Friday, October 21, 2016

Alpro Non-Dairy Puddings, Europe

Alpro is a Belgian company that produces alternative dairy products, distributed throughout Europe.  I discovered them in Germany, while visiting my Munich office, where our microkitchens were stocked with Alpro products.  At the time, I had no idea the products were not dairy based.

They make a variety of milks (soy, almond, cashew, hazelnut, coconut, rice, oat, and blends), all in a number of flavors, plus yogurts and a cream alternative, and ... desserts!  You can guess which items I was drawn to, not even knowing what they were.

The dessert line consists of 4 puddings,  ice cream, and a custard, all soy based.  The pudding flavors are vanilla, chocolate, dark chocolate, and caramel, except with far better names, like "Heavenly Velvet Vanilla", "Silky Smooth Chocolate", "Devilishly Dark Chocolate", and "Sweet Creamy Caramel" (these are the UK names, the product names I saw in Munich were in, well, German).
Softer Karamell (Sweet Creamy Caramel).
From the picture on the packaging, I really wasn't entirely sure what the product was.  I guessed yogurt, but hoped it was pudding.  I guessed caramel flavored.

I was basically right.
Softer Karamell (Sweet Creamy Caramel): Inside!
"Alpro caramel dessert is a delightful treat for your taste buds. Made with only the finest ingredients, this delicious, plant-based dessert makes any occasion special. Indulge in the sweet taste of caramel, with none of the regret!"

This was incredible.

I know now that it is soy pudding, fairly healthy soy pudding at that.  But ... it was so good, I really wouldn't have guessed this.

It was creamy.  The caramel flavor was more like butterscotch.  I loved it.  The soy undertone just added to the flavor, rather than tasting artificial.

If you topped it with some whipped cream, or a crumble of some sort, it would be a top notch dessert.  Even without, it was good, and perhaps even a decently healthy treat.
Dunkle Schokolade Feinherb (Devilishly Dark Chocolate) Dessert.
"Small, dark and devilishly delicious, Alpro dark chocolate dessert combines silky plant-based creaminess with the seductive powers of real, dark chocolate to tempt you. This wholesome indulgence is the perfect treat."

Next I tried the super dark chocolate  It was also quite good.

Thick, very rich, dark chocolate pudding.  Honestly, I would not know it was soy based.  The flavor was good, the consistency was good.  No plastic-y packaged pudding here.

The Alpro website suggests topping it with cookie crumbles or nuts, or enjoying as is right from the tub, which is how I did it, but I do agree with their suggestions.

Really excellent, although I preferred the caramel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails