brasserie is a full-service restaurant adjacent to Common Bond's signature Bakery counter and coffee bar.  "

I visited only in the morning for coffee and a pastry, totally on impulse, drawn in by the fantastic looking baked goods as I walked by.  I was in town any longer, I certainly would have returned to try more pastries, but also, the brunch lineup had some fascinating items like a sweet potato grits dish, or classic shrimp and grits, or biscuits and gravy, none of which I actually had very good versions of while in the south (the biscuits and gravy from my hotel restaurant, Zutro, were, um, among the worst I've ever had anywhere!).

I visited the bakery counter, in The Understory, an open air communal area at the base of a large office tower.  It is light filled, full of social spaces, and has several other businesses including another coffee shop, poke place, and more.

Service was good, the food and coffee great, and I'd definitely return if I was nearby again.

Decor.

Although the shop is in an open area without distinct walls, they do a nice job of decorating around to make it feel like you are in a relaxing coffee shop, even though it is just a place to line up and order at a counter. 

Large Americano. Half-caff. $4.03.
To go with my baked good, I also got coffee, and although it was still early, 8:30am, I'd already had half a mediocre regular coffee in my hotel room, and so I opted for half-caff.  I was standing nearby waiting for my order, and I heard the barista proclaim, "Oh, fuck, it is half-caff?  Damn".  I looked up and apologized, and she looked a little embarrassed that I had heard it, but mumbled that it was fine, she had just already started pulling a regular shot.  It took quite a while after that for my Americano to be ready, many more regular caffeine elaborate drinks that were ordered after me came out while I was still waiting.  I sorta felt like she was punishing me, but, maybe it just really interrupted her flow to do a decaf?

Anyway, it was a fine coffee. No odd funk, not too much acid, pretty drinkable, albeit a bit watery.  Served at the proper temp, nice and hot, not scalding. ***+.

Incredible Pastries.
The pastries literally all looked amazing.  I wanted them all.  I learned later that they are well known for their croissants, all of which were massive.  The pistachio croissant in particular has many fans, and is filled with a pistachio cream.  I was about to order it, literally, it was on the tip of my tongue, but I changed my mind at last minute.  I still sorta wish I had, and nearly tried to go back the next day to get it, but ran out of time.

The scones looked good as well, even the "Health Nut" one.  Lurking behind was a kouign amann and cookies.  I was so tempted by the kouign amann, always an epic pastry, but I moved on to the next section instead.
More Pastries.
The selection continued with muffins, and the more decadent items ... morning buns, sticky buns, kugelhoff (one version stuffed with Boston cream), and a very, very messy, and awesome, looking Nutella croissant thing that was covered in sticky ness and crispy chocolate balls.

I normally would be all for the decadent dessert items, but I had a hotel room still filled with desserts to finish up, including excellent pecan pie and chocolate cream pie from Goode Seafood Company, great Italian Cream cake and red velvet cake from Truth Barbecue, and fabulous creme brulee from Brasserie du Parc (review coming soon!), so I went with something more morning appropriate instead: a muffin.  Not normally what you'd expect from me, but, I think I was craving a good muffin after the lackluster ones earlier in the week from my hotel restaurant, Zutro.
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Muffin.  $4.25.
I opted for the most decadent of the muffins though, the hazelnut chocolate chip.

This was a very good muffin, exactly the style I like with a crispy top but very soft and moist inside.  It was far more hazelnut forward than chocolate, so it didn't really scream out "Nutella!", as I thought it might.  If you are looking for that, the Nutella croissant craziness most likely delivers in that department.

The crumble on top was quite flavorful from all the hazelnuts, and there was bits of hazelnut throughout, giving it a great texture.  Strong hazelnut flavor.  The chocolate aspect was less dominant, just small sized chips, and not tons of them, but the muffin was still lightly warm (it was that fresh from the oven!), and the chips were a bit melty, which was glorious.

Definitely a great muffin, perfect with my coffee, and I suspect great turned into dessert with some whipped cream too ... but mine didn't last past mid-morning.

****.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails