Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Padre, Krakow

Wow, what a great find in Krakow.  Padre, an unassuming restaurant located right off the main square of old town.   Given the location so close to touristville, and the name, I wrote it off when my co-workers said they were going there.  I assumed it was going to be a mediocre Mexican restaurant.  Why on earth go there when in Krakow?
"We invite you to embark on a culinary journey in the heart of Krakow! Our renowned restaurant is a place full of history and exquisite flavors. You’ll find us right by the Planty Park, hidden in the undergrounds of Krakow’s Main Square.
We place great importance on continuous development and keep up with the latest culinary trends while never forgetting Polish tradition. We’ll introduce you to a world of previously unknown flavors and experiences. Our dishes blend European cuisine with accents of Polish cuisine. In addition to modern dishes, you’ll find outstanding żurek (sour rye soup), traditional pork cutlet, and a true artisan cheesecake. You can also try interesting wine from a Polish vineyard or excellent beer from a Krakow brewery."

I went to get dinner elsewhere near my hotel, but then idly pulled up the menu for Padre, saw foie gras, and rushed to join them, for a post-dinner foie, while they had their full dinenrs.

We were seated outside in the garden as they had no space for the group of 9, and although it was a bit chilly for me, it was nice to have a private garden.  Service was ... minimal.

I'd love to go back for a full meal, as they all gave it rave reviews, and I loved what I did have.
Foie Gras Terrine. 67 PLN.
"Mango / passion fruit / apricot / kumquat / brioche."

I was there for the foie gras.  I was impressed the moment it hit the table.  It was shockingly good.  Beautiful plating and unique pairings too.

Smooth creamy foie.  Well seasoned.  Great flavor.  **** foie.

The kumquat, passion fruit, apricot, and mango elements were unlike any other pairing I've had with foie gras, but it totally worked.  Tart, acidic, sweet, fruity.  Check, check, check, check.  ****.

Even the very lightly toasted brioche was nicely done, the perfect vessel for it, and not just a generic throwaway base.  ****.

**** all around, maybe even ****+.  Truly a stunning dish. 
Buffalo Mozzarella Salad. 45 PLN.
"Romaine lettuce / guacamole / radish / balsamic / chives."

Others opted for salads to start.  I had a bite of the mozzarella, it was average.  I'm allergic to avocado, so the guac in here that people mixed in made it a no-go for me.  But people loved this and the other salads. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails