Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Waffling Leftovers: Eggplant Parmesan

Hopefully by now, you are familiar with my Waffling Leftovers series, where, each week, I review my experience in taking regular leftovers and sticking them into my waffle iron.  Sometimes the results are glorious, other times ... not so much.

Like last week's lasagna, eggplant parmesan is a success story.  So, to answer the question, "Will it waffle?", the answer is yes, but, with some caveats.
Eggplant Parmesan.
Here we have eggplant parmesan, pictured here in front, in its original version.  I had leftovers, obviously.

I figured waffling it would work like pizza, with the cheese bubbling out and getting crispy and delicious.

I reheated most of my leftover eggplant parmesan the traditional way, in the toaster oven.  It reheated like a charm, bubbly and just as delicious as the original.  I had no reason to waffle the rest, since the standard reheating technique worked fine, just like with lasagna.
Before: Leftover Eggplant Parmesan.
But ... I saved a tiny chunk to waffle.  Because, what else was I supposed to do while the rest was heating up up the toaster oven?  I had to entertain myself some way!
Waffled!
The first chunk I put in at the standard 400 degree temperature recommended by my waffle iron for making actual waffles.  The temperature was clearly too high, as burned.

But the potential was clear.  The eggplant was hot and tender.  The cheese was bubbly, crispy, and quite delicious (where it wasn't burnt).

The next batch I put in at 300 degrees instead.  It turned into a mess.  I wish I'd taken a photo.  No structural integrity at all, just cheese and sauce everywhere.  I waited patiently, thinking perhaps it just needed more time, like many items sometimes do when waffling.  No luck, still a disaster.

I cranked it up to 350, and that did the trick.  The cheese crisped up just enough to hold it all together.  And then I devoured it, right off the waffle iron, not even bothering with a plate.  I obviously forgot to take a photo, I was just too excited by the success.  I also didn't offer any to Ojan.  Whoops.

Conclusion?  Yes, it will waffle, but only when set to 350 degrees.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails