Monday, May 20, 2024

Dobra Pączkarnia, Krakow

As you know from reading my blog, I eat a lot of donuts.  At least 1-2 a week in my regular life.  But when I travel internationally, sure, I'll try a donut from the hotel breakfast buffet if I really want one, but mostly, donuts aren't what I seek out.  I had no intensions of eating donuts in Poland, but then I passed by shop after shop, with frequent lines.  People seemed really into donuts there.  The shops were nearly as plentiful as the lody (ice cream) selling storefronts, which in some areas literally seemed to be 1/3 of the shops.  Donuts and ice cream.  Huh. I had no idea they were the foundation of the Polish dining scene, at least in Krakow (of course, there were plenty of pierogies and sausages too, we'll get to those soon!).

I did a quick search, and learned that donuts *are* definitely a thing in Poland.  A different style than American donuts.  In lots of "top street food" or "top snack" lists for things to eat in Poland.  

"Why are our donuts so delicious?

Dobra Pączkarnia was created to provide a sweet treat for you and the smile of your loved ones. We make our donuts by hand and do not contain any artificial additives or preservatives. Every day, our confectioners ensure their highest quality, so they are always warm and fresh. It's hard to resist the taste and smell of donuts from Dobra Pączkarnia. See for yourself! Throughout the year, we provide you with a large selection of our donut specialties, both with traditional, fruit and original flavors. Marmalade, fruit filling or cream? The decision is yours. Our offer is constantly enriched with new flavor inspirations."

While there are many small bakeries known for the donuts, Dobra Pączkarnia definitely owns the franchise market in Krakow.  Like Starbucks in a city in US, every other street had a shop.  The chain is relatively young, started only in 1989.

I see why they are so popular, and I'd gladly return.

Amazing looking donuts.
"Fresh, tasty, hand-made on site - every day we fry thousands of our best donut specialties. Donuts from Dobra Pączkarnia are distinguished by more than fluffy, delicate dough, perfect shape, bright ring and richly stuffed interior. In each of them you will find love and care for the highest quality ingredients. We are proud that we can give you our treasure - the unique taste hidden in our donuts!"

Dobra Pączkarnia makes 3 product lines: pretzels, ring donuts, and the signature items, the filled donuts.  I never saw anyone get pretzels or ring donuts, and they aren't even shown in the displays in the windows of the shops.  The filled donuts are the thing.  Most are glazed, although some are powder sugar topped.

The filled donuts come in several styles: fruity, creamy, or "mixed".  Each category has a slew of options, so I won't enumerate here. 
Donut Box.
In Poland, donut boxes are not the traditional pink we have in the US.  I'll admit, these boxes looked classier, even though the donuts were coming from a chain.
Delicious Donuts: Pistachio, Fruit, Nutella, Rose (clockwise, from top left). 
My co-worker picked up 4 fresh donuts one morning, and brought them to share.  He wasn't sure what he got.  I tried 3 of the 4, and sadly missed out on the last one, which turned out to be rose, and a crowd favorite.

They all were very good, clearly fresh donuts (hot when he picked them up).  Not greasy at all.  Light and fluffy donuts, slightly sweet dough.  Well glazed, good sweetness level, slight crust.  The base of all the donuts was really was top notch, and surprised me, as I really did think these would be kinda generic chain donuts.  **** base.  

Now for the specific flavors:

Pistachio (paczek z nadzieniem pistacjowym): 
The top left donut here was the pistachio.  It had a pistachio paste inside amongst the layers.  I liked it quite a bit.  Nice textures inside.  Not overly sweet, besides the glaze.  My second favorite.  ****.

Fruity (unsure which kind):
Next, the middle one.  It had some kind of fruit jam filling, but I really do not know which it was.  I think plum or forest fruits?  But there are 16 flavors of fruity options, so I may have been wrong.  The filling was not too sweet, was flavorful.  My least favorite of the bunch, just because it was the least unique, more akin to flavors I'm used to.  But still a good donut.  ***+.

Nutella:
"A treat for Nutella lovers! A favorite of young and old, a donut filled with Nutella hazelnut and cocoa cream, immersed in a classic glaze with the addition of nut sprinkles. Very, very sweet!"

The far right one had a chocolate filling.  I'm not entirely sure which of the chocolatey options this was, but I think it was the Nutella.  There are also several kinds of chocolate confection based options.  It had a few bits of nut on the exterior as well.  The smooth chocolatey filling was the sweetest of the ones I tried, and seemingly what I was in the mood for, as it was my favorite.  I think this would be amazing warm.  ****.

Rose (roza):
"Aromatic rose marmalade brings back memories of childhood and grandma's cooking. Topped with an orange peel decoration. A real delight for the palate!"

And finally, the rose, which I didn't get to try (bottom left).  The others all commented on the intense flavor though. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails