Friday, February 26, 2016

Jimmybars, Canada

One of the perks of my job is that I get to visit many other offices worldwide.  Not only do I get to travel, which is awesome itself, but I also get to explore the cuisine, even when at the office.  And I'm not just talking about the nice cafes, I'm talking about one of my favorite things: snacks!  Why?  Because each office has a little kitchen area, stocked with assorted snacks to get us through our days.  They mostly tend to have have lots of chips and nutrition bars, but some even have ice cream freezers (which you probably remember me talking about from Sydney and Zurich).

On my recent travels, I stopped by our office in Waterloo, Canada, where I did really enjoy their ice cream freezer offerings  (from NestlĂ©, but oh so much better than what we get in the US!).  But I also checked out some of their snack bars, which were perfect for when my timezone confused body needed a snack between meals.  After some mixed success with the Kewaza energy balls, it was time to try something new: Jimmybars.

Jimmybars come from a company founded by ... Jim.  It isn't a Canadian company though, they are based in Chicago.  Jim learned that he was allergic to dairy, eggs, and gluten, and decided to create a bar that he could eat, after being scared off by the laundry list of ingredients found in most bars at the grocery store.  His bars come in 4 varieties, with rather silly names, in two sizes.  All are gluten-free, dairy-free, etc.

The company's description reads:
"Gluten-free, dairy-free, natural, YUMMY. This bar is ridiculously healthy! We only use real, honest food, no white sugar or preservatives. This bar is perfect for a mid-day snack, meal replacement, or a pre-workout boost."

Jimmy Bars sounded probably too healthy for my tastes, but, they had tempting sounding names, so I dug in.  Spoiler: I still don't like date based bars.
Super Hip Chocolate Chip.
"Made from Non-Dairy Chocolate Chips, Peanuts, Dates, Almonds, Almond Butter, Walnuts & Crisp Brown Rice."

I started with the "Super Hip" option, promising me chocolate chips and peanuts, two items I do always love, and think go perfectly together.

The bar looked good, incredibly chocolately, loaded up with bits of the assorted chopped nuts and crispies.

But it was very bitter, most certainly not a candy bar, as it looked.  The only sweetener used is dates, there is no further sugar added, which made this just far more bitter than I wanted.

I liked the crunch from crispies, but the nuts were all ground up bits, so I didn't taste distinct nuts either.

Neither Ojan nor I wanted to finish this, despite being hungry, and stuck in traffic waiting to cross the US border (long story).
Peanut Butter Clutter.
"Loaded with ample protein and made from Peanuts, Dates, Almonds, Peanut Butter, Honey & Crisp Brown Rice."

Next I moved on to another bar promising me more peanuts.

This one did not suffer from the bitterness of the previous bar, as it had honey in addition to the dates.  Honey and peanuts make a good combination, so this was an excellent choice of natural sweetener.

The bar had a similar consistency as the Super Hip, very dense, but not bad exactly.  And, it did actually taste like peanuts.  But since I don't really like dates, the date flavor still overwhelmed this too much for me, and the bits of crisp rice inside were just a bit odd, crispy, yes, but not particularly good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails