Monday, November 28, 2022

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs is a Vietnamese fast casual restaurant with a few locations in the Bay Area.  

"At Dinosaurs, we specialize in the Banh Mi. What is a Banh Mi?... It's a traditional Vietnamese Sandwich with French influences. Stacked with variations on cooked meats, green herbs, sweet pickled vegetables, sliced chili peppers and at least a swipe of mayonnaise, served in a crisp toasted baguette. Sandwiches we offer: The Special (pork combination), The Pork, The Chicken, The Meatball, The Spicy Tuna, The Crispy Tofu (vegan friendly option)."

They primarily make Vietnamese sandwiches, with a wide variety beyond your standard bahn mi.  Besides the sandwiches, Dinosaurs also makes spring rolls, available in 3 varieties: pork & shrimp, chicken & shrimp, or vegetarian with tofu and taro, and a few drinks.

I haven't actually visited a location myself, but got to enjoy their spring rolls at a popup event (they do a lot of catering).  I was quite impressed, and understand the 4 stars on Yelp.  I'd gladly try it again, and would love to try the bahn mi.

Pork & Shrimp Spring Roll. Vegan Fish Sauce.
"All include lettuce, cucumber, green apple, cilantro, mint, and rice noodles, wrapped in rice paper."

Although I was tempted by the vegetarian roll as I enjoy taro, I went for the shrimp and pork instead.  It came nicely constructed: tightly wrapped, with shrimp visible along the edge.  Really an attractive spring roll.  The roll was quite generously stuffed, with abundant rice noodles, herbs, and the fresh crunchy cucumber and apple.  The rice noodles and wrapper were soft and pliable.  All standard fillings, but fresh and well made.

The pork was the most exciting part of the roll, it was really quite flavorful and well seasoned.  It made the roll barely even require dipping sauce (yes, me, the sauce girl, says this!).  The shrimp was juicy and succulent.

Overall, nothing earth shattering about this, but it was far above average in execution and freshness. ****.

To go with my spring roll, I had the choice of dipping sauce: peanut, hoisin, or fish, all vegan.  Yes, vegan fish sauce.  The vegan fish sauce sounded the most unique, plus I had some peanut sauce at home in case I didn't like it.  The sauce tasted like, well, fish sauce?  I still don't understand how it was vegan.  It had the fishy funk to it, and was flavorful and light at the same time.  ****.

I was very pleased with this dish, in particular because the pork was so flavorful.  I'd get it again, although I really want to try the bahn mi next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails