Friday, October 28, 2016

Andechser Natur, Germany

Andechser Natur is a dairy product producer in Germany, all organic and natural, hence the "natur" part of the name.  They make milk, cream, butter, cheese, yogurt, and desserts (puddings!).  I discovered the products while visiting our Munich office, much like the delicious soy based Alrpo puddings I reviewed last week.

I didn't get a chance to try the desserts, only the yogurt.  My hotel had the plain yogurt in glass jars, which I thought was a cute packaging, but the yogurt was just fairly plain tart yogurt, and I didn't really pay attention to it.  I didn't take a photo, I didn't write a review.

And then I found the flavored yogurt at my office.  It was not just any old flavored yogurt.
Bio-Stracciatella.
"Organic yoghurt mild with stracciatella preparation with 3.7% at the minimum in milk content, 2% chocolate chips in the end product."

I love a piece of chocolate with my coffee.  And, in the US, you can sometimes find chocolate in breakfast items, like chocolate croissants or chocolate glazed donuts.  But, for some reason, you don't see much chocolate at breakfast in general.

The same isn't true in Germany.  My hotel had muesli with chocolate in it that I totally fell in love with.  It left you with a bowl of chocolate milk at the end!  Even McDonald's has a chocolate filled breakfast sandwich (the McToast Choco).  So when I saw chocolate chip yogurt, I can't say I was totally surprised.  Intrigued, but, not surprised.
Bio-Stracciatella: Inside.
I wasn't really sure what to expect from chocolate chip yogurt.  Chocolate chips with frozen yogurt, sure.  But, chocolate chips in ... yogurt?

Some yogurt is tart, and chocolate with that would be strange.  Lots of low fat yogurt is crazy sweet, but, I still had a hard time imagining chocolate making sense in a sweet yogurt.

So, I took a tentative spoonful.  And ... hmm, it kinda worked.  The yogurt was smooth and creamy, almost like a pudding, but, not quite as rich, and not as sweet.  It somehow wasn't really tart nor sweet.  It was, actually, a remarkably good base for chocolate.

The chocolate came in the form of chocolate flecks, just enough of them to keep you satisfied and hunting for more, not overwhelming the fact that you were actually eating yogurt and not dessert.

I'll admit that I was pleasantly surprised by this, and would gladly have another.  It does make me wonder about putting chocolate on my yogurt parfaits in the future ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails